PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Leland's research mistake

brocious
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
In the description for lot 588, Don Mueller's uni, Lelands states: "It's light use combined with the fact that this does not have the National League anniversary patch on the sleeve leads us to believe that this jersey was used in the 1951 World Series." Even my 12 year old grandson knows that Don Mueller broke his ankle sliding into third base just before Bobby Thomson hit his homerun. They mention it every time they discuss that most famous of innings. This Mueller uni couldn't have been used in 1951 World Series because Mueller didn't play in the 1951 World Series because of the broken ankle. Putting aside the embarressment that Leland's didn't bother to look that up, there's a bigger problem. Since it wasn't used in the World Series and it does'nt have the arm patch, what is it? I wrote Mike Heffner about this and did not receive a response.

ISUbirdjersey
11-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Technically, the jersey could still have been used even if he didn't play. If he wore it, then it was used.

brocious
11-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Technically, the jersey could still have been used even if he didn't play. If he wore it, then it was used.

You're suggesting Mueller was sitting on the bench with his leg in a cast, his leggings and pants leg pulled up over those bulky '50s casts? You do understand that the break came virtually the day before the World Series started. I think a much more logical explanation is that the uni's "light use" suggests it was never worn at all. I'm sure it was ordered already so they might have given it to Mueller anyway or somebody took it home as a souvenir. Of course, unless you can find a pic of Mueller sitting on the bench with the cast, we'll never know.

nate
11-10-2006, 05:41 PM
I believe the playoff game was on Oct 3rd with the Giants wearing their home jerseys. The first game of the World Series was played the following day with the Giants wearing their away jerseys without the patch. Maybe he did wear this while being on the bench or it's his game issued jersey for the series. Either way it's a nice piece.

Mike Heffner
11-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Good evening to all,

I have been out of the office for the last few days and have not checked my work email. My automated "Out of office" response is on. I do understand the concern on this uniform and it was my mistake for not mentioning the fact that Mueller did not play in the World Series as I wrote the copy for this item. I do know that this was his uniform and was, at the very least, intended for him-there are no problems with any other details concerning it. I will create an addendum for this lot when I get back in the office on Monday. Thank you for the correction.

As many of you have probably noticed, the December 14th and 15th auction is now open for bidding online and the catalogs will be shipped within the next two weeks.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me or Keith Vari at our office (516-409-9700) and we will be happy to try to help. We will get back to you, it may just take a little time as this is a large auction and there are sure to be plenty of questions at the start.

Mike Heffner

ChrisCavalier
11-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Good evening to all,

I have been out of the office for the last few days and have not checked my work email. My automated "Out of office" response is on. I do understand the concern on this uniform and it was my mistake for not mentioning the fact that Mueller did not play in the World Series as I wrote the copy for this item. I do know that this was his uniform and was, at the very least, intended for him-there are no problems with any other details concerning it. I will create an addendum for this lot when I get back in the office on Monday. Thank you for the correction.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please feel free to call me or Keith Vari at our office (516-409-9700) and we will be happy to try to help. We will get back to you, it may just take a little time as this is a large auction and there are sure to be plenty of questions at the start.
Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to us. We really appreciate your candor and willingness to respond.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

flaco1801
11-10-2006, 11:51 PM
hey chris i think your thanking the wrong person, believe it goes to brocios? jeff

ChrisCavalier
11-13-2006, 11:53 AM
hey chris i think your thanking the wrong person, believe it goes to brocios? jeff
Hello Jeff,

You are absolutely correct. I am sorry if I implied brocious doesn't also deserve to be thanked. I think this is a great example of a forum member providing valuable information and the seller responding in a responsible fashion.

Thank you brocious for sharing your knowledge to help others make an informed decision.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

rose14
11-13-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure where they got their information on the stats for Lot #658, the Albert Pujols Memhis Minor League jersey. I show that he only played in 3 games while there hitting safely in 3 of 14 at bats with 2 rbi's and one stolen base.