PDA

View Full Version : 1992 Christian Laettner Team USA in Goldin Auctions

CollectGU
03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
The Laettner USA uniform up forbidding in Goldin has been given an A10 by MEARS but under Provenance on their LOA, it lists n/a. I was always under the impression that post 1987 jerseys could not receive a higher grade than A5 from MEARS without supporting provenance origins. They gave it a base grade of 10?

http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=2883&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=24&seo=1992-Christian-Laettner-Team-USA-Complete-Game-Worn-Olympics-Uniform%2c-Jersey%2c-Shorts%2c-Shooting-Shirt#

From MEARS:
Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.

KGoldin
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
The Laettner USA uniform up forbidding in Goldin has been given an A10 by MEARS but under Provenance on their LOA, it lists n/a. I was always under the impression that post 1987 jerseys could not receive a higher grade than A5 from MEARS without supporting provenance origins. They gave it a base grade of 10?

http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=2883&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=24&seo=1992-Christian-Laettner-Team-USA-Complete-Game-Worn-Olympics-Uniform%2c-Jersey%2c-Shorts%2c-Shooting-Shirt#

From MEARS:
Post-1987 Jersey's: The highest grade a post-1987 jersey can obtain without team or player documentation, or verifiable provenance, or a combination of known distinct player specific traits is an A5.

Although i have an auction ending in 2 weeks and have been very busy promoting a certain $3mil+ trading card, i wanted to take a second and reply.
I like all of you never know what i am going to get back from MEARS. I sent in a Bradley jersey with provenance and a letter from Bradley, and it came back an 8. I sent in a Payton jersey with a letter from an NFL player , a receipt from the 1980s, and an article with the consignor being handed the jersey years ago from the NFL player as a game worn Payton jersey....it came back an A5...lack of use...and I ended up not running the item as a result.
The Laettner ensamble came back an A-10. I can only imagine it is based on the part of the clause that was ignored by the poster regarding player characteristics, as well as the fact it was not just a jersey, but the complete ensemble head to ankle. I would think these questions on grades on not only this item, but any item is best directed towards the grader, be is MEARS, or PSA/DNA, or TAUBE, etc. and i find they are all pretty responsive to phone calls and email.

plinvestments
03-22-2013, 12:44 PM

From MEARS:

It was probably photo matched.

CollectGU
03-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Although i have an auction ending in 2 weeks and have been very busy promoting a certain $3mil+ trading card, i wanted to take a second and reply.

The Laettner ensame came back an A-10. I can only imagine it is based on the part of the clause that was ignored by the poster regarding player characteristics, as well as the fact it was not just a jersey, but the complete ensemble head to ankle. I would think these questions on grades on not only this item, but any item is best directed towards the grader, be is MEARS, or PSA/DNA, or TAUBE, etc. and i find they are all pretty responsive to phone calls and email.

Ken,

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to respond. I will direct this inquiry to MEARS. BTW, I did not ignore player characteristics as alluded as this jersey has no unique player charasteristics, customizations, etc that would cause it to be graded higher. I appreciate the fact that you responded. Good luck with the auction.

Dave