PDA

View Full Version : Washing a game used jersey

boxman
02-27-2013, 03:41 PM
I have a chance to pick up a nice jersey that was from a nfl auction but the buyer washed the jersey because it was dirty. It is the real deal but now is it worth less because it is clean. Don't know what to do on this one.

slab0meat
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
All depends who you ask. Some love the dirt, some don't. Your preference (or if you care at all) is what matters.

ousooner_85
02-27-2013, 04:07 PM
I think you have to look at it from two different presepectives:

Buy It if:
You just want to have a legit jersey of the particular player and the fact that it was washed doesn't matter because you are buying at a good price.

Don't Buy it if:
Being able to photomatch the jersey is important and seeing obvious signs of game use is a high priority.

I personally don't like to purchase things that have been altered from a previous buyer. Assuming that the use was once docemented (ie thru NFL Auctions as showing good wear).

It's really just personal preference I guess and knowing what you are buying is legit.

genius
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
I just picked up my very first modern NFL gamer, here are my thoughts for what it's worth!

1) I used to stay away from modern jerseys because the replicas were so similar. Now, the actual jerseys are so much different from replicas that it's almost like the old days, there's nothing out there retail even close to what they wear with maybe the exception of quarterbacks.

2) The jersey smells, I'm not sure if that will ever go away.

3) It puts to rest any possibility of someone who sees legitimate playing time having a team-issued or game-issued jersey passed on to the hobby as a "gamer." These things get so beat up that it would be impossible in my opinion to claim "light use". You can see why they wear a different jersey every game, they are only made to last one game or maybe two at most.

So, bottom line for me is if it's a legit gamer even if it's been washed the value is still there. I might have even appreciated my jersey being washed before being shipped to me, though I'm not going to alter it now that I have it.

I'm not sure though that I will be buying many more of these!

scottishcowboy41
02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
I bought a 2009 Cowboys vs Packers Terence Newman game used jersey from Steiner a few years ago. It was my first game used jersey. Having been worn on grass and Newman recording 8 tackles, the jersey was filthy and stunk of sweat and damp when it arrived and I opened the box. So as a true rookie of game used collecting, what did I do of course.... I WASHED IT!!

Fast forward about 4 years, this act of insanity is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I have learnt so much about game used gear since then and it pains me to think that it could have been so stupid. The jersey really was one of those rare "shirt off someone's back" finds that we all crave. Oh if I could only turn back the clock on that. He is one of my favorite players too and I had the jersey exactly as it was when Newman took it off and I washed it!! The thought of opening that box now, knowing what I know now would be amazing!!

Do I still have the jersey? Hell no! When I figured out this whole game used deal I couldn't bare to look at it so sold it asap! I have other game used jerseys have been laundered prior to me owning them. I am fine with this as they were laundered by the team. (Cowboys game jerseys laundered by the team have a particular smell to them).

Not sure how I would feel about a jersey I knew left the teams hands dirty and then a collector took it upon themselves to launder it. That would affect the buzz of owning it to a degree, for me personally. But if you can photomatch the game wear and damage on the jersey and it's a good price then it will still be nice to have, right? It's still game worn.

Lhaso
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a chance to pick up a nice jersey that was from a nfl auction but the buyer washed the jersey because it was dirty. It is the real deal but now is it worth less because it is clean. Don't know what to do on this one.

Is it that 9/11/11 John Abraham jersey on eBay?

Samets
02-28-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm OK with team washed but not with home washed.

I own a pretty beat up and dirty as hell Bears jersey and do wonder what will happen to it in a few years with all of the dirt on it...

Here's just the name plate that shows some of Soldier Fields best dirt:
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/chicagobearsgameused/photos/Kellen-DavisKellen-Davis-Jersey-worn-11112012-vs-Texans/DSC00421.JPG

slab0meat
02-28-2013, 10:54 AM
I got an Anthony Spencer 2010 awhile ago, with several repairs, grass stains, maybe a small rip, I forget exactly. And it smelled. Let it hang in a mostly unused room in the house for awhile, didn't get any better... tried a little Febreze, didn't work. Finally just decided to wash it, as I don't have a separate place to put smelly jerseys, and I didn't want it mixed in with the others smelling quite that bad.

After washing, the smell was gone, and all the marks and stains were still there. Was a win-win, though some may disagree.

gkdannecker@yahoo.com
02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Remember dirty jerseys smell for a reason. Bacteria and mold from sweat and dirt turn jerseys. Mold can eat the jersey and can deteriorate the material. I think from a preservation point of view I would clean it. I think that is what museums do. George

G1X
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
I've commented in past threads on this subject but will chime in again. First, each to their own. There is no right or wrong, it's simply a matter of personal preference. If you like all of the dirt, grime, and sweat, good for you. On the other hand, if a smelly jersey is more than you (or your spouse, family, pets, etc.) can stand or is simply not appealing to you, then wash it. Based on my experiences as both a dealer and a collector, I can attest that some collectors might not want the jersey if you washed it, but there are other collectors who will gladly buy it.

My preference is to wash any jersey that is intended for my personal collection simply because I prefer not to smell a foul jersey or hang a dirty jersey in my sports room. More important, I have a bit of a germ phobia and the thought of MRSA and other bacteria lingering on the jersey is a bit frightening. However, I do not wash any jersey that I obtain strictly for the purpose to sell. Those are carefully stored (while wearing gloves, I might add) and placed in an area far from my nose.

I have won "Shirt-Off-My-Back" contests three times in the past 7 years (two Nationals and one Minor League), and I cannot begin to tell you how unpleasant it can be having a still wet, sweaty, stinking, dirty jersey handed to you. I went straight home each time and washed the jersey (and my hands, of course). By the way, for those who might be curious, when I won this past season, the MLB Authenticator was waiting for me as I walked off the field to put the holgram on the jersey. And if you are wondering how I've won three times, just plain blind luck. (I also was selected at a Minor League game many years ago to go on the field and scoop up as many $1 bills as I could in 90 seconds using only one hand. I scooped up over $700.)

I collect mostly older jerseys (20th century) and they were all washed by the team before leaving the locker room, so the current trend of unwashed jerseys bears no special interest to me or others with similar collecting tastes. For those who collect older stuff, unwashed jerseys are never an issue unless you were the lucky kid (not me) who Mean Joe Greene tossed his jersey to in exchange for a Coke :)

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Roady
02-28-2013, 03:14 PM
If you wash a jersey is there a detergent that is best?
I would assume a dye free and scent free detergent would be the best.

slab0meat
02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Any jersey I've ever washed was with Woolite.

Roady
02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Any jersey I've ever washed was with Woolite.
Good idea

sox83cubs84
02-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I've used Wisk...no bleach or color-safe bleach...warm (not HOT) wash cycle and air dry cycle to avoid shrinkage.

Dave Miedema

Roady
02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
I have never washed one. So if I ever do this has been very helpful. Thanks

gkdannecker@yahoo.com
02-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I use baby detergent since it has the strictest and probably least harmful chemicals. However I agree I have woo lite works well.

G1X
02-28-2013, 06:19 PM
I have washed many jerseys over the years and always in cold water (various detergents). I have never put them in the dryer. I have always let them hang-dry on either a wooden hanger or a wide hanger in a lighted room.

Durene football jerseys do fine in the washing machine. I have always let a professional clean wool baseball jerseys as I never felt comfortable putting them in the washing machine based on my experience many years ago of ruining my favorite wool sweater.

I am not endorsing any of these methods other than to say that it has always worked for me without ever damaging a jersey.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Clemson2004
02-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I would never wash my jerseys. The only way I would is if something were to get on one by accident, but then I would spot clean it. I actually received a 1989 Clemson jersey today and the guy had washed it, you could smell the spring air when I opened the box. Was kind of disappointed.

scottishcowboy41
03-01-2013, 04:13 AM
I never really thought about the longterm effect of dirt, sweat and bacteria on the jersey fabric. That is a very good point if the game used jersey is a item you plan to keep forever.

It's funny how the thought of opening a parcel with a smelly dirty jersey inside (worn for sport use by, what in reality is a complete stranger) seems so appealing! Yet opening a school backpack containing my son's athletic gear, that has sat in a closet for the entire school vacation is enough to turn your stomach, lol! I guess that's why family and friends think we're strange, lol!

cohibasmoker
03-01-2013, 07:34 AM
Through the years, I have had the opportunity to talk to trainers, equipment guys and persons responsible for laundering professional jerseys. Back in the day, whether it was football or baseball, it was a matter of pride to take a worn and/or dirty jersey and return it to like new condition. So for me, getting a vintage jersey that does not show a lot of wear means little to me and yes, I do wash any jersey that comes into my home.

With the modern day players, has anyone ever given it any thought as to why the equipment guys wear rubber gloves when handling game worn jerseys and/or equipment? To add to that, how about a sweaty, dirty jersey shipped or stored in a plastic bag? I can't imagine the bacteria that would grow and thrive inside a plastic bag.
Jim

Roady
03-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I had always liked the dirt and other stuffs on game used jerseys until I read this thread. I never liked the smell of some them though.
You guys make some very good arguments for washing them.

paul457
03-01-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't know... maybe it's me but I'm sensing a little paranoia with regards to the long term effects of dirt / sweat / grass stains on fabric. Can anyone provide proof that leaving a GU jersey in-tact, with all staining etc, will ruin a jersey? Or is this just a theory? Bacteria and the like general flourish with moisture and exposure to various catalysts - if your jersey is dry and hanging in a controlled environment (I put mine in shadowboxes), I would assume the chance of further growth is minimal / deterioration. Just a thought.

Someone asked why equipment managers wear gloves when handling fresh GU equipment? It's because the players general spit, sweat, blow snots, and bleed all over the place during games, so it's a precautionary measure for the staff against getting sick, or having a disease transmitted.

I own a couple of GU jerseys, one is covered in stains and is beaten up, while it hangs next to one that was washed. In all honesty, the washed jersey just doesn't hold a candle to the beaten, stained jersey. Just my opinion.

slab0meat
03-01-2013, 01:58 PM
To add on, I too, have NEVER put a jersey in the dryer.

I have always washed with Woolite, cold water only, hang dry.

Spencer has been the only GU jersey I've washed, though... almost only retail authentics have been done.

gkdannecker@yahoo.com
03-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I can send photos of the black mold that ate my tent.

Roady
03-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I can send photos of the black mold that ate my tent.
Tents are usually put up wet. And since they are not usually allowed to dry out later I can see mold being a problem with them.

Clemson2004
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
As a former Boy Scout who worked his way up to Eagle, I can say that you never put a tent up wet unless you have to, but then when you get home you hang it out to dry to keep it from molding and to make sure it is clean before putting back into storage. A jersey hanging up in someone's house in a temp controlled environment will not mold if it stays dry and the humidity doesn't stay too high in the house. If there ever is mold on a jersey, then I would probably just wash that area by hand. I have never seen a jersey with mold on it, but then again I have not seen every jersey. As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it, and I would have to ask my friend who is a physician, but I think when blood dries over time you do not have to worry about contracting anything, but I could be wrong.

Roady
03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I was never a boy scout and I have put up many tents wet. Mostly because it was raining at the time or because of the morning dew.
I usually unrolled them and allowed them to dry later at home, but not always. :o

Roady
03-01-2013, 03:55 PM
"As for bacteria, I would probably just spray it lightly with one of those germ killing aerosol sprays if I was really worried about it,..."

Good idea! Such a simple yet ingenious solution.

flaco1801
03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
threads like this are why the elder collectors no longer participate on this forum....anybody can take a game used clean jersey and grime it up if you want to pay more for it...anybody who puts a filthy jersey in their closet is not a collector he is a ....... Fill in the blank...

Roady
03-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I have noticed one thing about his forum.
Some here are so intolerant of anyone else or their ideas that communist China must look like a utopia to their feeble little minds.

jppopma
03-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Roady, there are often very differing opinions on here. Washing or God forbid wearing a jersey will bring out the gloves with some people. To each their own.

Personally, I think the money that I'd love in washing a jersey would be much less that the hospital bills from the nasties you might get or the lawyer bills for a divorce. Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.

both-teams-played-hard
03-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.
Preserving another dude's grime isn't just a little on the odd side...it is very much like a stalker:eek:

both-teams-played-hard
03-01-2013, 11:21 PM
...anybody who puts a filthy jersey in their closet is not a collector he is a ....... Fill in the blank...
See my above post...

Falcon
03-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Just to add my two cents, a funny story. (And by no means am I implying that anyone who has anything to do with this thread is the person who emailed me.)

As many of you know, I'm the original owner of the 9/11 John Abraham jersey which I purchased from NFL Auctions. There is an earlier thread in here that discusses the fact that I could not stand the smell of it, never thought it would leave my collection, so I washed it. A few months later, another jersey I wanted became available and I was forced to sell the Abraham jersey to be able to make this new purchase. I wish for the life of me I could remember who I sold it to, but one thing I know for sure. The buyer was made aware that I had laundered the jersey at home, hence the discounted price I gave him.

Fast forward to this year's Hunt Super Bowl Auction. The same jersey came up for auction and sold for roughly $500. I have no idea if the person who consigned it to Hunt was the same buyer I sold it too or if it had exchanged hands prior to the Hunt sale.

About a month or so after the auction had closed I got a very angry email from the buyer, who apparently purchased it for $500 or so, then tried to sell it on ebay for as high as $1,200.

Here is the email in it's entirety, word for word, minus the cursing:

"Hey im the one who bought the abraham 9/11 jersey on hunt and come to find out it was washed? Are you f&*%ing kidding me ? Who does some s%*t like that after they pay close to1k for a jersey what a joke and sad day for the hobby!!! Unreal dude, this is total bulls%*t!!! I contacted hunt and sent them your GUU post so they know that the item they sold was misrepresented to them and should of said washed in there listing but it wasnt!!! Total false bs!! Thats okay cuz i will get my money back for false advertisement nice job by the way!!! Take a beautiful jersey and destroy it like that cuz of the smell. Hope you like it coming back into your collection, be well!!!"

So here is the email I sent back to him, again minus the cursing:

"Look dude....I'm not the one who sold it on hunt. Check your facts. Whoever consigned it on hunt prob had gotten it from me but he's the one who misrepresented it, not me. The guy I sold it to knew exactly what it was...a washed Abe jersey hence the price.
Why the f&*k would I go on a public forum like GUU and talk about washing it then try and pass it off on a national auction as unwashed??? Are u seriously that stupid?
Washed or unwashed, that's a matter of preference anyway...not my problem u are into men's sweaty laundry."

His email back to me:

"The whole point of the game used hobby is use u clown! and u wash it away? are u that fuc&*%ng stupid! why do u collect it to ruin it by washing it? why bother? yeah i do collect sweaty mens laundry cuz it displays the game which is what most want minus the dbags who wear the jerseys or wash them. i dont let anyone dictate to me if im allowed to display or take a smelly jersey out of a bag! i have a set of balls and a spine! thanks! thanks for ruining the hobby. guys like u make me sick. go collect jersey cards! spend top dollar to wash away evidence and photo matches! lmfao! hahaha. what a joke"

And my final email back to him:

"Look man don't be mad at me cause u thought u could take a jersey that wouldn't even sell for 500 on Hunt and flip it on eBay for 1200???!!!
I'm not even the guy u should be mad at. Call Hunt, find out the consigner and go from there. Geez, for a guy with "ballz and spine" this shouldn't be so hard.
And I'm not the one who was tryin to tell u how to keep your jerseys. U where the one giving me s*%t for washing it. Just as u say, I don't let anyone dictate to me how or what I do with my jerseys. My 4,000-6,000 jerseys I don't wash. Not my fault u thought u could make a quick 700 and it didn't turn out that way..."

Why am I sharing this? Well when I got the emails it first pissed me off but later made me laugh. Was just waiting for this subject to come up here so I could share this story...

Roady
03-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Falcon,
Thanks for sharing. It's good that you can look back on it now an laugh about it. I bet the other guy is still mad. Ruining his life over such a trivial thing.
Some people get really bent out of shape about little things. They don't realize just how short life really is. It's sad.

Roady
03-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Roady, there are often very differing opinions on here. Washing or God forbid wearing a jersey will bring out the gloves with some people. To each their own.

Personally, I think the money that I'd love in washing a jersey would be much less that the hospital bills from the nasties you might get or the lawyer bills for a divorce. Plus I find smelling someone else's body sweat and fluids to be just a little on the odd side...but that's just me.
I can handle and expect people to disagree.
What I have noticed in the last few years is some of those who simply disagree are quick to hurl insults and call names. I don't know if the internet provides them with the protection they need to show their true colors without fear of a bloody nose, or if they are just mean people all the time.
I don't care what someone does with their property. It's none of my business. Why does anyone care?
Do your thing and let the other guy do his.

Clemson2004
03-02-2013, 05:49 AM
I know this is a very sensitive subject, but to each their own. If it really comes down to photo matching, then fully document what you have in detail with all of the marks, imperfections, tears, and then wash it accordingly. I am not speaking for everyone here, but I collect for life (unless something life changing happens). So if you were to sell, you would have documentation. I can see where someone could have doubts, but for most game used jerseys, you have imperfections, alignment issues, etc, to help you photo match. I myself like the game used look. It just seems that it is up to you with what you like, even though you may have opposite opinions with your fellow board members.

cohibasmoker
03-02-2013, 07:28 AM
I don't know... maybe it's me but I'm sensing a little paranoia with regards to the long term effects of dirt / sweat / grass stains on fabric. Can anyone provide proof that leaving a GU jersey in-tact, with all staining etc, will ruin a jersey? Or is this just a theory? Bacteria and the like general flourish with moisture and exposure to various catalysts - if your jersey is dry and hanging in a controlled environment (I put mine in shadowboxes), I would assume the chance of further growth is minimal / deterioration. Just a thought.

Someone asked why equipment managers wear gloves when handling fresh GU equipment? It's because the players general spit, sweat, blow snots, and bleed all over the place during games, so it's a precautionary measure for the staff against getting sick, or having a disease transmitted.

I own a couple of GU jerseys, one is covered in stains and is beaten up, while it hangs next to one that was washed. In all honesty, the washed jersey just doesn't hold a candle to the beaten, stained jersey. Just my opinion.

Your 2nd thought is perfect.

The question is, where does all those bodily fluids go? Perhaps a nice warm moist plastic bag and/or frame may not be the place to go but hey, its your money - spend it the way you want.

Jim

otismalibu
03-02-2013, 09:23 AM
The whole point of the game used hobby is use u clown! and u wash it away?

Don't equipment mgrs 'wash away the use' after each game?

Roady
03-02-2013, 10:32 AM
If you have a jersey that has a stain and you have it photomatched I would not want to wash it.

Anyone could always fabreeze them I guess and see it that helps with any smells. I have some game used jerseys that have not been washed that don't smell at all. I have some that do, not overly ripe, but it is there if you put your nose close enough.
I have hundreds of game used jerseys in a closet and you can open the door and will not notice any smells. Now my closet is cedar lines so I am sure that helps. And they are all in individual garment bags as well.

Now if anyone knows how to make batting gloves stop stinking I am all ears.

jppopma
03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
This seems to be the big problem with the whole "CSI" photomatching phenomena . Does washing a game worn jersey make it any less game worn? Does it really matter in photomatching if there is one or two marks on a jersey or ten to twelve marks?

Some of the really torn up jerseys look cool, but are these collectors the ones that want to have just one or two jerseys to frame and show off or a full collection of jerseys?

Call me old school, but I can usually find enough identifiers on a jersey to feel comfortable without needing 15 photomatches.

boxman
03-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks Falcon for sharing that story.

Falcon
03-02-2013, 02:21 PM
A friend and forum member taught me a great way to get rid of odor on a jersey. Basically, slipped it in an old t shirt to keep it somewhat covered then set it in a plastic bin with cat liter underneath and on top of the shirt. Let it sit in there for a week and when I took it out I simply slid it out from the t shirt and gave it a quick shake outside to get the liter dust off and now it is basically odor free! Still retained every single mark of game use it came with.

Roady
03-02-2013, 03:01 PM
My collection mostly consist of 70's and 80's jerseys so photomatching is much harder to do anyway.
Still, I have a couple that are photomatched because of the wear or stains. I personally want to keep them the way they are.
It is all a personal choice so I could care less what others do with their property.
I am not a my way or the highway type.
I have a hard time figueing out why it is anyone else's business what someone does with their property.

"You must a blankety blank blank if you do it this way or that way"
That person sounds like a mental patient and I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.

paul457
03-02-2013, 05:08 PM
It is all a personal choice so I could care less what others do with their property. I have a hard time figueing out why it is anyone else's business what someone does with their property.

Exactly.

But back to my earlier post - if there is hard evidence that leaving a jersey unwashed will result in deterioration / degredation of the materials, it's something that all collectors here should know. I like my jerseys dirty because they look cool, and because you can't put back the dirt and paint if you wash it off... but if that dirt / slime is going to lead to a rotting jersey well then, I'd rather throw it in the wash.

I own team issued jerseys, and game worn jerseys (both washed and unwashed), so I enjoy the entire spectrum of use, from none to heavily beaten. However, for me, there's nothing like seeing a beaten up, trashed, stained jersey - just a very cool artifact to admire.

Jessica4Bama
03-02-2013, 08:32 PM
My first and only game used jersey was at the Braves jerseys off our backs auction. They took them off right as they left the field. It was all nice and sweaty when I got it. Haha. They autographed it then authenticated it. Awesome experience.

Jessica4Bama
03-02-2013, 08:33 PM
So obviously I didn't wash it. Has nice tar stains, etc. on it.

boxman
03-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Hey Falcon. I tried to send you a message but not sure it made it to you. This is my first try to send a message to another user.

Falcon
03-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Falcon is Your eBay Handle Yoda2515?

No it is not.

Falcon
03-03-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey Falcon. I tried to send you a message but not sure it made it to you. This is my first try to send a message to another user.

Sorry I didn't get any message. You can email me at Kyle@excessivecelebrations.com instead.

gkdannecker@yahoo.com
03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
I can only tell you I've never gone to a museum or HOF location that had grimy jerseys? If someone has then I guess case closed. I have yet to see a 80s or 90s jersey with grime, but I have seen the Nfl sell them with grime. I think it is a fad. Stains and grime attract moths and mold. I'm sure a number of us have shirts with holes in them. I couldn't imagine my holy grail with an artificial hole or unmovable black mold stain. Think of your jersey 20 or 30 years from now. Unless you remove the air and all the bacteria with it then you probably get mold etc. that is my view. I enjoy the discussion though and always open to others opinions. That is what makes the forum fun. George

Roady
03-03-2013, 11:15 PM
One point about museum pieces is that they usually have impeccable authenticity that most would not question.
Most of my jersey's don't have that.
Many collectors use the stains as a reference for game used. Even though they realize that it can be faked.

both-teams-played-hard
03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
Seriously Bud ????

Lawrence are You 4 Real when You say anybody can take a clean game used jersey grime it up with grass staines, blood, paint transfers & turn it into a multiple photo matched work of art like my attached 2011 Brian Urlacher?

If having this Jersey in my closet means I'm not a collector and a.......... I'll take that everyday of the week Chauncey !!!!!!

Thats All I Have Time 4 Since I Have 2 Go Wash this Jersey Now LMFAO !!!!!

Horatio,

Nice jersey. But does it smell? Because if it smells, then it is a piece-of-shit Sherlock.

Frebrezze will get rid of the smell, Salinger.

I think this thread is about stink, not stains, Stanley.

both-teams-played-hard
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
One point about museum pieces is that they usually have impeccable authenticity that most would not question.
Most of my jersey's don't have that.
Many collectors use the stains as a reference for game used. Even though they realize that it can be faked.
Not quite. There are many examples of Halls-of-fames having mis-identified junk.

Roady
03-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Not quite. There are many examples of Halls-of-fames having mis-identified junk.
While that is true, I don't usually go into a museum and question everything on display. We choose to believe the museum displays are the real deal. It would be no fun and pointless to go therwise.
I wouldn't waste my time going to Cooperstown if I wasn't prepared to believe what I was seeing was real.
The website Halls of Shame is a favorite of mine so I understand what you are saying.
My original answer was in response to the suggestion that jerseys in museums are always washed. I don't think too many people would question what they are seeing in a museum like they would the jerseys in my closet.

jbean023
03-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Great Thread!! I have been reading long enough and had to throw in my two cents. I respect everyones opinion and here goes mine. I agree with a few of the new guys saying that the veterans of the bunch think they have an opinion of God and thats not the case. I will give my opinion and listen to anyones responses. I would never wash a game used jersey personally, I do have a couple game issued Cubs jerseys that I wear and only bought them because they were cheaper than buying an authentic at a retail store but were never used. Whatever state I get the jersey in is what it stays. I collect also because I have a passion for the games mainly football and baseball, I played the game and know the feeling of giving 100%, so when i get something with the blood,sweat, and tears of 100% I think that is more meaningful and why wash it away. The passion and heart from the game is shown with hit marks, stains, cuts. Not team repairs or a wash tag that shows heart and passion of the equipment manager. Ill try to make this as entertaining as possible.

So we have a few different reasonings for washing jerseys first Ill start with the "germophobs/bacteria buffs" of the bunch. Im mind boggled by the generation of folks here, just think 20 yrs ago did you use hand sanitizer after everything. I mean come on are you serious were grown men and some young men. I remember reading a couple post about those who like to handle dirty mens laundry,germ comment, etc. Ill go a couple different routes, do you have kids/siblings anyone younger than you? Have you changed any diapers? Washed your kids clothes? Have you ever played a sport or did anything with passion besides type on a computer or read? Have you ever tackled a running back, rub bodies playing basketball, made a diving play in baseball, heaven for bid if we have any wrestlers here? Its sweat!! Some grown man isnt urinating or dropping feces all over you, lets grow up. Ill have more on this topic later!

Do you collect anything else? Game used pants? Ive seen alot of unwashed baseball pants that equals a bunch of ball sweat!! I personally dont collect pants but if I get a full uniform then so be it. Well my as well get to the urination part, do any of you own a Moises Alou bat? Chances are there is traces of urine germs on the handle. Moises and many other big league hitters admit to urinating of their hands to strenthen the skin. Do you collect anything else? What about cleats/spikes? Do you wash and dry those? Do you scrub the dirt off the bottom? If you dont why not? Do you like sweaty man feet? When you pick up shoes where do you grab them? O yeah by part where the ankle sweats and if you have long enough thumbs you are touching the sole, thats gross!! What about receiver/batting gloves? Do you know how much spit/dirt is left inside and outside of those? Better wash them!!! Right before Derek Jeter put his hands in those nice Jumpman batting gloves you have maybe his balls itched or before pre game he dropped a major duece and didnt wash his hands. What about baseball bats? How many germs are on the handles or leftover in pine tar, better wash those and the ballmarks off the bat since ball to bat could leave a germ/bacteria trace? What about game used footballs and baseballs? They touch the ground, everyones hands from the maker in wherever, to the refs/umpires, players, ball guys, the guy that catches extra points/ball boys, the authenticators, o and then you. Better wash those game balls with germ wipes!! What about football helmets, imagine the dirt and bacteria in the crevices of the helmet pads. A full season of sweat!! EEEWWW!! Enough with the germs, I read on another thread of giving the most sensitive of the year award to a new member, cant remeber his name but I give the sensative award to all the EEEWWWYY collectors and maybe next year we can give them the Comeback Grown Up Collector Of The Year Award!!!

Another reason to wash is mold/mildew!! Can someone please post the consumer studies on mold/mildew growing on a game used jersey that is displayed in the open, in a frame, in someones display room/man cave? Mold/mildew grow in damp or high moisture areas with a warm climate present. You can wash your jersey right now with a whole jug of tide and place in a baggie,into a warm area, without drying, and watch the mold grow!!! I would love to see a picture of the oldest jersey here that someone has unwashed and displayed, should looked like it would washed but with stains. Once the jersey airs out and is dry everything is good. Yeah if you go to the jersey off our backs game and place the jersey in a baggie right after receiving its going to get pretty bad. I have 08 Cowboys unwashed jerseys that sat in Steiners warehouse for 2 years, they look exactly like a washed one would from 08 except with the stains, hit marks, etc.

Last but not least the odor eaters, here is what I believe to be the closest reason to washing. There is so many alternative ways to getting rid of odor though. Place the jersey in a baggie with 2 dryer sheets under each arm for a couple days then remove or the little freshners you can put in your shoes. Wash 2 t shirts and place over a jersey and inside the jersey, store in a baggie for a week or so. Im not a fan of spraying things on jerseys so I dont use any kind of sprays. Most jerseys after airing out for a week in a spare bedroom or the laundry room the smell goes away unless you are putting nose on jersey. I have one of the most fowl smelling jerseys and once aired out it was bearable but I put in a baggie with the dryer sheets under the arms and now the jersey has no fowl smell unless you are burying your nose in the jersey.

Thats all I have for now I just wanted to toss in an opinion from the other side of the fence!

Be Well!

Samets
03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
WoW... Tell us how you really feel ;) :cool: :cool: :cool:

jbean023
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
SAMETS!!! LOL! Right on, well everyone has their opinion and if Im goin to share mine Im going to be honest. The new generation is just killing me and if this is some of the wiley veterans posting than Im just down right disappointed. Im 28 and been overseas in germ heaven. Ive seen soldiers burn feces in 5 gallon buckets or burn pits. Not showered for a week with only baby wipes to clean yourself, sleep while you are gushing sweat so this pidy padily stuff is just to much haha. Its like a little sweat and dirt is going to give you an life threatening virus.

flaco1801
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Jerseys with grass, blood and whatever has been attached to it will still have those stains AFTER washing....Dont wash them, dont wear them and prove to me the last person wearing the shirt was the player....

Jags Fan Dan
03-04-2013, 03:52 PM
To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion. But there are probably extreme cases that might make me reconsider.

nevrdiez34
03-04-2013, 04:10 PM
To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion.

+1

sox83cubs84
03-04-2013, 07:53 PM

Warren & Roady:

I can think of two in the same museum I saw during a visit long ago (Ohio Baseball Hall of Fame):

They had a 1962 Clem Labine Mets flannel that was attributed, without sufficient evidence, to Tom Seaver, and also had a 1975 Brewers home "game worn" Hank Aaron jersey that was a McAuliffe retail shirt.

I also saw a "game worn" Hank Aaron jersey in a display at old County Stadium in Milwaukee that was, at least, worn...but by a young Gorman Thomas, not an aging Aaron (tail tags were visible until I wrote about this in SCD...then the team tucked the front tail underneath the jersey to obscure the "74" year notation).

Also: The White Sox have had a road Dick Allen jersey that was on display, but was actually a forgery that I actually once owned over 35 years ago, when I was just getting started in this myself. The party I sold it to wanted to keep the jersey and accept a partial refund, and it bounced around for over 15 years before it ended up in the inventory of a major jersey dealer who displayed at the old Rich Hawksley St. Louis shows. I informed the dealer, who wasn't convinced, and that was the last place it was seen before the White Sox ended up with it.

Based on the above, museum/team displays, while generally accurate, can occasionally contain something that isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Dave Miedema

G1X
03-04-2013, 10:47 PM
jbean,

Regarding your two posts (#68 and #70), since I confessed to being a germ-a-phobe, you appear to be referring to me. That's fine, but I wanted to set you straight on a couple of your assumptions. You asked the question if I ever played a sport or did anything with passion besides type on a computer or read. Not that anyone probably cares, but since you asked, I know dirt and sweat and grass stains all too well as I've played sports since I was old enough to remember. When I was your age (more than half a lifetime ago, before you were even born to be more precise), I was playing semi-pro football on a highly competitive level in a league based in the Southeast. I was a wide receiver and occasionally played safety, and I got mighty sweaty and dirty each and every game as it gets hot and humid in the South (not to mention how rank a sweaty uniform can get sitting in an equipment bag on a 6-hour bus trip from New Orleans to Birmingham). I played in flag football leagues up until my mid-40s and got plenty sweaty and dirty each week. I still play baseball twice a week and usually end up fairly dirty as I will dive for balls in the outfield and slide into bases despite being over twice your age.

And yes, I confess that I read a lot. One of the things I've learned from extensive reading is that MRSA is a dangerous bacteria that lurks in sports locker rooms. Teams take great precautions to keep it and other pathogens in check as it can be very devastating and even deadly, and it is no joke to anyone who has been infected or has a medical background. The odds might be slim of getting infected, but I don't care to take that gamble as skin issues on my hands make me a bit more vulnerable than the average person. Besides, I just don't enjoy smelling other men's sweat and having a dirty uniform hanging in my room. But that's just my personal collecting perferences, and as I stated in a previous post, there is no "right" or "wrong" on this subject. For those collectors who prefer to have dirty laundry of their favorite players, that is their business and it does not directly affect me or the items I collect.

None of the above, nor the fact that I have been collecting game-used a lot longer than you have been alive, makes me or my opinions or my collecting preferences any better or any worse than you, your opinions, or your collecting preferences, or anyone elses opinions and preferences in this Forum. I was simply stating my preferences in previous posts as I found this to be a fun and somewhat mindless thread.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

jbean023
03-04-2013, 11:38 PM
G1X,

I was not referring to anyone directly in my posts, these are the big three areas that get attention everytime this topic is discussed. I was covering all 3 and since this was not directed at anyone you won't set me straight on any topic. Ive been informed of MRSA being in the military. I have a fellow athlete from a nearby town that lost his legs from meningitis, cause is unknown but word is sharing water bottles could of been the cause. You know what else is dangerous, driving a car, eating fast foods, being outside, just about anything minus sitting on the floor with a respirator and oxygen tank on your back. I could go on and on about this but I've stated my thoughts on the topic and if you want to continue my email is at the bottom.

slab0meat
03-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Lawrence Your Vast Knowledge in the Area of Laundry Not 2 Mention GU is Awe Inspiring & I For One Would Like 2 Say Thanks 4 Sharing. So Whats Next on the Agenda Tips on Pre-Soaking & Spin Cycles ???

I Would Suggest Sticking With Your Obvious Passion 4 Doing Laundry as You May Have Found Your True Calling in Life.

I'm Guessing Your True Calling In Life Didn't Involve Learning Capitalization?

Falcon
03-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Great feedback everyone...hope my email buddy is reading this.

paul457
03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Not sure why this thread got so far off track, but can we keep this discussion somewhat civilized so that we can all learn from it? Getting all bent out of shape because someone has an opinion that's different than yours really doesn't contribute to the forums at all.

Remember dirty jerseys smell for a reason. Bacteria and mold from sweat and dirt turn jerseys. Mold can eat the jersey and can deteriorate the material. I think from a preservation point of view I would clean it. I think that is what museums do. George

So back on topic - does anyone have documented cases proving out this theory?

jppopma
03-05-2013, 08:23 PM
As to jbean's reference to being dirty, changing diapers, and so on....yes, I throw diapers out and clean "wear" of all of my clothing too. Not let them hang around the house smelling the place up. So I guess living among smelly jerseys is just my personal choice. I have been to many calls on the job to houses where people do not agree with my philosophy on cleaning.

Back to the original bases, I don't think that jerseys lose any real value by being washed, they just return to normal prices compared to those who are paying way above normal market value for a jersey that smells.

To those who want to turn it all into a debate, just be happy that everyone has their own thoughts and there is that much less competition for those jerseys!

jbean023
03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Jpopmomma if you're going to call someone out why don't you discuss the whole thread. You say you go on calls, I'm guessing you most likely have a tool box? Do you wash those daily with germ wipes or do you buy new everyday. Imagine the bacteria in your tool box.Do you collect any of the other items i stated, did you wash all those? Why don't you read the whole thread next time and see that i said tons of ways to rid of any smells dont have to display with the odor.

jbean023
03-05-2013, 08:40 PM
JPOP it doesn't matter your belief on if the value decreases on washed jerseys from a home washer, it's proven that the value decreases. Even the collector that washed the 9/11 jersey this thread was started out admits he knew the value would decrease and sold accordingly.

genius
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
This thread stinks.

jbean023
03-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Lol!!

Falcon
03-05-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm Not Sure Why Your So Smug You As You Haven't Proved Anything Outside Of The Fact That You Are Extremely Foolish.

For The Collectors Who Collect These Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear You Decreased The Value Of That 911 Jersey 50%. Sorry But In My Book Thats Not Funny Its Hubris.

The ONLY Reason I Can See Anyone Washing A Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear Regardless Of What You Or Some Of The Other Sheepeople On Here Might Say Is Because You Will Be Walking Around Wearing It Yourself.

Anyone Who Would Wash An "A" Tier Players Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear Or Advise Someone To Do Likewise Has No Common Sense Period.

Are u serious? Wasn't trying to prove anything other than the fact that people all have different opinions on this issue, which as I've said is fine. I was simply stating that I hope that he was reading this thread so he could see that there is a way to state your opinion as opposed to the emails he sent me. And if I'm foolish for not wanting a smelly jersey displayed in my house with my 4 ad 8 year old sons than I hope you're not a dad. And for the record, I do own 3 higher end jerseys that I won't wash to retain their value but I keep them in sealed plastic bags far away from my kids.

Please don't concern yourself with what I do with my hard earned money and my purchases.

G1X
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Come on, guys, could we please avoid resorting to name calling? It's great to have a lively debate and differences of opinions, but this thread is deteriorating rapidly. When you post, act like the person you are responding to is sitting across the table from you, and your wife and kids, and maybe even you mom is there with you.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net (gixc@verizon.net)

ChrisCavalier
03-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Come on, guys, could we please avoid resorting to name calling? It's great to have a lively debate and differences of opinions, but this thread is deteriorating rapidly. When you post, act like the person you are responding to is sitting across the table from you, and your wife and kids, and maybe even you mom is there with you.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
I will echo Mark's comments here. I went back and edited a few of the posts and will happy to edit any others if anyone thinks it necessary.

In addition, please note that posting on the forums requires the observance of the forum rules including:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

The complete list of forum rules can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

Sincerely,
Chris

slab0meat
03-06-2013, 09:42 AM
JPOP it doesn't matter your belief on if the value decreases on washed jerseys from a home washer, it's proven that the value decreases. Even the collector that washed the 9/11 jersey this thread was started out admits he knew the value would decrease and sold accordingly.

On the other hand, if a buyer is someone who *doesn't* want smelly jerseys hanging around, the value doesn't decrease at all. As with many things, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

nevrdiez34
03-06-2013, 10:17 AM
On the other hand, if a buyer is someone who *doesn't* want smelly jerseys hanging around, the value doesn't decrease at all. As with many things, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Perhaps, but at least if you didn't wash the jersey the consumer has that option. Once it's washed it really only appeals to the person that would wash it anyways, you're cutting your target market in half. I agree with many others on this topic in that there are many other options (and just as effective) to removing the smell that washing it away.

G1X
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM

It all depends on who is interested. In my experiences from the selling side of the fence is that some collectors will buy regardless of whether the jersey was washed as it just does not matter to them. On the other hand, many others wouldn't buy it for any amount of money once it has been cleaned. Being able to obtain unwashed jerseys is a recent development, so while it is appealing to a lot of collectors and perhaps even a requirement for some (I certainly understand the appeal), it is simply not that big of a factor one way or the other for some collectors.

It is all about personal tastes and preferences, and there are many various tastes in this hobby. On a similar note to the "washed" vs "unwashed" debate, one of the biggest surprises I learned when I became more involved as a dealer is that some collectors prefer unused team-issued jerseys or gamers with minimal use. I also discovered that some customers who usually insist on jerseys that show game wear will purchase a mint jersey if it is a particular player, team, style, etc. that they collect, as they would rather have a mint jersey than nothing at all if there are no other options available. There is abolutely nothing wrong with this - I was just surprised to see the interest level as I assumed (wrongly) that jerseys that did not show use would be nearly impossible to sell. When I have made team purchases over the years, I never had enough mint condition jerseys as they always sold well.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

slab0meat
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
I get it.... also remember "washed" does not necessarily mean "cleaned" per se.. as said before, in my case, it got rid of odor, while every stain remained. I examined it very thoroughly.. I'm sure it's not an isolated case.

G1X
03-06-2013, 01:14 PM
I get it.... also remember "washed" does not necessarily mean "cleaned" per se.. as said before, in my case, it got rid of odor, while every stain remained. I examined it very thoroughly.. I'm sure it's not an isolated case.

I should have said washed instead of "cleaned" to clarify.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

jbean023
03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
All I'm saying is the jersey has lost value being cleaned or washed by the collector. I wish all this years Hunt SB auction winners would chime in and say yeah if a collector would of washed the Tom Brady jersey i would of spent 24K on the jersey still or the Gronk,Rodgers,etc. Wheres Mulligans in all this? He has what I have seen to be the highest valued modern era football collection. Would you fork out that kind of money if a collector altered a jersey? Also the 2 bears collectors that have the big name player collections. Any game used item that is altered by a collector loses value!! A jersey that sells for 6K at auction and you personally wash the jersey, the value is no longer 6K and if you're honest with collectors saying you washed the jersey, you will never see 6K again.

esquiresports
03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I'm wondering if the people who strongly prefer/require unwashed jerseys for football feel the same way about baseball, basketball and/or hockey. Almost all the focus has been on football.

I only have baseball jerseys and one racing suit, all of which came clean. Never even thought about it until seeing some of the NFL jerseys. I can see how it's pretty cool to have a game photo of the player wearing your jersey next to the jersey itself, reflecting the same game use. Not sure if this translates well in other sports. It may tie to those jerseys being repeatedly worn and washed in regular use. In baseball, you can get some grass and dirt stains at least, but not sure if this carries the same weight in your eyes.

Mulligans
03-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Too funny.....whenever this topic comes up, I run for the hills.

Its like talking politics.....my view on Football Jerseys and politics are pretty similar as I am pretty opinionated.....I know I'm going to piss off some people if I share my thoughts on a couple of these posts;)

I collect Jerseys because they are dirty and beat up and the thought of washing them or freshening them up has really never even crossed my mind??

slab0meat
03-06-2013, 10:06 PM
All I'm saying is the jersey has lost value being cleaned or washed by the collector. I wish all this years Hunt SB auction winners would chime in and say yeah if a collector would of washed the Tom Brady jersey i would of spent 24K on the jersey still or the Gronk,Rodgers,etc. Wheres Mulligans in all this? He has what I have seen to be the highest valued modern era football collection. Would you fork out that kind of money if a collector altered a jersey? Also the 2 bears collectors that have the big name player collections. Any game used item that is altered by a collector loses value!! A jersey that sells for 6K at auction and you personally wash the jersey, the value is no longer 6K and if you're honest with collectors saying you washed the jersey, you will never see 6K again.

I don't have that kind of money, so I'll never be in that situation. I also collect to keep, not worry about the value at selling time.

And in my personal situation, what did I physically alter about my game used Spencer? Will it lose value for SOLELY an olfactory change?

jbean023
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Esquire yes this does apply to other sports, if you look on ebay for instance and search sold items Miguel Tejada game used you will see a jersey that is beat up pretty good. A clean Tejada wouldnt of brought that kind of money. I have a couple mlb jerseys caked with dirt. Majority of mlb jerseys are taken off right after the game and authenticated without being washed. Hope this helps. And thanks Mulligans finally chimed in i knew you were reading !!

G1X
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
With regards to baseball, I can only speak for the two teams that I generally collect, the Giants and Nationals, and a few other team shops I have visited in the past couple of years. I saw very few unwashed baseball jerseys. Most of the Washington Nationals jerseys I observed at their game-used kiosk on various occasions last season appeared to have been laundered by the team, and every Giants jersey I've purchased on line from their game-used shop over the past three years had been laundered by the team. (According to the holograms, some of the jerseys are stated to be game-worn, others team-issued.) The only Nationals jerseys I observed that were unwashed were jerseys from a specific landmark game such as last year's opener.

This raises an interesting question regarding the chain of custody in the MLB authenticating process. Is the hologram applied when the player removes the jersey, or is it applied after the equipment staff has unloaded the jersey from the washing machine or dryer (to be sure it sticks securely)? If anyone has had any first-hand experiences with the MLB authenticating process, please share.

I am also interested to hear from others about the game-used MLB jerseys sold by their favorite team at the gift shop, fan fest, etc. Are most of them washed or unwashed? What about Steiner's Yankees jerseys - are most washed or unwashed?

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net