PDA

View Full Version : Gene Autry 1982 Angels jersey

RJB44
03-22-2013, 09:57 PM
I was doing some jersey research a few days ago and came across a photo of Jackie Autry, wife of long time Angels owner Gene Autry, wearing what appeared to be an 80s era Angels jersey with the #26. The jersey looked very much like an actual game worn/issued jersey. I then remembered seeing some time ago in the 1985 Angels yearbook a photo of Don Baylor giving Gene Autry a team jersey at an on field ceremony. The accompanying caption stated that on October 3, 1982 the Angels formally retired uniform number #26 in his honor. (the team considered him the 26th man on their roster).

I wonder if that jersey that Jackie was waring in the photo (taken at 2002 World Series) was in fact the same jersey given to Gene on that October day back in 1982? I think that its a strong possibility. The close-up of Jackie shows that the V-neck cut and stitching is identical to the Wilson jerseys of that period.

Having a actual team jersey personalized with the team owner's name is probably something Jackie would have kept. I wonder if we will ever see this jersey pop-up on an auction site..... perhaps some day :)