PDA

View Full Version : Yankees uniforms

Vintagedeputy
12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
With the recent talk about Yankee uniforms and auctions, that got me thinking. I always thought that back in the day, Yankees uni's were super rare. It always seemed that they rarely turned up in auctions or for sale listings. What's the current status of these in the hobby?

My reason for asking is that I own a 1985 Dan Pasqua home jersey. I purchased it back in 86 and paid way too much as I was a big Pasqua fan. I think now that the value is about what I paid for it.

Also, does anyone have any pics of 85 Yankees jerseys or tagging info?

Thanks
Jim

kingjammy24
12-13-2005, 03:11 PM
Jim,

1985 Yankees jerseys were made by Wilson. The Wilson tag was located on the outside of the jersey, on the front, on the bottom. As usual, no names on the back of the jerseys. A 1985 Yankees jersey should have the Sheehy armband on the left sleeve. The armband should be present on both home and road jerseys. They were tagged in the neck. See my photos below.

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/6772/yank9qk.jpg

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/8673/yank28ld.jpg

Rudy.

JimCaravello
12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Rudy and Jim - just as a clarification to Rudy's post, the armbands were not worn all year and it is possible to find 85 jerseys with no armband and no evidence of one being removed. Sheehy did not pass away until late July or early August I believe. Nice pics Rudy! Jim Caravello

Vintagedeputy
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the info and great pics. My jersey is a home jersey with the Sheehy armband and Wilson size 44 tag. The collar tagging follows the same format but the script is a slightly different style, or font perhaps. Do you have any pics of home jerseys from that year and also, what size is the Pasqua jersey pictured from 86?

Robert Sanders
12-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Great photos of great jerseys! Since the topic is mid-1980s Yankees tagging I have a question about a Yankees home jersey I picked up about three or four years ago.

The tagging in the cowl is a simple '86 2' in exactly the same font as in the posted photos above. However, the tagging material is much whiter and newer looking than the rest of the well-worn jersey, is only large enough to contain the '86 2', and and has been placed on top of an area where a longer tag obviously once sat.

Looking at Yankee uniform number records, prior to 1986 the number on my jersey was last worn in 1983. I should also add that there does not appear to be any number change on the jersey.

What I was wondering is whether during that era the Yankees held on to some of their old jerseys for a while and recycled them, or whether they simply sent all their old jerseys down to the minors?

Thanks in advance!

Robert

kingjammy24
12-19-2005, 05:40 PM
VintageDeputy

here are a couple pics of tagging from 85 Yankees home jerseys.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/535/yank3gr.jpg

The Pasqua (86) in the previous pic is a size 44.

Rudy.

Vintagedeputy
12-19-2005, 10:46 PM
The tagging matches my jersey and the Pasqua uni I have is also a 44...thanks!