PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller 2013 Probowl Issued Jersey - Thrift shop find

marino13
03-19-2013, 10:03 PM
I do frequent high-end thrift shop in NYC (Yes, they do exist by the pricing they attach to the items. I have encountered art works and so forth but never anything GU related -- until this past weekend.

At first glance of the jersey, I figure it was a cheap knockoff of some kind but at closer inspection and the high price tag - I would figure, it might not be after all.

All the stitches look well sewn.

All the patches look like high-end patches not some cheapies. And the one that stands out the most, the NIKE tag along with the 2012 (+4 Length) on the neck that sold it for me.

While I was holding on the jersey and google-ing HEATH MILLER, a gentleman walked over and asked if I was going to buy it since he saw it early but now decide to pick it up. I just smile and say "I am going to buy it as soon as I find out who he is" :D

Being a Jets fan, so I could care less about Steelers but I am a collector first and a fan second --- so I am not going to let this pass me by.

After a quick read on Wikipedia - interesting to say the least.

During a 13-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals in week 16, Miller tore his ACL and MCL, causing him to miss the rest of the season, that same week he was also selected to the Pro Bowl. After the season MIller was voted MVP of the team by his fellow teammates for his contributions in the 2012 season.

And another quick images search for the jersey - sure enough it looked closer enough to be the same jersey that they were wearing.

I took the jersey to the paying counter while I can feel the other gentleman's eyes burning on my back - he must be pissed (which is another reason why I think I am making the right decision), I asked the cashier why is this jersey so pricey and she pointed to the store manager.

To make the story short, the donator for these jerseys (yes he donate to the same store many times in the past) he WORKS with the NFL - and with the pricey neighborhood around the area, I sold on that also.

After paying for the jersey, I ask the store manager if it is possible to call me when they have more jerseys coming (hopefully from the same person) and his response "I will put your info with the rest" :D

I guess I am going to frequent this place more often - stalking it if is necessary!

Now back to the jersey - I have a couple pictures but they are too large to load up. Maybe someone here knows how to fix that problem - resizing the pictures, let me know and I will you the pictures

How many of these are out there? Not much in my opinion since he was injured BEFORE he got voted in the ProBowl. Maybe I will keep this jersey and used it as trade bait for future game used stuff I want.

helmets
03-20-2013, 06:35 AM
My only question...how does an NFL fan, even a Jets fan, and a collector of NFL game worn items, not know who Heath Miller is???

Just wondering...

jhunt28
03-20-2013, 09:50 AM
I'd love to see pics...very strange story. So this person just gives 3 month old game issued jerseys to thrift stores?? Great find for you...

Jags Fan Dan
03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I was under the impression that players were issued two game jerseys. This makes sense, because any more than that seems unnecessary for a game of touch football.

Jags Fan Dan
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
If you email the pics to danno_45255 at yahoo I will get them posted.

marino13
03-20-2013, 09:56 AM
My only question...how does an NFL fan, even a Jets fan, and a collector of NFL game worn items, not know who Heath Miller is???

Just wondering...

:D

Is Heath Miller a household's name? Unless you are from the 'Burg, then no. As an "embarrass" Jets fan as is, I dont think I have time to learn names of the opponent's team. Cant barely pay attention or watch the games. :mad: And this is another reason why I do not collect NFL gamers - have no interest in them what so ever.

If the jersey would have been Manning or other household's names, I would doubt that it would be on the rack. But then again, thanks to handheld technology device (I love my galaxy s3), I was able to educate myself with who Heath Miller is.

Most likely, the person who came back for it, might have figure out who he is also.

marino13
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
If you email the pics to danno_45255 at yahoo I will get them posted.

Will email the pictures. thanks for your help.

marino13
03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the help.

marino13
03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I'd love to see pics...very strange story. So this person just gives 3 month old game issued jerseys to thrift stores?? Great find for you...

I am going to stalk the place more often from now on - since I think the NFL's bug have been planted. :D

Maybe I want to find out the true reason behind the donation, but then again "Who has time for that?" --- as long as I can get more at "thrift shop's pricing", I dont mind at all.

jhunt28
03-20-2013, 11:03 AM
wow...i'm blown away...i was honestly expecting to see photos of some chinese knockoff jersey...im intrigued now as to why someone would just drop a jersey like this off to a thrift store?????

abstractheory
03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Never heard of HEEEEEEEEATH Miller before?

Go watch your team play the Steelers and you will never forget him ;)

marino13
03-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Never heard of HEEEEEEEEATH Miller before?

Go watch your team play the Steelers and you will never forget him ;)

If I did, I would have known. But serious, how many Jets fans actually watching the team play nowaday?

Watching paint dries is more interesting!

And yes, it is that bad being a Jets fan but oh well, there is always "next decade" :)

marino13
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
wow...i'm blown away...i was honestly expecting to see photos of some chinese knockoff jersey...im intrigued now as to why someone would just drop a jersey like this off to a thrift store?????

I had the same reaction when I actually got the jersey in my hands.

The logos were a wow factor in itself.

And the best part - the double stitchings on the numbers were another "legit" giveaway.

jake33
03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Doesn the NFL have a flagship store in NYC? I know they are likely not sold at retail, but wondering if there was some connection to somone who worked there....

Another thought is that with the NFL offices in NYC.... an employee that didn't want to get caught selling it got it to a thift store rather than selling online to avoid being seen by the loss prevention department department.

marino13
03-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I am not sure if there is a NFL flagship store in NYC or not, but I know NBA and NHL do exist in midtown.

As for the reason the jersey(s) being donated instead of being sold, I have no idea, but one thing for sure I am going make a commitment to drop by there at least twice a week if not more.

Have never own any gamers beside the Yankees, it would be nice to expand my collection at a "thrift store's price" instead of "steinersport's price"

marino13
03-20-2013, 04:31 PM

paul457
03-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Speaking of 2013 Pro Bowl jerseys - has anyone found a source that has these for sale? I figured they'd have hit the NFL Auction site by now, but nothing.

marino13
03-20-2013, 09:19 PM
I would love to find out also - the NFL auction for the Pro Bowl Jersey (issued or used). I know I had a good deal, but I would not mind knowing what they actually going for. It would be easier to trade it for something that would enhance my collection.

So, if you have Yankees game used items and want to make a trade, let me know and we will do something.

GMEN92
03-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Great find.. so whats was the "HIGH END THRIFT STORE " price tag on it?

marino13
03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Great find.. so whats was the "HIGH END THRIFT STORE " price tag on it?

More than $50 and less than $150.

GMEN92
03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
AWESOME!!! NICE FIND!! I am going to set up a tent outside that shop :p Jk

marino13
03-21-2013, 11:26 AM
AWESOME!!! NICE FIND!! I am going to set up a tent outside that shop :p Jk

I am NOT going to put a tent up, if I did everyone else will wonder what's up.

Just going to hang out there after work and a little time over the weekend since the store manager said that there are stuff being put out friday night so the weekend people can have more selection to choose from.

This a good rush. Just like going fishing. Sometimes you get lucky and most of the time you come home empty handed. :) It's is still fun!

Anyone has any idea how much it worth? All I know is it worth more than what I paid for it. But the adrenaline rush worth the price of the admission!

genius
03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Sweet jersey! I could be wrong but I think it's worth $300-500. Miller didn't play in the Pro Bowl, and I'm not sure if he even traveled to the game. There's no documentation that it's an "issued" jersey, could be one of many they made up for each player or could be a prototype. Anyway, I think there's some doubt as to whether this is the jersey that would have ended up on Miller's back. He got hurt shortly after they announced the Pro Bowl lineup so they knew he wasn't going to play.

That said, if someone out there is looking for an authentic Heath Miller Pro Bowl jersey, where else are they going to find one? If you can find someone in that situation you might get more $$$. It all depends on how many people want one of these and how high they are willing to go. Only way to know for sure is to put a price on it and see if there are any takers, or list on ebay!

Congrats on a great pickup!

GMEN92
03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
I would agree 300-500. Depending on person and interest.. But still a good find

marino13
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
My guess would have been around $400 - right underneath the threshold of GUU's guideline of $500 (Just in case I want to sell to another member on here instead of eBay).

When the time is right, "game used's recycling funds" will need to be recycled. This way, there is no out of pocket expense.

But then again, if they put something else up at the store, I will make sure I have enough funds to pickup whatever they have or pick up just one.

marino13
03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
GMAN92 .. you going to hate this!

Talking about a dollar short and a couple hours late....

Dropping by the store again today - no game issued find today, but when I talked to the cashier .... :mad: and she said...

A Giants jersey - similar to the one to the one purchased last week, funny looking shoulders and a white tag with some numbers on the neck.

When I asked, what was the jersey number or the name on the jersey, her response: 72.

Justin Tuck game issued/used jersey?

And she also said it was a RED jersey - damn, that would have been cool to pick up also even if I am a Jets fan.

And when I asked about the price, it was marked at $150.

I guess next time I will be there when the story opened.

marino13
03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
A Giants jersey - similar to the one to the one purchased last week, funny looking shoulders and a white tag with some numbers on the neck.

When I asked, what was the jersey number or the name on the jersey, her response: 72.

Justin Tuck game issued/used jersey?

Correction ... it was OSI Umenyiora..

Like I said, being a Jets fan, I dont pay attention to other teams' players. :D

GMEN92
03-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Correction ... it was OSI Umenyiora..

Like I said, being a Jets fan, I dont pay attention to other teams' players. :D

Yes that's osi and would be cool especially a red one.. Send me a email mjjakab@yahoo.com.

marino13
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Yes that's osi and would be cool especially a red one.. Send me a email mjjakab@yahoo.com.

If I picked up the RED alternate jersey of OSI, I would have email you.

But I was LATE and the jersey sold already. Even for $150, an issued jersey of OSI with a year tag, it's worth it.

jaredstupsky
03-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Nice find. Would you think about moving the jersey? I'm a fan of heaths if you would part with it. Please email me at jared_stupsky@yahoo.com. I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

marino13
03-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice find. Would you think about moving the jersey? I'm a fan of heaths if you would part with it. Please email me at jared_stupsky@yahoo.com. I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much!

How much are you offering? :D

I am working on a trade with my friend as we speak - even swap. Yankees gamer for this jersey. He has not giving me a list of gamers to choose from.

But then again, Cash/Paypal is king, right?

jaredstupsky
03-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Can you email me at jared_stupsky@yahoo.com and we can talk about a deal. If you prefer the yankees deal, I understand as it seems you are a fan. If not and you are open to a deal, please email me as soon as possible.

Steeleraddict
03-29-2013, 01:01 AM
Hi marino13,
I'm a huuge Steeler fan and also a Heath miller fan. Watched him since we drafted him. Was awesome this year. If the other two members don't offer you what you feel is reasonable, I would love the opportunity to purchase your jersey. I don't think I have anything you would like in trade but cash is king if you would like that.
Let me know. And congrats on the awesome jersey.
Thanks
Rob

marino13
03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
I will give the "Trading for Yankees' gamer" deal until the end of next week. If nothing can be agreed upon, I will take best offer for the jersey in private and go from there.

jaredstupsky
04-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Is the jersey still available? Shoot me an email at jared_stupsky@yahoo.com

nosferat58
10-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi, did you sold the jersey? How much did you get for it?

marino13
11-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi, did you sold the jersey? How much did you get for it?

Havent sold the jersey -- yet.

But I will keep you update as soon as I decide to let it go. :D

carbonrosa
11-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Does anyone know the name of this thrift store? I live in ny and would like to check it out.
-Devin

Anabolicollege17
11-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Is Heath Miller a household's name? Unless you are from the 'Burg, then no. As an "embarrass" Jets fan as is, I dont think I have time to learn names of the opponent's team. Cant barely pay attention or watch the games. :mad: And this is another reason why I do not collect NFL gamers - have no interest in them what so ever.

If the jersey would have been Manning or other household's names, I would doubt that it would be on the rack. But then again, thanks to handheld technology device (I love my galaxy s3), I was able to educate myself with who Heath Miller is.

Most likely, the person who came back for it, might have figure out who he is also.

A jet fan with the name Marino13 thats a first.

Anabolicollege17
11-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Try Metropolis thrift 43 3rd ave east village. Been there many times they have some pretty neat finds.

Also there are a few on the Upper West side where you can find some hidden gems. I don't remember the names off hand.

marino13
11-26-2013, 11:56 AM
A jet fan with the name Marino13 thats a first.

A fan of Dan Marino since his Pittsburg days... I root for Marino as a player and the Jets as a team.... I don't see anything wrong with that.

And if the Dolphins play the Jets - I am rooting for a 300-yard game and 4TDs for Dan.... And the Jets win in OT... :D

marino13
11-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know the name of this thrift store? I live in ny and would like to check it out.
-Devin

Hey D... You ain't going to get the store location from me... No way I'm sharing:D

I don't want GU members camping out like Black Friday for game used items... Hahahaha.

I only drop by once every other day after work - and if I'm lucky enough to see something that others passed, then a quick Google and decide from there.

marino13
11-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Try Metropolis thrift 43 3rd ave east village. Been there many times they have some pretty neat finds.

Also there are a few on the Upper West side where you can find some hidden gems. I don't remember the names off hand.

Try to avoid signed stuff unless you know what you are looking for.

I did picked up a couple pencil sketches from decent artists ... Olympic game tickets and so forth..

Anabolicollege17
11-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey Marino what do you mean avoid signed stuff? Like signed jerseys? I wouldn't even buy a gamer with a legit auto. I dislike autos a lot. I like natural jersey state

paul457
11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Dude... sell me that Gronk PB jersey already!!! :p

marino13
11-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey Marino what do you mean avoid signed stuff? Like signed jerseys? I wouldn't even buy a gamer with a legit auto. I dislike autos a lot. I like natural jersey state

I saw a couple autograph baseballs at the store you mentioned and they all "funny" looking .... so, personally I would stay away from them.

I did come across some signed comics and since I recognized the signatures, I picked some up for cheap.

marino13
11-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Dude... sell me that Gronk PB jersey already!!! :p

Make me an offer I cant refuse... hahahhaha

paul457
11-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Make me an offer I cant refuse... hahahhaha

I'll definitely shoot you an offer, but I can't really do it here per forum rules, and your PM's are turned off.

Can you email me? - tobey457@gmail.com. I have a baby due in the next two weeks, so I need to spend some $$ before then!! :p

cfern023
12-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Marino13,
I have a game used MLB hit ball, but can't send you a message. How should I get in touch?