PDA

View Full Version : ebay 1969 Packers game worn jersey

packerfan
02-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Does anyone else have problems with this 1969 Packers jersey? While I'm by no means an expert on all Packer jerseys, about the only thing that appears correct is that it is a durene jersey. Other than that, the cut around the neck (the neck opening should be cut into the shoulder area), the number font, and even the sleeves look wrong on this jersey. If this is a legit packers jersey please let me know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-JOHN-ROWSER-GREEN-BAY-PACKERS-GAME-WORN-DURENE-JERSEY-HEAVY-USE-w-MEARS-LOA-/281070010180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417113ff44#ht_2709wt_1141

Flamechicken
02-26-2013, 01:11 PM
It was originally sold by Mears in their Dec. 2012 auction.

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=52507

I'm not sure why Mears never attributed it to a player like the Ebay listing does.

I agree on the cut of the neck. All the pics I've been able to find has the front horizontal seam running across the lower neck line.

On another note, why would you want to restore the number instead of keeping it like it came off the field?

Mike

genius
02-26-2013, 01:52 PM
number font off (where's the "Packer 5", also it does seem like some of them had a different style of 5 but still this one seems too thick), NFL patch too close to the numbers so not a style match with the Adderley jersey, no tagging. It's possible that buried under all the restoration it's a real Packers jersey with all of the repairs but the numbers and patch aren't right, again in my opinion. And the color even seems a bit off to my eye, maybe a shade too light with the green but could just be my imagination, all of the above just my opinions. A question I like to always ask though is if not a Packers jersey, what is it?

Here are some 1969 Packers photos. http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=2&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=packers+1969&assetType=image

both-teams-played-hard
02-26-2013, 05:35 PM
Does the NFL 50 year patch look original to anyone? Looks minty and un-used.

genius
02-26-2013, 05:50 PM

helmets
02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
This jersey originally sold on ebay perhaps 4-6 months ago. I tried to buy it before there were bids. It had original numbers that were the older Packer font from prior to 1966. They were tattered and hanging on the jersey. The sleeve numbers were in better shape and you could see that it was an early 60's Packer jersey from the font of the #5. I thought it might be an Emlen Tunnell jersey. It sat at less than 50 bucks for days. Apparently someone told the seller that it might be a Tunnell as he ended it and relisted it as a Tunnell jersey. I threw a bid at it during the last few seconds and was the backup bidder. I was going to keep it the way it was and frame it - squishing it in the frame to keep the tattered numbers in place for display. Next thing I know it is on Mears with new numbers - that are not any Packer font. Then I see the reproduction shriveled up NFL 50 year patch on it. As an old helmet friend of mine used to say, "Aiy -yi-yi." Now it is back on ebay after selling or perhaps not selling through Mears - with a Mears LOA. Yikes.

Horrible. Just horrible.

genius
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
That is unfortunate to say the least!

BrianK
02-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Very depressing.

Flamechicken
02-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Really good and interesting info Helmets, thanks for the post.

Mike

G1X
02-26-2013, 09:15 PM
For educational purposes, could someone please post a photo(s) comparing an actual 50th NFL patch to the reproduction patch.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

commando
02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
I know I have posted these photos before, but now's a good time to post them again... Throughout the 1960s, the Packers would recycle old game jerseys for use in practice. You can clearly see damage to many of the numbers, and the jersey in question might have even been on the practice field that day (preparing for Super Bowl II).

The improper restoration of this jersey is unfortunate. I would advise everyone to do as much research as possible before altering (restoring) a jersey.

Yes, that is Bart Starr wearing the jersey of fellow Hall of Famer Jim Ringo #51. Backup quarterback Zeke Bratkowski is wearing the jersey of a lineman, #61.

cohibasmoker
02-26-2013, 11:37 PM
For educational purposes, could someone please post a photo(s) comparing an actual 50th NFL patch to the reproduction patch.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Hope this helps.

Jim

G1X
02-26-2013, 11:48 PM
Jim,

Thanks so much for posting. I am assuming that the reproduction is on the left. Is there a difference in the way the two are made, material, etc.?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

cohibasmoker
02-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Does the NFL 50 year patch look original to anyone? Looks minty and un-used.

It does look like an original patch to me. I've noticed that in the majority of authentic NFL 50th Anniversary patches, most have a straight blue line on the left side while the right curves into the center of the patch.

To me, the condition of the patch doesn't match-up the condition of the jersey.

Jim

cohibasmoker
02-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Jim,

Thanks so much for posting. I am assuming that the reproduction is on the left. Is there a difference in the way the two are made, material, etc.?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Yes - the authentic patch is wool/cotton design and the repro is a cheap design. I can send them to you if you wish?

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

cohibasmoker
02-26-2013, 11:56 PM
Jim,

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Maybe this scan will help

G1X
02-27-2013, 01:49 AM
Jim,

Yes, that helped a lot. Thanks for your help as always.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

gkdannecker@yahoo.com
02-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Has anyone told the seller? And did the seller add the patch? In he words of my 4 year old So so sad.

mickeymbz
02-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Has anyone told the seller? And did the seller add the patch? In he words of my 4 year old So so sad.
Better question is WHY did this jersey recieve a LOA from the "so-called" best authenticator in the business????

cohibasmoker
02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
I like the way this thread has progressed. Ideas and opinions are being exchanged and its free of any personal attacks against other forum members - it's the way it used to be. It's nice to see an "old-timer" getting involved again.

Jim

helmets
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
I just wish I would have saved the photos from the original listing. I just went through my sent messages through ebay and could not find anything. Must of been prior to October.

lon lewis
02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
Maybe I can shed some light on this jersey. I received this jersey ( if it's the same one) 8/7/12 for repairs and restoration of the numbers. When it arrived, the numbers were either missing or were in pieces and falling off. there were numerous holes both big and small all over the place. I repaired the holes as best as possible and replaced the numbers front, back and sleeves. The numbers were based on what was on the jersey originally which is what you see in the ebay photos. I added the patch-it's off of a game used NFL jersey. The indiviual who sent the jersey doesn't appear to be the same one who is selling the jersey based on the shipping address it was returned to. At the time, it wasn't represented as a game jersey but as a "Packers style" and was purportedly only to be used as a display piece. It would be nice to know when the MEARS letter was issued since I can't see the date.

cjw
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM
This is unrelated to the topic at hand and I apologize, but Mr. Lewis could I ask you pls to email me? I would like to request your assistance with a project if possible? Thanks in advance. Chris. Chris@pacmedia.ca

BrianK
02-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Lots of interesting twists in this story. A small observation: it looks like there was a rectangular tag in the collar at some point.

Flamechicken
02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Lots of interesting twists in this story. A small observation: it looks like there was a rectangular tag in the collar at some point.

Good catch on the tag. There is a distinct outline where it was. Any ideas what type of tag it could've been?

Mike

cohibasmoker
02-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Maybe I can shed some light on this jersey. I received this jersey ( if it's the same one) 8/7/12 for repairs and restoration of the numbers. When it arrived, the numbers were either missing or were in pieces and falling off. there were numerous holes both big and small all over the place. I repaired the holes as best as possible and replaced the numbers front, back and sleeves. The numbers were based on what was on the jersey originally which is what you see in the ebay photos. I added the patch-it's off of a game used NFL jersey. The indiviual who sent the jersey doesn't appear to be the same one who is selling the jersey based on the shipping address it was returned to. At the time, it wasn't represented as a game jersey but as a "Packers style" and was purportedly only to be used as a display piece. It would be nice to know when the MEARS letter was issued since I can't see the date.

Lon - quick question for you, when you applied the NFL patch, was there an outline that a patch was on there at some time and later removed?

Thanx,

Jim