PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on new MLB helmets currently in full use?

cruwet
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
I gotta say I was skeptical of seeing these new helmets in MLB becoming mandatory this season purely from a visual and collecting standpoint, because I personally can't stand the cool-flo vented helmets or the ridiculously HUGE s100 helmets that were worn by guys like David Wright coming off injury.

The s100 version this season, and used by some players last season, is really not too much bigger looking than the old school version (which I'll always love and perfer to collect), and it doesn't really feature the crappy "futuristic vented" design of the cool-flo helemts, which thankfully will not be worn by any MLB team this season. There are vents on the new helmet, but they aren't silly looking like the cool flo's

Just speaking purely from a collector's/asthetic perspective (I do realize that safety is the main concern), but I'm glad the new helmets more resemble the old school classic helmets, and glad they didn't continue to go down the road of the cool flo style!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130220&content_id=41824300&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

vdsporty25
02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
I thought I would hate the switch this year but I have been pleasantly surprised as they seemed to have reduced the size and streamlined them enough where you don't notice them as much. I think they look better than the cool-flo models....I think they are pretty cool.

Roady
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Makes the old round style ones without any vents besides the ear holes more desirable from a collectors view.

marino13
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
If you think the old style gamer (2012 or earlier) is pricey, wait until you see the sticker shock on the 2013 model.

It has something to do with higher cost of producing the new helmet along with a very limited number being produce for the year and more blah blah.

Bottom line, "cost an arm and a leg" for a '13 game used helmet is expected.

Roady
02-28-2013, 09:23 PM
Are they still made in China?

R_Aaronson
03-01-2013, 12:07 AM
If you think the old style gamer (2012 or earlier) is pricey, wait until you see the sticker shock on the 2013 model.

It has something to do with higher cost of producing the new helmet along with a very limited number being produce for the year and more blah blah.

Bottom line, "cost an arm and a leg" for a '13 game used helmet is expected.

I got an email from Marc @ Tigers Authentics (email mailing list) echoing these thoughts. Here is an exact quote from the email:

"Some of you may have read that MLB changed to a new type of batting helmet for 2013. This is to provide more safety to hitters. Unfortunately, the cost of the new helmets is about 4 times greater than last year. Due to this significant increase, you will see fewer games used helmets this year. Additionally, the ones I do get will obviously have a higher price point."

So I don't expect to be acquiring any of these any time soon, if at all.

-Randy

Roady
03-01-2013, 12:14 AM
4 times as much? They must have gold headbands inside.

jppopma
03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
4x cost to the teams compared to last year will equal 10x cost to collectors from last year's prices. Should be interesting.

Only good thing is that they may have more wear if other teams are not buying multiple helmets for use throughout the season.

icollectDCsports
03-03-2013, 10:50 AM
So is it the case that the new 2013 helmets are proportionately larger than the prior helmets?

cruwet
03-03-2013, 12:42 PM
They are definately larger looking, but not nearly as bad as I thought they would be. Not on the same level of absurdity of current minor league "Spaceballs" looking helmets, or the ridiculous looking ones Wright and Francisco Cervelli had to wear a couple of years ago.