PDA

View Full Version : Mears Feb auction - cheap NBA jerseys??

hairyangryfella
02-21-2013, 10:46 PM
I know many people have been looking for a Charles Barkley game worn jersey, and I was stunned to see one sell for only $485... then I clicked into the auction:
http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=53193&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=119&seo=1994-95-Charles-Barkley-Phoenix-Suns-Jersey-%28MEARS-LOA%29

"Offered is a Charles Barkley Phoenix Suns jersey. Champion size 52 and exclusivity tags sewn to tail. Team name, number and player name sewn to jersey in white on black double tackle twill. (B0311)

(MEARS Auction LOA Cert)"

It's listed under basketball > game worn > jerseys

However the description is extremely vague and has zero mention of any use or even if it is a game jersey (issued OR worn). Are they deliberately being vague to avoid legitimacy issues? I just don't understand this...

The Malone, Ewing, Robinson, Stockon and O'Neal all also don't say anything about being game worn... is this shady by Mears?

esquiresports
02-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't believe any of these were game worn. It could definitely be more clear. I find myself generally having to email questions to auction houses on lots that I am looking to bid on due to lack of detail, etc. I almost always get a timely response.

both-teams-played-hard
02-22-2013, 02:57 PM
... is this shady by Mears?

Absolutely not.

swainer
02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Absolutely not.
Pardon my ignorance as I've never purchased from Mears but the jerseys are listed under Game Used Equipment>Jerseys and it says it comes with a Mears Auction LOA cert. So if it isn't game used, what is the LOA certifying? That you purchased it from Mears? It seems deceiving to me.

CPuente57
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM
To me it's kind of deceiving but they do cover themselves by not mentioning game used nor having game used in the title.

GoTigers
02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
It comes with an LOA certifying its authenticity.. Meaning its an authentic pro cut jersey, and not retail. They do not give it a grade it mention game use anywhere.

hairyangryfella
02-23-2013, 04:13 AM
It comes with an LOA certifying its authenticity.. Meaning its an authentic pro cut jersey, and not retail. They do not give it a grade it mention game use anywhere.

But a Pro-Cut is not 'game worn', though it's listed under that category. Is $500+ a fair price for just a Pro-Cut jersey? I've seen actual game jerseys sell for only a few hundred more, it just seems far too vague/irresponsible of them.

both-teams-played-hard
02-23-2013, 06:41 AM
I do not acknowledge letters of authenticity. I do my own research and ask questions to sellers about items that I am interested in.

cohibasmoker
02-23-2013, 08:41 AM
But a Pro-Cut is not 'game worn', though it's listed under that category. Is $500+ a fair price for just a Pro-Cut jersey? I've seen actual game jerseys sell for only a few hundred more, it just seems far too vague/irresponsible of them.

I'm kind of in the middle of the road on this one. I do see what this member is saying. Why was it listed under the "game used equipment" section? However, another member does point out it does not say "game worn" in the title or in the description.

I guess we can make our own decisions on this one.

Just some thoughts.

Jim

tella27
02-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I talked to Troy from MEARS on these when I was looking to sell a few items in their auction. He told me that these were NOT game worn jerseys. MEARS is pretty solid and are easy to contact and get questions answered. Now Grey Flannel on the other hand talks to you like you're an idiot.

mickeymbz
02-23-2013, 09:23 PM

They have an LOA to authentic that its an authentic pro-cut??? why do you need an LOA for an authentic pro-cut.c'mon..! i've seen tons of crap that these guys have authenticated... and they WERE trying to make bucks by listing these under game worn category but failing to mention as "game used" in title of each lot... there are a lotta people out there who would go by their so-called reputation and bid on these as game used. They knew it was a gray area that they can fall back on and say they DIDNt list as game used. tons of garbage on eBay with mears LOA's. GFC has had their issues but IMO they have come back strong with great stuff in past couple yrs.

mickeymbz
02-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Not vague/irresponsible when they knowingly did this with purpose of deception... Lotta u guys out there will post that I'm outta line for rippin on such a "reputable" company... But BS,,, They are in the business of selling game used items and so -called experts,,,should be NO excuse why an item is listed this way. A collector i know of,told me in the past that they have asked him to look at a particular item and give his opinion of its authenticity as a game used item. Why does a company that authentic items goto a collector to get his opinion??? Arent they the experts (so-called)?

mickeymbz
02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
I do not acknowledge letters of authenticity. I do my own research and ask questions to sellers about items that I am interested in.
Best post on this thread!

tella27
02-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Not vague/irresponsible when they knowingly did this with purpose of deception... Lotta u guys out there will post that I'm outta line for rippin on such a "reputable" company... But BS,,, They are in the business of selling game used items and so -called experts,,,should be NO excuse why an item is listed this way. A collector i know of,told me in the past that they have asked him to look at a particular item and give his opinion of its authenticity as a game used item. Why does a company that authentic items goto a collector to get his opinion??? Arent they the experts (so-called)?

No matter what you say or how many "collectors you know said this or that" MEARS is one of if not the biggest name in game worn authentication. I find if funny that you take 2nd hand info as fact over a very reputable company. I'm not saying they are flawless but even Meigray has made mistakes and they get their items direct from the team/players. If you are aware of a company that is better than MEARS please share it with us.

I guess it comes down to the buyer - if you want to be sure you'll need to research it yourself and if you're not sure dont buy.

mickeymbz
02-24-2013, 12:51 AM
Whatev... Im not basing my opinion on just that,, seen too many time garbage they write letters for.almost laughable the comparison to meigray. Yes they are the biggest name in LOA's so thus my point ,,,they should know better than hide behind some BS excuse for this deception,,, yrs ago there was a dude named Lou that many touted as the biggest name in authentication.... down the road you will see no dif

mickeymbz
02-24-2013, 02:08 AM

again, without a doubt, not only the best POST of this thread but easily the most intelligent.

but also a good quote: I guess it comes down to the buyer - if you want to be sure you'll need to research it yourself and if you're not sure dont buy.

LOA's are pieces of paper that companies ,like Mears, that they make their bread and butter on that gives some collectors piece of mind of what they bought is legit. As stated by previous poster,, Meigray has made some mistakes....
Yes, if thats the case, they were genuine mistakes...and there arent many. But these jerseys on Mears auction,,,is a mistake?? NOT!,,The LOA posted with those non-game used jerseys (authentic pro-cuts) is deception..., also NOT a mistake by Mears are the numerous LOA's for a lotta garbage out there.

trsent
02-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Last month's auction had quite a few pro-cut jerseys from the 1990's - Awesome jerseys and I lost the bids on every one. I never thought they may be game used, I don't even look at the category when looking at auctions - I immediately knew they were pro-cut jersey.

By the way, when I have sold pro-cut or game issued style jersey in the past on eBay I always list them in Game Used category as they are game cut jerseys and they should be in this category. I also list the title and description not to mislead any chance of game use.

The NBA pro-cut jerseys often sell for more than game used jerseys (of lesser players) which is an odd happening but I've seen it from time to time.