PDA

View Full Version : Grey Flannel auctions

Roady
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
So I am registered at every auction house that sells game used items that I know of.
I never registered for Grey Flannel because to be honest I didn't think it was worth the trouble with the references.
I decided to register today and in the references I put my Ebay id and MLB auctions. I didn't put another one because I can't remember the last time I bid on anything from another site.
I received a call from a very nice lady who stated that they would like my credit card info to proceed since my references were not enough.
I kindly declined and told her I would let her know.
I received a rejection email very shortly after.

So, am I really missing out on some great deals and/or items or not?

It gives me a bad feeling going through so much trouble to give someone my business. Like I have to prove myself or my money is good enough.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

trsent
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Wow, business must be booming if they are turning down bidders!

hairyangryfella
02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
I bid on (and was the highest bidder going into extended bidding) of a jersey GF had up for auction but in the meantime did some research and determined that it couldn't be real due to the placement of a logo. I contacted them about it, and was subsequently banned...

Roady
02-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Ouch. Maybe I am not missing much then.

bruno89
02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
They never accepted my registration either saying at one time if I wanted to bid on a item I would need to send a check and only after they would cash it they would place my bid ...if i didn't got the item they said they would refund me the money but of course I never sent anything...

Just wanted to leave my story here about them and since its their auction house they can run however they want to run it so in any way I'm bashing them...just leaving my story also....

Roady
02-28-2013, 04:32 PM
As bad as it sounds I am actually feeling much better about the whole situation.

dplettn
02-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Isn't it a good thing that bidders be vetted and their funds verified? With eBay (and presumably "other" auction houses) how would you like to bid against a bidder who is bidding with monopoly money? Or, how would you like to go through the hassle of consigning an item then the winning bidder doesn't pay.

I just read somebody's story:

I bid on (and was the highest bidder going into extended bidding) of a jersey GF had up for auction but in the meantime did some research and determined that it couldn't be real due to the placement of a logo. I contacted them about it, and was subsequently banned...

We've all seen the effort Grey Flannel puts into vetting and authenticating items. Its extensive. So basically, this person bid on the item during the auction and then AFTER the auction decided they changed their mind about their own comfort. Sounds like an appropriate banning to me.

An auction house should be vetting items as Grey Flannel is. And an auction house should be vetting bidders to make sure only bidders who are standing behind their bids are involved. Its not something to complain about its something hat upholds the integrity of the auction process. Most things I see on eBay are crap and and most auctions I see run on eBay are manipulated. Grey Flannel should be as opposite eBay as possible.

hairyangryfella
02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
I just read somebody's story:

We've all seen the effort Grey Flannel puts into vetting and authenticating items. Its extensive. So basically, this person bid on the item during the auction and then AFTER the auction decided they changed their mind about their own comfort. Sounds like an appropriate banning to me.

Well if you'd like me to go into further detail instead of just criticizing me...

From memory, they took so long to accept my registration that it was only done in time to bid the day the auctions closed. I was wanting one of a few items but they mostly got out of my price range, so bid on something else that I assumed (with their inspection skills and the COA) would be legit. While the auction was on I started looking for a photomatch, and the one I found proved that there was something wrong, so I got in touch with them immediately. They didn't like that I was questioning them and before they really even fully responded they banned me (as I would have instead bid on the other item I wanted that was into extended bidding).

esquiresports
02-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I've been asked by most auction houses to provide my credit card information as a verification tool. I didn't have an issue with this. The items Grey Flannel sells tend to go from somewhat expensive to insanely expensive, so it makes sense to me why they would want some verification.

When I was new there and told them I had an interest in bidding on a relatively expensive item that was a "featured item," they asked that I demonstrate an ability to pay (e.g., send a redacted bank account). Again, I thought this was reasonable and complied. I didn't take it personally. They had no idea who I was.

If I was a consignor, I would be very happy that they are taking steps to reduce the likelihood of non-paying bidders.

I have found that no major auction house except Heritage accepts credit cards.

Regards,
Scott

nevrdiez34
02-28-2013, 05:12 PM
I've been asked by most auction houses to provide my credit card information as a verification tool. I didn't have an issue with this. The items Grey Flannel sells tend to go from somewhat expensive to insanely expensive, so it makes sense to me why they would want some verification.

When I was new there and told them I had an interest in bidding on a relatively expensive item that was a "featured item," they asked that I demonstrate an ability to pay (e.g., send a redacted bank account). Again, I thought this was reasonable and complied. I didn't take it personally. They had no idea who I was.

If I was a consignor, I would be very happy that they are taking steps to reduce the likelihood of non-paying bidders.

I have found that no major auction house except Heritage accepts credit cards.

Regards,
Scott

Mears Auctions accept credit cards as well.

Roady
02-28-2013, 06:04 PM
I have no problem using my credit card as verification.
I do have a problem giving you the number over the phone.

Birdbats
02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
I, too, have been banned from bidding in GF auctions because I pointed out problems with several Cardinals jerseys in one of their auctions. I was berated on the phone by GF's owner and told I had no credibility. They eventually pulled six of the nine jerseys I questioned, but I still was banned. GF has zero integrity in my book. I don't miss bidding in their auctions.

Flamechicken
02-28-2013, 06:59 PM

If I bid on an item and then, through my own research, I was able to determine that it wasn't what the auction house presented it as, I'd be on the phone to retract my bid or get my money back in a split second. If I deserve to get banned based on those circumstances, then I wouldn't want to deal with that company in the future.

Mike

legaleagle92481
02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
My thoughts:

1. Don't bid on an item unless your 100 percent comfortable with that item. If you need better or additional pics or information ask the auction house or the seller. Before you bid also know the rules of the auction if the rules say all bids are final then if you fail to do your due diligence before bidding you should live with the consequences of that.

2. As someone who has sold alot of items on Ebay. I can tell you that often buyers don't pay for items they bid on. I can imagine it is the same for auction houses so to me there is nothing wrong with ensuring that the buyer is able to pay. If someone can't pay for an item how fair is that to the consignor who consigned the item months before and has been waiting for payment for that whole time? Or the auction house that incurred costs in storing, photographing, evaluating and describing the item.

legaleagle92481
02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
If I bid on an item and then, through my own research, I was able to determine that it wasn't what the auction house presented it as, I'd be on the phone to retract my bid or get my money back in a split second. If I deserve to get banned based on those circumstances, then I wouldn't want to deal with that company in the future.

Mike

The problem with that is despite what most collectors think they are not always right about an item. One collector may be convinced an item is misdescribed yet the auction house may have just as compelling a case as to why the description is accurate. Who is to say one or the other is right?

Flamechicken
02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
The problem with that is despite what most collectors think they are not always right about an item. One collector may be convinced an item is misdescribed yet the auction house may have just as compelling a case as to why the description is accurate. Who is to say one or the other is right?

I understand your point, but I was referring to irrefutable evidence (whatever type of evidence that may be.) I would never call out an auction house on a hunch or the mere possibility that their information was not correct.

Mike

helmets
02-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Years ago I went to log into my GF account and couldn't. When I called them, I was told that I was banned for not paying for an item. When I asked the lady what item, I was told a jersey. I had never bid on any jerseys with them. At the time I didn't own any jerseys or have any interest in jerseys. I argued for a bit but was told I was banned. The only thing that I can think was that I had participated in some threads, on here, about some bogus football helmets that they had on an auction.

I have spent thousands with Heritage, Hunt, Mears, AMI, Mile High, and others. I have paid for any and every item that I have bid on. I haven't looked at a GF auction in years.

Roady
02-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I received my rejection email in just minutes after telling her that I would think about it (providing my credit card number) and let her know.
I had that first impression thing but thought maybe I was just being thin skinned. I guess in this case my first impression was correct.
I appreciate everyone's input.

Nnunnari
02-28-2013, 11:11 PM
I received my rejection email in just minutes after telling her that I would think about it (providing my credit card number) and let her know.
I had that first impression thing but thought maybe I was just being thin skinned. I guess in this case my first impression was correct.
I appreciate everyone's input.

I don't get the big deal of giving them your credit card number over the phone? Are you afraid they're going to rip you off?

Roady
02-28-2013, 11:30 PM
I guess I have a problem with saying the number over the phone and not knowing who may be listening. I don't know. I figure there is really no protection.
Maybe I am just old fashioned.
And to be honest I was put off by her even asking for it. Most companies have a place to do that on their websites. I have not given my credit card number out over the phone in over 20 years I bet.

Roady
02-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Nnunnari,
And in regards to your last question, which strikes me as a bit snide, I don't believe they would rip me off.
That was just a silly question to ask and to be honest I don't appreciate the tone in which you ask it. Seemed kind of confrontational.
Have I answered your questions thoroughly enough? :)

jbean023
02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
Roady could you please email me, thanks.

Roady
03-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Roady could you please email me, thanks.
Done

trsent
03-01-2013, 12:40 AM
I don't mind if an auction house asks for a credit card, it is 2013 and you are protected from unauthorized charges. I don't understand why this isn't asked for with the original application but if they ask for it on the phone I would guess it shouldn't be a big deal, but the fact that you were denied after this is just silly and abusive by Grey Flannel. If I consigned to them, I would be insulted to hear potential bidders are being turned away.

Roady
03-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Probably just saved me money in the long run anyway. So it's all good.
Their business, their rules. I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

Nnunnari
03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Nnunnari,
And in regards to your last question, which strikes me as a bit snide, I don't believe they would rip me off.
That was just a silly question to ask and to be honest I don't appreciate the tone in which you ask it. Seemed kind of confrontational.
Have I answered your questions thoroughly enough? :)

Silly question? You're making a big deal about nothing and are paranoid. If you want to bid in their auction, give them your credit card number and move on. You started a thread looking to bad mouth an auction house when they are simply doing their due diligence. Sorry you had to "go through so much trouble" of providing a credit card number.
On top of that, you want a forum to chime in on how you're "feeling". Really?

Roady
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Silly question? You're making a big deal about nothing and are paranoid. If you want to bid in their auction, give them your credit card number and move on. You started a thread looking to bad mouth an auction house when they are simply doing their due diligence. Sorry you had to "go through so much trouble" of providing a credit card number.
On top of that, you want a forum to chime in on how you're "feeling". Really?
So, is this who you consign your items through? Or do you just like confrontation?
Either way, that chip on your shoulder is the size of a tree.

Roady
03-01-2013, 12:52 PM

Nnunnari
03-01-2013, 01:13 PM
You're wasting everybody's time Roady. Put on your big boy pants and move on.

Roady
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
You're wasting everybody's time Roady. Put on your big boy pants and move on.

Nnunnari
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Sadly, this is what has come of this forum, children posting .gif's and asking about their feelings.

Maybe if the classifieds cap was raised to $1k, more adults would visit this site on a regular basis.

Roady
03-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Sadly, this is what has come of this forum, children posting .gif's and asking about their feelings.

Maybe if the classifieds cap was raised to $1k, more adults would visit this site on a regular basis..

slab0meat
03-01-2013, 01:55 PM
I guess I have a problem with saying the number over the phone and not knowing who may be listening. I don't know. I figure there is really no protection.
Maybe I am just old fashioned.
And to be honest I was put off by her even asking for it. Most companies have a place to do that on their websites. I have not given my credit card number out over the phone in over 20 years I bet.

As stated, there is protection.

I don't understand your hesitation, when it sounds like you have no problem with it on websites? I don't think their phones are tapped and it's going to be used maliciously. If I was to be paranoid over one thing or the other (phone or through a website) I'd pick the website, though in reality I'm neither.

BUT, each to his own. They were the first auction house I tried joining (I'd only bought on eBay, C-to-C on sites, and registered for that one 8 D auction)... since I had no real references, they asked for the credit card number, I gave it. No waiting, I spoke to the lady shortly after I sent the application, she was friendly, joked a little, and that was that.

Roady
03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
After reading what other well respected members here have gone through with them I am glad I didn't register with them.

No lose for either of us.

I am not mad about it, I accept it for what it is.
I was wondering if I made a rash decision and wanted to know what other member thought. Actually the decision was made for me.

I didn't attack first. I was attacked by Nnunnari and scolded like I was his child. I don't take being scolded very well. Some members here act like their opinion is the only opinion and unless you agree with them then you can't join the club.
That's not right.
My opinion, right or wrong in your eyes is still my opinion and you should respect it because it's mine. You don't have to agree with me. But don't jump onto me like a deranged pit bull and expect me to cower in a corner.

I can't understand the members who keep telling me what or what not I should worry about.
I worry about giving my credit card info out over the phone. SO WHAT? Get over yourselves.

Roady
03-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Nnunnari
03-01-2013, 02:55 PM
"Attacked and scolded" when all I did was ask what the big deal was with giving your card info. Roardy, you win the award for most sensitive forum member ever.

Please, if you're going to post a thread on here, make it worth the people's time to click on the link and read. Either have something educational to say or a legitimate question.

slats7
03-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I, too, have been banned from bidding in GF auctions because I pointed out problems with several Cardinals jerseys in one of their auctions. I was berated on the phone by GF's owner and told I had no credibility. They eventually pulled six of the nine jerseys I questioned, but I still was banned. GF has zero integrity in my book. I don't miss bidding in their auctions.

That happened to me too. They turn very thuggish when you point out mistakes. I'd never do business with them.

cubbs1232
03-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't get the big deal of giving them your credit card number over the phone? Are you afraid they're going to rip you off?

In the day and age of identity theft, i personally, rarely let any company store my credit card info. Theres actually only 1 company i have my card on file for and even then i dont let them store it on a computer.

cubbs1232
03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
For yall to keep saying whats the big deal, to me is funny. Hopefully one of the places that store yalls info doesnt get hacked...

Roady
03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
"Attacked and scolded" when all I did was ask what the big deal was with giving your card info. Roardy, you win the award for most sensitive forum member ever.

Please, if you're going to post a thread on here, make it worth the people's time to click on the link and read. Either have something educational to say or a legitimate question.
And yet you keep reading and responding. Does that mean the only threads you can keep up with are those not worth reading.

Many others here have responded with encouragement or stories of their own of Grey Flannel bad practices. Are you insulting them too.
What do you have to say to them? Any words of wisdom for them?

trsent
03-01-2013, 03:38 PM
And yet you keep reading and responding. Does that mean the only threads you can keep up with are those not worth reading.

Many others here have responded with encouragement or stories of their own of Grey Flannel bad practices. Are you insulting them too.
What do you have to say to them? Any words of wisdom for them?

Your previous post was of a picture of a dog statating "Thats it, I'm done" but you continue to post?

What is it? Are you done or continuing to post?

Roady
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Your previous post was of a picture of a dog statating "Thats it, I'm done" but you continue to post?

What is it? Are you done or continuing to post?
Apparently not.
We will hold your hand and get you through this, don't worry.

Roady
03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Someone just sent this to me.
Thank you and you are correct.

legaleagle92481
03-01-2013, 04:02 PM
FYI Grey Flannel does not have another auction for more than two months so it is unclear what you were registering to bid in. How do you know there would even have been something in their auction that you wanted to bid on? I bid all over when I collected but many auctions came up that i was just like nothing here interests me.

trsent
03-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I keep getting emails from veteran members of the forum, so which former banned member do we believe this joker, Roady, to be? Guy is just looking to stir the pot no matter what anyone replies.

Roady
03-01-2013, 04:13 PM
So I should not register with a auction house until I see something I want to bid on?

See the pic above you. I am not taking your bait.

Roady
03-01-2013, 04:14 PM
I keep getting emails from veteran members of the forum, so which former banned member do we believe this joker, Roady, to be? Guy is just looking to stir the pot no matter what anyone replies.

slab0meat
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
For yall to keep saying whats the big deal, to me is funny. Hopefully one of the places that store yalls info doesnt get hacked...

Yalls can have your number stolen anywhere its used. People have paid for items in a store, and the workers there immediately make note of the info and use it. It's happened. You run that risk having a card (maybe it will get stolen! Oh noez!), then using it, whether it's in a store, online, or stored in someone's database.

slab0meat
03-01-2013, 08:46 PM
What is it with all the pictures?

jppopma
03-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Just to ease everyone's fears...most likely every one of your credit card numbers has been stolen. There is a big black market trade of credit card numbers and you never know when your number may be used down the road. Police used to be able to check recent purchases to try to find a link to where or how your card numbers were stolen, but those days are well behind us now.

Giving the number out over the phone, compared to online or in email? No big difference there. Also mant credit cards have RFI chips in them now and thieves can just read the info by standing close to you.

That's all, sleep well.

woodward30
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
The same thing happened to me. Was rejected by Grey Flannel after I declined to give them credit card info.

Mulligans
03-01-2013, 10:26 PM

I believe it was Dolphins23 or one of the other multiple Aliases he used....yes I've have been thinking the same thing.....I give him 24 hours!

trsent
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
I believe it was Dolphins23 or one of the other multiple Aliases he used....yes I've have been thinking the same thing.....I give him 24 hours!

These guys get banned, keep coming back and raising trouble time and time again. Why not come back under your alias and not try to get barred again? Then the joke would be on us, right?

joelsabi
03-02-2013, 01:45 AM
These guys get banned, keep coming back and raising trouble time and time again. Why not come back under your alias and not try to get barred again? Then the joke would be on us, right?

mods take a look if UserID bravesfan. same praise for pujols. similar type posts.

on the bright side, someone who buys a retail hat from an auction house and thinks it was GU orginally is harmless.

Roady
03-02-2013, 04:35 AM
If I am banned for standing up for myself then that is on the owner not me. I will not regret my actions in the least. I will hold my head up and you will know that at least one person told you where you could stick your hatred.

All of you bullies on here remind me of the racist in the '60's.
If you had it your way you would keep everyone else in the back of the bus and make them use separate bathrooms.

I have nothing buy pity for you. And remember, one day it will be shouted from the rooftops for everyone to hear.
Remember, packs animals are very weak by themselves. So stay together and draw on what you believe is strength. Everyone else sees you as very weak little children.

jppopma
03-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Roady, In the past there have been some people that have come on under various names just to stir things up and/or badmouth people and companies. Do a search under some of the names that were mentioned and you will see where some of the hostility is. Everyone has their own opinions, so its not worth getting involved in the back and forth. Best of luck and welcome. JP

mickeymbz
03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
If I am banned for standing up for myself then that is on the owner not me. I will not regret my actions in the least. I will hold my head up and you will know that at least one person told you where you could stick your hatred.

All of you bullies on here remind me of the racist in the '60's.
If you had it your way you would keep everyone else in the back of the bus and make them use separate bathrooms.

I have nothing buy pity for you. And remember, one day it will be shouted from the rooftops for everyone to hear.
Remember, packs animals are very weak by themselves. So stay together and draw on what you believe is strength. Everyone else sees you as very weak little children.

whoah,,,chill!

Roady
03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Roady, In the past there have been some people that have come on under various names just to stir things up and/or badmouth people and companies. Do a search under some of the names that were mentioned and you will see where some of the hostility is. Everyone has their own opinions, so its not worth getting involved in the back and forth. Best of luck and welcome. JP
I can understand that.
I am still interested in these members opinions of all the other well respected members who have spoke out against Grey Flannel.
Do I get all the hostility because I am the new guy or am I just the first to stand up to them? Most bullies don't like being hit back and they don't know how to react.
My dad always told me to never back down from a bully. Even if he beats you up at least give him a reason to never pick on you again.
These internet bullies are bit harder to stand up to but they are still the same bullies as always.
All of you have been nice to me and shared your own stories in this thread, thank you.
Those who gang up together and feel strong and safe in your little group are a bunch of children who should have been put over your daddy's knee a few times. I am sure your parents are very proud of what you have become.

trsent
03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
I can understand that.
I am still interested in these members opinions of all the other well respected members who have spoke out against Grey Flannel.
Do I get all the hostility because I am the new guy or am I just the first to stand up to them? Most bullies don't like being hit back and they don't know how to react.
My dad always told me to never back down from a bully. Even if he beats you up at least give him a reason to never pick on you again.
These internet bullies are bit harder to stand up to but they are still the same bullies as always.
All of you have been nice to me and shared your own stories in this thread, thank you.
Those who gang up together and feel strong and safe in your little group are a bunch of children who should have been put over your daddy's knee a few times. I am sure your parents are very proud of what you have become.

OMG - I need a Vikatan if I have to read anymore of this...

Roady
03-02-2013, 04:59 PM
OMG - I need a Vikatan if I have to read anymore of this...

Nnunnari
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Joel-you're wasting your time with this mental midget, he's obviously not all there.

Roady
03-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Bullies

mickeymbz
03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
jeeeezus,,, grow up