PDA

View Full Version : 84-85 Ripken Bat Stay away

jclear118
03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
There is a 1984-85 Cal Ripken Bat listed on eBay. It is a game issue at best. Please stay away if you have ambitions of owning a true gamer.

yanks12025
03-24-2013, 09:05 AM
The seller is a member here.

ChrisCavalier
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
There is a 1984-85 Cal Ripken Bat listed on eBay. It is a game issue at best. Please stay away if you have ambitions of owning a true gamer.
Hello Joseph,

Here is the forum rule about posting about items where a member believes there is an issue with an item being sold:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, the poster should clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, we recommend that the poster questioning an item attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item. In addition, while this forum is designed to help educate collectors, we will not allow comments that accuse entities in the hobby of participating in any form of criminal wrong-doing. Any posts suggesting criminal wrong-doing should be brought to the attention of the moderators immediately.

Can you please provide the rationale for why you believe there is an issue with bat. Also, please note the part of the rule that asks you to contact the seller as well.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

jclear118
03-24-2013, 10:27 AM
That is fine, I just wanted to put it out there that the bat has bogus use. And if said person is a member, then they should be held to a higher level scrutiny when selling or trading items given their inherently broader knowledge about them.

To further my warning... It pretty much has no use but all those cleat marks??? Kind of odd. Further more Cal would have broken his ankle putting those marks on the bat. Frankly it looks like someone laid a pair of cleats down in the front yard and went Braveheart on them for a minute or two.

It's sad because the bat is currently at 400 and may fetch more when in reality it is a 100-200 bat when taking the "cleat" marks and lack of use into consideration. It is a nice looking bat, I just saying it is portrayed improperly. The guy apparently bought it for 300 didn't like it and is trying to cover the loss with a somewhat well written item description that sounds like something worth fighting over, and cross reference to another bat that isn't even remotely in the same league.

jclear118
03-24-2013, 02:30 PM
This should be the proverbial nail in the coffin on this issue. I believe by addressing the issue on the most pertinent front, eBay, I have done the right thing. I am new to this forum but not the hobby. I do not know the seller on this forum and time dictates otherwise as far as being able to contact them here. I believe my actions are in the best interest of the hobby and I make no accusations as to any criminal intent as I again do not know the seller, or their intentions. This picture of an LOR per John Taube should be used as reference for any future posts regarding this matter. Note: See picture on LOR with "cleat" marks. Also provided is a picture from my personal game used library for cross reference to bat in question.Note: see scuff and "cleat" mark.

short84
03-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Was it the one that sold for $450?

jclear118
03-24-2013, 05:33 PM
That would be it!

plinvestments
03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
I also don't believe ripken ordered any p72 bats during that labeling period. Seems like a promo bat.

ironmanfan
03-25-2013, 06:58 AM
I also don't believe ripken ordered any p72 bats during that labeling period. Seems like a promo bat.

While I'll keep my opinion of the bat in question to myself, I just wanted to point out that Cal did order plenty of model P72 bats during this labeling period.

Nnunnari
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Guys, I have been more than open and honest about this bat. I originally bought the bat on ebay. I was disappointed when the bat arrived that it was 34.5" and did not show as much use as I was hoping for. I decided to re-sell the bat. I gave a very thorough description of the bat to every potential buyer who messaged me.
I even refunded money twice to previous winning bidders.
A well known forum member on here can attest to the fact that I immediately contacted him after he paid me because I wanted to confirm that he was comfortable with the bat. When he said he wasn't, I refunded his money and still paid the eBay & Paypal fees.
I listed the bat on ebay with no reserve so somebody out there could buy a Ripken model bat for a fraction of the price if they wanted to.

Jclear, I do not know who you are but if you have any other concerns feel free to contact me directly.

plinvestments
03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
While I'll keep my opinion of the bat in question to myself, I just wanted to point out that Cal did order plenty of model P72 bats during this labeling period.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I see only 1 order of 18 P72s in 1984 and they were 35" and 33 oz. The seller's bat seems a tad short and heavy.