PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Game-Used/Issued Jerseys

arminter1989
02-22-2013, 11:31 PM
I was just curious how you can tell the difference between game-used jerseys and game-issued jerseys. I have recently began collecting Brave's jerseys and wondered if there were any differences(besides dirt marks). I've noticed that MLB Authentication will designate some jerseys as game issued. Does this mean they have not been used during a game? Thanks for any information.

MarlinsFan1993
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
I was just curious how you can tell the difference between game-used jerseys and game-issued jerseys. I have recently began collecting Brave's jerseys and wondered if there were any differences(besides dirt marks). I've noticed that MLB Authentication will designate some jerseys as game issued. Does this mean they have not been used during a game? Thanks for any information.

There are quite a few identifiers for game use. Obviously dirt is the easiest but there are several more including piling (loose threads from repeated washing), wash tag fading/crumpling, and letters/patches on the jersey being warped or bent.

As far as the MLB authentication I take most of it with a grain of salt. If the jersey is attributed to a game it is used (even if the player sat the bench the entire game). However often times jerseys in the MLB database are designated as simply game issued or autographed yet shows ton of use based on the identifiers listed above. The reason being because any jersey which is not physically witness by the authenticator present as being taken off the field will not be designated as game used by the MLB authentication (an example would be jerseys that have been used throughout the season by a player and our pull straight from their locker at season's end).

For me, of the jersey shows clear use, it's game used regardless of what it comes up in the database.

Hope this helps!

arminter1989
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the great information. From looking at jerseys, the best way to definitively determine game use is to photo-match the jersey. MLB authentication seems to be sub-par in their descriptions at best. It would be nice if MLB would keep track of each game that a jersey is used as opposed to authenticating the jersey to the last used game.