Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marino13
    • Feb 2010

Heath Miller 2013 Probowl Issued Jersey - Thrift shop find

I do frequent high-end thrift shop in NYC (Yes, they do exist by the pricing they attach to the items. I have encountered art works and so forth but never anything GU related -- until this past weekend.

At first glance of the jersey, I figure it was a cheap knockoff of some kind but at closer inspection and the high price tag - I would figure, it might not be after all.

All the stitches look well sewn.

All the patches look like high-end patches not some cheapies. And the one that stands out the most, the NIKE tag along with the 2012 (+4 Length) on the neck that sold it for me.

While I was holding on the jersey and google-ing HEATH MILLER, a gentleman walked over and asked if I was going to buy it since he saw it early but now decide to pick it up. I just smile and say "I am going to buy it as soon as I find out who he is"

Being a Jets fan, so I could care less about Steelers but I am a collector first and a fan second --- so I am not going to let this pass me by.

After a quick read on Wikipedia - interesting to say the least.

During a 13-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals in week 16, Miller tore his ACL and MCL, causing him to miss the rest of the season, that same week he was also selected to the Pro Bowl. After the season MIller was voted MVP of the team by his fellow teammates for his contributions in the 2012 season.

And another quick images search for the jersey - sure enough it looked closer enough to be the same jersey that they were wearing.

I took the jersey to the paying counter while I can feel the other gentleman's eyes burning on my back - he must be pissed (which is another reason why I think I am making the right decision), I asked the cashier why is this jersey so pricey and she pointed to the store manager.

To make the story short, the donator for these jerseys (yes he donate to the same store many times in the past) he WORKS with the NFL - and with the pricey neighborhood around the area, I sold on that also.

After paying for the jersey, I ask the store manager if it is possible to call me when they have more jerseys coming (hopefully from the same person) and his response "I will put your info with the rest"

I guess I am going to frequent this place more often - stalking it if is necessary!

Now back to the jersey - I have a couple pictures but they are too large to load up. Maybe someone here knows how to fix that problem - resizing the pictures, let me know and I will you the pictures

How many of these are out there? Not much in my opinion since he was injured BEFORE he got voted in the ProBowl. Maybe I will keep this jersey and used it as trade bait for future game used stuff I want.
  • helmets
    • Mar 2008

Re: Heath Miller 2013 Probowl Issued Jersey - Thrift shop find

My only question...how does an NFL fan, even a Jets fan, and a collector of NFL game worn items, not know who Heath Miller is???

Just wondering...
    Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• jhunt28
      • Oct 2008

I'd love to see pics...very strange story. So this person just gives 3 month old game issued jerseys to thrift stores?? Great find for you...

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
        • Apr 2007

I was under the impression that players were issued two game jerseys. This makes sense, because any more than that seems unnecessary for a game of touch football.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
          • Apr 2007

If you email the pics to danno_45255 at yahoo I will get them posted.

Comment

• marino13
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by helmets
            My only question...how does an NFL fan, even a Jets fan, and a collector of NFL game worn items, not know who Heath Miller is???

Just wondering...

Is Heath Miller a household's name? Unless you are from the 'Burg, then no. As an "embarrass" Jets fan as is, I dont think I have time to learn names of the opponent's team. Cant barely pay attention or watch the games. And this is another reason why I do not collect NFL gamers - have no interest in them what so ever.

If the jersey would have been Manning or other household's names, I would doubt that it would be on the rack. But then again, thanks to handheld technology device (I love my galaxy s3), I was able to educate myself with who Heath Miller is.

Most likely, the person who came back for it, might have figure out who he is also.

Comment

• marino13
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
              If you email the pics to danno_45255 at yahoo I will get them posted.
              Will email the pictures. thanks for your help.

Comment

• marino13
                • Feb 2010

Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	miller_probowl.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	689280

Name:	miller_probowl_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	689283

Name:	miller_probowl_4.jpg
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	689282

Name:	miller_probowl_5.jpg
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	689279

Name:	miller_probowl_6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	514.1 KB
ID:	689281

Comment

• marino13
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jhunt28
                  I'd love to see pics...very strange story. So this person just gives 3 month old game issued jerseys to thrift stores?? Great find for you...

I am going to stalk the place more often from now on - since I think the NFL's bug have been planted.

Maybe I want to find out the true reason behind the donation, but then again "Who has time for that?" --- as long as I can get more at "thrift shop's pricing", I dont mind at all.

Comment

• jhunt28
                    • Oct 2008

wow...i'm blown away...i was honestly expecting to see photos of some chinese knockoff jersey...im intrigued now as to why someone would just drop a jersey like this off to a thrift store?????

Comment

• abstractheory
                      • Apr 2010

Never heard of HEEEEEEEEATH Miller before?

Go watch your team play the Steelers and you will never forget him

Comment

• marino13
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by abstractheory
                        Never heard of HEEEEEEEEATH Miller before?

Go watch your team play the Steelers and you will never forget him

If I did, I would have known. But serious, how many Jets fans actually watching the team play nowaday?

Watching paint dries is more interesting!

And yes, it is that bad being a Jets fan but oh well, there is always "next decade"

Comment

• marino13
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jhunt28
                          wow...i'm blown away...i was honestly expecting to see photos of some chinese knockoff jersey...im intrigued now as to why someone would just drop a jersey like this off to a thrift store?????

I had the same reaction when I actually got the jersey in my hands.

The logos were a wow factor in itself.

And the best part - the double stitchings on the numbers were another "legit" giveaway.

Comment

• jake33
                            • Nov 2005

Doesn the NFL have a flagship store in NYC? I know they are likely not sold at retail, but wondering if there was some connection to somone who worked there....

Another thought is that with the NFL offices in NYC.... an employee that didn't want to get caught selling it got it to a thift store rather than selling online to avoid being seen by the loss prevention department department.

Comment

• marino13
                              • Feb 2010

I am not sure if there is a NFL flagship store in NYC or not, but I know NBA and NHL do exist in midtown.

As for the reason the jersey(s) being donated instead of being sold, I have no idea, but one thing for sure I am going make a commitment to drop by there at least twice a week if not more.

Have never own any gamers beside the Yankees, it would be nice to expand my collection at a "thrift store's price" instead of "steinersport's price"

Comment

Working...