PDA

View Full Version : Mastro in court, expected to plead guilty

Eric
04-09-2013, 10:05 AM
From Michael O'Keeffe's twitter page

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 7m
Sports memorabilia king Bill Mastro expected to plead guilty to fraud in Chicago federal court this morning

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 4m
Judge rejected Mastro plea deal when disgraced auctioneer appeared in court on February, told prosecutor to file papers explaining agreement

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 3m
Plea deal calls for Mastro to serve no more than 30 months in prison. Feds hope it deters future fraud in the hobby.

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 1m
If judge OKs plea deal, Mastro will have to acknowledge he engaged in shill bidding, trimmed Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner card

Best,
Eric
@ericstangel on twitter

Eric
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 29s
Sports memorabilia king Bill Mastro just arrived in Chicago federal court, didn't bring a priest this time around.

Eric
04-09-2013, 10:15 AM
NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 22s
Strike that! Mastro's priest just arrived. #fraud

Eric
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 5m
Mastro, expected to plead guilty to fraud, doesn't look as terrified as he did at Feb. hearing. He seems more relaxed this time around.

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 3m
The priest actually looks more nervous than Mastro. #fraud

Eric
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 13m
Sports memorabilia king Bill Mastro and associates were indicted on fraud charges last July

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 11m
Mastro, awaiting start of hearing, says hi, shakes hands w FBI agent who led investigation into his auction house. Who knew they were pals ?

NYDN Sports I-Team ‏@NYDNSportsITeam 8m
Mastro's brother Randy--former NYC deputy mayor--is also attending today's hearing. #fraud

Eric
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Here we go again: Judge rejects Mastro plea deal, says he doesn't want to be locked into proposed 30 months or less prison sentence.

Mastro will return to court on May 14. #fraud

cliffjmp33
04-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Honus Wagner Card Case Plea Deal Rejected Again by U.S. Judge

By Andrew Harris - Apr 9, 2013

A federal judge rejected for the second time a plea agreement between U.S. prosecutors and William Mastro, the former head of a sports memorabilia auction house charged with mail fraud for allegedly using shill bidders to drive up sale prices and trimming a rare Honus Wagner baseball card to increase its value.

“I’m not sure what I’m getting into, so I’m not getting into it,” U.S. District Judge Ronald A. Guzman in Chicago (http://topics.bloomberg.com/chicago/) told lawyers for both sides at a hearing today, as he refused to accept an agreement under which Mastro entered a guilty plea in exchange for a prison sentence of no more than 30 months.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/2013-04-09/honus-wagner-card-case-plea-deal-rejected-again-by-u-s-judge.html

ChuckFoPrez
04-09-2013, 06:21 PM
“I’m not sure what I’m getting into, so I’m not getting into it,”

Get into it as in what?

Hmmm...

PALEHOSE1
04-10-2013, 08:54 PM
His fraud continues as he brings his priest with him.

The court should grab his assets, sell them and repay the victims of his shill bidding and other frauds...

trsent
04-15-2013, 02:20 AM
His fraud continues as he brings his priest with him.

The court should grab his assets, sell them and repay the victims of his shill bidding and other frauds...

How do you know he has any assets?

cohibasmoker
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
How do you know he has any assets?

Assets? Of course he has no assets - that's why he's in court willing to plea guilty to Federal Charges - he's homeless and needed a place to stay for 30 Months.

Jim

trsent
04-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Assets? Of course he has no assets - that's why he's in court willing to plea guilty to Federal Charges - he's homeless and needed a place to stay for 30 Months.

Jim

Are you serious? Is he living on the streets or with family? How do you know he is homeless? I have no idea, but I haven't heard this before.

cohibasmoker
04-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Are you serious? Is he living on the streets or with family? How do you know he is homeless? I have no idea, but I haven't heard this before.

Whether he's homeless or not, he'll have a place to stay for the next 30 Months, compliments of the Feds.

trsent
04-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Jim

Whether he's homeless or not, he'll have a place to stay for the next 30 Months, compliments of the Feds.

So you said he was homeless, now you aren't sure? I'm confused.

cohibasmoker
04-19-2013, 06:30 AM
So you said he was homeless, now you aren't sure? I'm confused.

Sorry you're confused.

trsent
04-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Sorry you're confused.

I understand the guy is pleading guilty to crimes, but you stated he was homeless, and I didn't know if you were making that up or knew something about it. Maybe you shouldn't comment on something unless you have proof to back up your comment.

I'm confused because you made a stupid statement that I asked you if it was true and your didn't answer it, you made light of the situation.

So, if you don't know if someone is homeless, why do you comment that they are homeless? Seems pretty stupid to say someone is homeless with nothing to back that comment up. Homeless is a pretty bad situation for someone to be and I haven't heard that he is homeless except for your comment that you couldn't back up.

earlywynnfan
04-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Joel, as I read it -- and I'm very often wrong -- he was making a joke with the whole homeless thing. I believe the point you were supposed to take from him was the "he'll have a new place to stay for 30 months."

Ken

trsent
04-21-2013, 01:04 AM
Joel, as I read it -- and I'm very often wrong -- he was making a joke with the whole homeless thing. I believe the point you were supposed to take from him was the "he'll have a new place to stay for 30 months."

Ken

Oh. It was a joke? He was joking that the guy was homeless?

Hahaha. I get it.

I hear Eric is working on a new project. We should send him this joke for his new show!

cohibasmoker
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
I understand the guy is pleading guilty to crimes, but you stated he was homeless, and I didn't know if you were making that up or knew something about it. Maybe you shouldn't comment on something unless you have proof to back up your comment.

I'm confused because you made a stupid statement that I asked you if it was true and your didn't answer it, you made light of the situation.

So, if you don't know if someone is homeless, why do you comment that they are homeless? Seems pretty stupid to say someone is homeless with nothing to back that comment up. Homeless is a pretty bad situation for someone to be and I haven't heard that he is homeless except for your comment that you couldn't back up.

I didn't respond to your comments because I wanted to wait until this thread dropped off to page 2. I figured if I waited, my comments would bump it back up to page 1. Unfortunately, my plan didn't pan out but that's OK because as it worked out, you’re comments kept the thread going and near the top of page 1. We're leaving for vacation tomorrow for 17 days and I didn't want to leave without responding.

Joel, as for proof confirming the fact that Bill is homeless, that “proof” will come from Bill Mastro himself and will probably be disclosed in his PSR.

How can I be so sure? I'm pretty sure so, how about a friendly wager? The bet will be a simple one, "after Bill Mastro pleads guilty, Bill Mastro will report that he owns NOTHING – he is car-less, friend-less, penny-less, boat-less, asset-less and home-less. He’ll add in his PSR that he is unable to meet any financial obligation either now or in the future". Now, the wager, loser donates $100.00 via certified check to the "Wounded Warriors Project" and the certified check must be posted on the forum.

In closing, it may take some time but in the end, forum members will decide who made the “stupid” statements and who didn’t. I certainly will be keeping an eye on the progress of the case and I’m sure fairly sure I can count on other forum members to keep us informed as to the status of Mr. Mastro’s new digs at club Fed as well as Mr. Mastro’s financial and/or “homeless” situation.

Jim

trsent
04-22-2013, 11:58 PM
I didn't respond to your comments because I wanted to wait until this thread dropped off to page 2. I figured if I waited, my comments would bump it back up to page 1. Unfortunately, my plan didn't pan out but that's OK because as it worked out, you’re comments kept the thread going and near the top of page 1. We're leaving for vacation tomorrow for 17 days and I didn't want to leave without responding.

Joel, as for proof confirming the fact that Bill is homeless, that “proof” will come from Bill Mastro himself and will probably be disclosed in his PSR.

How can I be so sure? I'm pretty sure so, how about a friendly wager? The bet will be a simple one, "after Bill Mastro pleads guilty, Bill Mastro will report that he owns NOTHING – he is car-less, friend-less, penny-less, boat-less, asset-less and home-less. He’ll add in his PSR that he is unable to meet any financial obligation either now or in the future". Now, the wager, loser donates $100.00 via certified check to the "Wounded Warriors Project" and the certified check must be posted on the forum.

In closing, it may take some time but in the end, forum members will decide who made the “stupid” statements and who didn’t. I certainly will be keeping an eye on the progress of the case and I’m sure fairly sure I can count on other forum members to keep us informed as to the status of Mr. Mastro’s new digs at club Fed as well as Mr. Mastro’s financial and/or “homeless” situation.

Jim

I just thought you knew something I didn't. I have no clue, haven't seen Bill in a few years and I didn't know if he has a roof or if he was living on the streets as you made me think he was.

cohibasmoker
05-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Eric - anything new on this case?

Eric
05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
From Hauls Of Shame on twitter.

‏@haulsofshame 14 May
Bill Mastro guilty plea hearing postponed til May 31 #thehobby

jdr3
05-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Jim,

Very well said. "Certain people" don't need your help to look stupid.

-Jim