PDA

View Full Version : WBC-San Francisco Going?

EurekaDave
03-09-2013, 01:00 PM
I've had tickets for months. I'm jacked. Don't care if USA makes it. Are you going? Where are you sitting? Maybe I'll see you.

Dave Silverbrand

dre707
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
When is it and can you still get tickets? I would love to go i live near sacramento and dont mind taking a drive out there.

Bondsgloves
03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I have tickets for Sunday, will be there.

xpress34
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
I've had tickets for months. I'm jacked. Don't care if USA makes it. Are you going? Where are you sitting? Maybe I'll see you.

Dave Silverbrand

Dave -

Maybe you mean nothing by it, but putting that statement out there - 'Don't care if USA makes it' - is a bit offensive (at least to me) being a Disabled Veteran.

Why would you not be pulling for your country?

- Smitty

kellsox
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Wow. I don't know the poster at all but did you ever consider that he has ties to another country????? Or maybe he just wants to see "good"baseball regardless of who advances????
I think the tourney itself is a joke- players declining participation , leaving and joining their teams from game to game , etc... The national pride angle is a bit overplayed also as many players had options of which country to play for. Pretty sure I read Michael young considered playing for Mexico- he played for the us in 09.....

xpress34
03-15-2013, 12:13 AM
Wow. I don't know the poster at all but did you ever consider that he has ties to another country????? Or maybe he just wants to see "good"baseball regardless of who advances????
I think the tourney itself is a joke- players declining participation , leaving and joining their teams from game to game , etc... The national pride angle is a bit overplayed also as many players had options of which country to play for. Pretty sure I read Michael young considered playing for Mexico- he played for the us in 09.....

Again, as a Disabled Veteran, the 'National Pride' angle is always my angle... but I digress...

I don't know Dave personally, but did you ever think, that if he has ties to another country, he could have said, "I'm really rooting for Team XXXXX"?

But again, I digress.

EurekaDave
03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Sorry. I did not mean to offend anyone, especially veterans for whom I have boundless respect and thanks for their service. Were it not for people who have paid a great price, I could not have enjoyed my career as a journalist. Writers in other countries are not so fortunate.

Having said that, I just wanted good patriotic baseball--and I got a chill when I saw our national colors. Disappointed because the traditional fly-over of our airborne forces was cancelled because of Washington gridlock. Shame.

I didn't mean to be cavalier (apologies to the moderator). But I also think baseball is one place in life where we should not take ourselves too seriously. There is way too much serious stuff out there.

Last night at the final game, I saw Dominican players and Puerto Rican players congratulating each other. I also saw Japanese players bowing to their opposition.

I'm as patriotic as the next guy. But the world is a lot bigger than Yankee Stadium or Cooperstown.

So again, apologies if I ticked off somebody-- anybody. Never my intention.
Did I cover everything?

PS
I think MLB was equally disappointed that USA didn't make it. They were charging only $8 a ticket. Remember when that was the going rate? And think of the lost advertising revenue. America! What a country!!!
Eureka Dave

EurekaDave
03-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Oh, something I forgot to mention....
I do have ties to the Dominican Republic. I have taken baseball stuff kids don't want anymore here and sent it down to a small Dominican village.
I topped it off at 10,000 pounds. I'm talking about kids with no shoes and --perish the thought--no smartphones.

So yeah, I have a connection. That said, I loved the outcome of the WBC. Now those kids have something to celebrate. We've got March Madness. They don't...

Eureka Dave