PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: Negative Cano Appearance

Eric
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Yankees second baseman signs, then splits

By PETER ABRAHAM
pabraham@thejournalnews.com (pabraham@thejournalnews.com)
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: December 12, 2005)

SCARSDALE — The Yankees don't often put their faith in an untested 22-year-old player. But Robinson Cano was thrust into the lineup last May and charged with helping change the look of a team that was unexpectedly too old and slow to contend.
The second baseman responded well, hitting .297 with 14 homers and 62 RBI as the Yankees finished atop the AL East. Cano was the youngest Yankee regular since 1996, when 22-year-old Derek Jeter became the shortstop.
General manager Brian Cashman has since declared Cano to be an all-but-untouchable chip in the trade market.
But is that faith misplaced?
Cano didn't look — or act — much like the fresh-faced rookie who captivated the Bronx during an appearance at the Last Licks sports memorabilia and ice cream shop yesterday.
Sporting a beard and wearing a black knit cap pulled down near his eyes, he rushed through hundreds of autographs that eager fans paid $50 each for. At one point, Cano was on his cell phone, ignoring fans who wanted a handshake or picture taken. But the autographs kept flowing.
Officials from Last Licks promised during the week that Cano would be available for a brief interview. But Cano twice ignored requests to speak to a reporter.
A husky man who identified himself as Antonio Belize sat next to Cano during his appearance, chugging cans of Red Bull while wearing wraparound Armani sunglasses despite being indoors. He told Cano not to grant the interview, then rushed him outside to a waiting SUV with a driver inside. The vehicle then sped off, its tires churning up the snow.
Meanwhile, several youngsters who had just arrived at the store hoping to meet Cano were left with nothing. That is unless they wanted to purchase the Clay Bellinger bat that was on sale.
Cano did leave behind plenty of signed merchandise, including game-used — that is to say, dirty — bases.
Justin Reid, an 11-year-old from Suffern, was in line in time to meet Cano.
"I saw him on television during spring training and I knew he'd be a good player," said Justin, who was accompanied by his father, Virgil. "I like the way he plays. He's my favorite player now, even more than Jeter."
David and Joy Chalfin of Scarsdale snapped photos of their children Ali, 10, and Harry, 7, getting autographs.
"I'm glad they don't want to trade him," said Harry, clutching his signed photo. "I like the rookies." There is only one problem with rookies, as Cano showed yesterday. They grow up.

Swoboda4
12-15-2005, 11:58 PM
The Cano signing sounds like another young/immature player who is not much older than the kids getting the autograph. Being on the phone for a length of time, while signing is being a jerk. But then again,not recognizing the fan base that supports you not having to work for a living knows no age. I saw Tom Seaver get out of a taxi in front of the Press gate at Shea and take two briefcases off his friend so his hands would be occupied and not have to sign autographs. He promply gave the briefcase back once "safely" inside the Stadium.

2000mvpfan
12-16-2005, 01:03 AM
And yet,N.L. Rookie of the Year Ryan Howard was the absolute opposite at a show in Hammonton,NJ 2 Sundays ago.Talked to people,thanked people,took photos,etc.And I heard Cano was just as bad at an appearance in a BC Sports store in Woodbridge,NJ this fall.Word has it he was so disinterested at some point that he went from signing his legible "Rob Cano" autograph to signing his ballpark "R"line,"C"line auto,which isn't worth paying for.A future Willie Mays in the making....

dasubman1138
12-17-2005, 12:52 AM
And yet,N.L. Rookie of the Year Ryan Howard was the absolute opposite at a show in Hammonton,NJ 2 Sundays ago.Talked to people,thanked people,took photos,etc.And I heard Cano was just as bad at an appearance in a BC Sports store in Woodbridge,NJ this fall.Word has it he was so disinterested at some point that he went from signing his legible "Rob Cano" autograph to signing his ballpark "R"line,"C"line auto,which isn't worth paying for.A future Willie Mays in the making....

Listen buddy you, have no clue what you are talking about. Cano and Mays are the best signers in the whole world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2000mvpfan
12-17-2005, 02:08 AM
....yeah,and Rickey Henderson too!!!