PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Seattle Mariners Jersey #3 -- Your Opinions?

commando
02-18-2013, 02:18 AM
Hello Everyone,

As many of you know, Kruk Cards did a huge jersey purchase directly from the Mariners organization. As I was thumbing through their listings, I noticed they had a jersey tagged from 1995 with the number "3" on back. The nameplate says "Alvarez." I have not received the jersey yet in the mail, so all I have at this time are the photos taken by Kruk.

I have no idea who "Alvarez" is, and am hoping maybe one of you guys might know. The photo is a bit blurry, but it appears that there are signs of use on the lower back of the shirt. Upon receiving the shirt, I will be able to examine it for the possibility of a nameplate and/or number change.

Of course, ARod is the only player credited with wearing the number 3 during the regular season (he played in 48 games that year, from May 7 through Sep. 24). Regardless of what this may be, I thought it was cool to find a 1995 jersey with the number "3" that came straight from the Mariners (I don't think Kruk pulled any shenanigans here either, as they listed this as a common jersey).

A pretty interesting item, I think.... But who the heck is this Alvarez guy?

trsent
02-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Hello Everyone,

As many of you know, Kruk Cards did a huge jersey purchase directly from the Mariners organization. As I was thumbing through their listings, I noticed they had a jersey tagged from 1995 with the number "3" on back. The nameplate says "Alvarez." I have not received the jersey yet in the mail, so all I have at this time are the photos taken by Kruk.

I have no idea who "Alvarez" is, and am hoping maybe one of you guys might know. The photo is a bit blurry, but it appears that there are signs of use on the lower back of the shirt. Upon receiving the shirt, I will be able to examine it for the possibility of a nameplate and/or number change.

Of course, ARod is the only player credited with wearing the number 3 during the regular season (he played in 48 games that year, from May 7 through Sep. 24). Regardless of what this may be, I thought it was cool to find a 1995 jersey with the number "3" that came straight from the Mariners (I don't think Kruk pulled any shenanigans here either, as they listed this as a common jersey).

A pretty interesting item, I think.... But who the heck is this Alvarez guy?

1995 was a strike year and replacement players were recruited.

Chris Alvarez was a Seattle Mariners replacement rooster player but never played in a Major League game.

trsent
02-18-2013, 02:48 AM
I found the team replacement roster, so if Kruk has any of these players in their inventory, which I see they are selling as team issued with possibility of being used, here is a list of the M's replacement players from 1995:

Pitchers: Craig Weissmann, Pat Rice, Carlos Carrasco, Chad Wiesner, Jeff Perry, John Miglio, Barry Aden, Chuck Stanhope, Rick Bannon, Jeff Pearce, Kerry Ligtenberg, Joe Law, Randy McMament, Clint Gould, Kevin Ehl, John Duffy, Roberto Pena.

Catchers: Troy Rusk, Scot Sealy, Jon Fuller, Dan DiMascio.

Infielders: Jim Paciorek, Chris Alvarez, Craig Bryant, Shane Letterio, Rick Morris, Selwyn Young.

Outfielders: Rickey Coleman, Ron Pezzoni, Delwyn Young, Joaquin Contreras.

commando
02-18-2013, 03:28 AM
I found the team replacement roster, so if Kruk has any of these players in their inventory, which I see they are selling as team issued with possibility of being used, here is a list of the M's replacement players from 1995:

Pitchers: Craig Weissmann, Pat Rice, Carlos Carrasco, Chad Wiesner, Jeff Perry, John Miglio, Barry Aden, Chuck Stanhope, Rick Bannon, Jeff Pearce, Kerry Ligtenberg, Joe Law, Randy McMament, Clint Gould, Kevin Ehl, John Duffy, Roberto Pena.

Catchers: Troy Rusk, Scot Sealy, Jon Fuller, Dan DiMascio.

Infielders: Jim Paciorek, Chris Alvarez, Craig Bryant, Shane Letterio, Rick Morris, Selwyn Young.

Outfielders: Rickey Coleman, Ron Pezzoni, Delwyn Young, Joaquin Contreras.

Holy cow Joel, that's an awesome find! Many thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to seeing if there were any name or number changes on the shirt, level of use, etc. I wonder, did these replacement guys ever suit up and practice, or play any exhibition games?

slab0meat
02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Great info, Joel... thanks for that.

Sabresfreak
02-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Interesting article!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006342/index.htm

It also might spare the Seattle Mariners a hefty clubhouse catering bill. Fans kept hearing how hungry scabs were to play. but this is ridiculous. The replacement Mariners scarfed down chips, ice cream and cheese at such an alarming rate in the Arizona Faux League that Seattle manager Lou Piniella, upon noticing the bulging waistlines, ordered lunchtime rations of half a sandwich and a bowl of soup.

•Doug Corbett, the 42-year-old pitching coach at Jacksonville University who last pitched in the big leagues in 1987, signed a minor league contract with the Atlanta Braves one morning, threw two scoreless innings in an exhibition game two hours later and then was excused from camp for two days so he could join his college team on a road trip to Western Kentucky.

commando
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Well, the jersey arrived today. First of all, let me say that I have always enjoyed doing business with Kruk Cards (for almost 20 years now). I requested an LOA when I purchased the jersey, and owner George Kruk personally typed one up for me. A truly first-class operation.

The jersey appears to be all original with no nameplate or number changes (it would been cool if a "Rodriguez" nameplate had previously been there!) It does indeed show game use, especially across the lower back as seen in the photos. There are still two Mariners Team Store tags attached in the neckline. If you've never seen a mid-nineties grey Mariners jersey up close, they are absolutely gorgeous. I'm tempted to keep this for my collection, but really need to stick to my 1980s baseball and Houston Gamblers collection.

Though there's probably no way to prove it (unless any of you know one of the equipment managers from back then), I do find it interesting that this shirt was ARod's jersey size at the time. It would be logical to believe that the replacement players showed up and were fitted with jerseys that the team already had in stock, then the appropriate nameplates were added.

All in all, this is a neat piece of history from a dubious time in professional baseball history.