PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a jersey from US to AU?

emann
03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
I have a buyer for a jersey and it needs to go to Australia. Has anybody shipped there before? If so, what is the most cost effective way to do it? The buyer said they were shipped a jersey recently via "USPS International First Class" for $18.

Am I doing something incorrect here—it normally costs me $12-15 just to get it across the US. It can't possibly get there for only $18 (I don't want to wreck the jersey by stuffing it into a tiny package)...

The online USPS calculator appears to only do Global Priority which is about $60 and my local PO was less than helpful. FedEx was insanely expensive.

Any tips?

Beckster24
03-13-2013, 05:01 PM
It will be fine just get the biggest padded envelope mailer you can find big enough to fit the jersey so its folded up nicely, thats it, will be fine, only should cost $18 - $30 no more then that

bravesfanjd
03-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I ship items internationally and Australia is one of the more expensive places to ship to because they are the furthest away. If you ship it first class you can't inusre the package and you won't be able to have tracking information. Only Priority and express allow you to have tracking info. The last thing I shipped to AU was 10 pounds and it cost me $80 priority but the box was big and obviously a jersey isn't going to weigh 10 pounds.

Hope this Helps

Joshua

both-teams-played-hard
03-13-2013, 06:05 PM
PayPal requires a tracking number and proof of delivery. Not just proof that the package was sent. US Express mail is the only service that gives a tracking number and proof of delivery for international parcels. Prices have just gone up. It will be around $42 to ship to Australia.
Here me know, believe me later. I have years of experience with this issue.

Klattsy
03-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Knock on wood, but I have had no troubles with not getting packages delivered to Aus without tracking. It really jacks up the price. I had a jersey squashed in a first class envelope once and it cost $13. Most packages are around $40 though (bats or jerseys). Just keep in mind it will take up to 4 full weeks. I have been waiting 25 days now for two packages. I think the delay is mainly at our end.

emann
03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
It will be fine just get the biggest padded envelope mailer you can find big enough to fit the jersey so its folded up nicely, thats it, will be fine, only should cost $18 - $30 no more then that

Wait, you're the person I'm shipping to! ;)

emann
03-13-2013, 06:43 PM
PayPal requires a tracking number and proof of delivery. Not just proof that the package was sent. US Express mail is the only service that gives a tracking number and proof of delivery for international parcels. Prices have just gone up. It will be around $42 to ship to Australia.
Here me know, believe me later. I have years of experience with this issue.

Thanks both-teams-played-hard (and everybody else), this is what I assumed and was looking for... I don't want to damage the jersey stuffing it into an envelope and it also needs to have tracking/insurance of some form.

It's not a crazy expensive jersey, but it's $400 and I'd prefer it gets to the buyer undamaged (for their sake and mine)!

Beckster24
03-14-2013, 04:07 AM
Thanks both-teams-played-hard (and everybody else), this is what I assumed and was looking for... I don't want to damage the jersey stuffing it into an envelope and it also needs to have tracking/insurance of some form.

It's not a crazy expensive jersey, but it's $400 and I'd prefer it gets to the buyer undamaged (for their sake and mine)!

Hope we can work something out?

scottishcowboy41
03-14-2013, 11:12 AM
I live over in the United Kingdom and buy Dallas Cowboys game jerseys from the States with no issues. There has been a recent price increase in shipping, but I got game jersey and pants shipped over recently by USPS Priority in a good quality envelope for $42 which includes full parcel tracking. I have shipped items to Australia in the past and found the shipping prices to be pretty comparable to shipping between the UK and US. Insuring the $400 value may well jack the price up a bit from $42 however. Also your buyer will incur some pretty high import charges as I am sure Australian Custom works the same way as in the UK. The way round this is to mark the item as a gift with a very low value on the customs paperwork before shipping. Hope this helps.

both-teams-played-hard
03-14-2013, 08:15 PM
The way round this is to mark the item as a gift with a very low value on the customs paperwork before shipping.

The value you declare on the customs form must be the same as you declare on insurance.

Klattsy
03-14-2013, 11:00 PM
We have no import charges here. One of the few things that make receiving great.

Beckster24
03-15-2013, 04:52 AM
We have no import charges here. One of the few things that make receiving great.

I know if its valued at 1,000 we have to pay a sales tax for it to be received I had that happen with some items I purchased but I didn't have to pay it as showed a paypal receipt of what I paid it didn't come to that amount so customs passed it on to my address