PDA

View Full Version : 1960's ABC Braves helmet on eBay?

wjyoung
03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and have only been collecting for a few years. I collect a lot of Braves memorabilia, but mostly stick to game used bats. I found what appears to be an old pro model Milwaukee Braves ABC helmet on eBay. I have never purchased or done much research on batting helmets so I was wondering if I could get a little help with this one.

Heres a link to the item page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-MLB-Milwaukee-Braves-pre-Atlanta-Braves-batting-helmet-Eddie-Mathews-/321081930960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac1f974d0

The style, coloring, and use all look authentic to me. What do y'all think? Thanks.

sox83cubs84
03-02-2013, 05:01 PM
The seller guesses that the helmet is from the 1965-67 era, but, as you probably know, the Braves only played in Milwaukee through 1965.

Here is a 1962 photo on Roy McMillan's 1964 Topps card:

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqe9krxnEEWZMXFbY9MzjWg.jpg

Dating the photo to 1962 is based on the placket braiding on the jersey...it changed in 1963.

The M doesn't match, but more photos would be needed to give the helmet on eBay a yea or a nay, as the above only represents one season.

Dave Miedema

momen55
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
different M?

sox83cubs84
03-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, but more photos from other years are needed to say with certainty.

Dave M.

cohibasmoker
03-03-2013, 07:34 AM
It is a Braves helmet? It could be.

It's a cool helmet and I think it was reconditioned and/or repainted at some point. If you look at the rim on the brim of the helmet, there are sections of the rim that have chipped off. When you look at the areas where the pieces chipped off, shouldn't the newly exposed areas be a different color than the rest of the brim? Or at least look like the underside of the brim with fiberglass threads?

Jim

dwight24
03-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Take a look at the auction now. I sent some information to the seller and he has updated the auction according to my views on the helmet.

I don't want to repeat what I emailed him as it is lengthy and all my comments are now in the description, but based on the ABC sticker, the helmet can't realistically be a Milwaukee Braves helmet. the main reason bebing that one of the patent numbers on the sticker was issues February 2, 1965. It is very unlikely that ABC would have obtained a patten in February '65 and then been able to get stickers in the helmets for the '65 season. So, this helmet is from '66 or later. But on the very unlikely chance that this helmet did get a sticker in it, and it is a Milwaukee Braves helmet, the only year it could be from is 1965 (since the pattent was given in 1965 and the last year the Braves were in Milwaukee was in 1965)

That being said, I also emailed him a photo of Eddie Mathiews taking batting practice in 1965. He added this photo to the listing. As you will see, the photo shows a "thicker" M than the one that is on the helmet.

The seller seems really honest and up front about not being sure what he has and presenting you with what information he has.