PDA

View Full Version : Goldin Auctions - Pete Rose bat

tacprc
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=1543&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=1985-Pete-Rose-Corked-Game-Used-Mizuno-Bat-with-X-Ray-PSA-GU-10

In my opinion the description for the Pete Rose corked bat in the current Goldin Auctions event contains several unsubstantiated assertions.

In line with the original Deadspin.com article regarding this bat, the fabrications include 1) details about Mizuno's shipment of bats to Rose for the 1985 season including the total number of bats and their weight; 2) the suggestion that Rose personally sold this bat in the late 1980's; and most importantly 3) the precise date and location of the Bob Bartosz photo showing Pete holding the bat.

These issues were discussed on this forum back in 2010.
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=35687&highlight=Pete+Rose

While I am hesitant to re-start this discussion, I want to alert potential bidders to my analysis -- in case they find it useful.

Here is a clean link to my radio interview on the subject.
http://www.700wlw.com/player/?mid=19683895

About a month ago, I communicated my concerns to Ken Goldin over the telephone, but from what I can tell he made no changes to the auction description.

KGoldin
03-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Hello Chuck Lumb.
I received an email from you about 4 weeks ago and immediately called you and spent some time on the phone with you.
I told you on the phone, and you confirmed you knew, that i knew Pete Rose personally, I was able to pick up the phone personally and call pete, and I knew several people who were involved with him in 1985.

I told you on the phone that I would research this bat, and if i felt that Pete Rose did not use a corked bat in 1985, and that this was not a corked bat used by Pete Rose in 1985, i would pull the bat. I told you if it was left up there, it meant i was comfortable with it .

Without revealing confidential matters, I can simply tell you that my research did not suggest in any way i should pull the bat. My research also revealed that you are somewhat of a Pete Rose zealout, which is fine, as long as your passion does not over come you.
Any time i have a question about an item, I will pull it. I have demonstrated this. I also address it immediately, as i did when i asked you for a phone # and contacted you. You had said on the phone you would respect my decision. My decision was to leave the bat in. I am sorry you did not like my decision. I am very comfortable with the bat and anyone who purchases it will get a lifetime guarantee of authenticity from Goldin Auctions, as well as its PSA GU-10 desgination.
Ken Goldin

tacprc
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Ken, I was not expecting you to pull the bat. Rather I was hoping that you would change a few lines of the description to remove the unsubstantiated assertions as outlined below. As I told you, in my mind these are puffery intended to increase the value of the bat.