PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted - Eagles

cohibasmoker
04-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Hello sports fans. If you guys have some time, I'd like to ask for opinions on a jersey I acquired a few Months ago. It appears to be a circa mid-1940's to mid 1950's Eagles jersey. During that era, the Eagles did not wear sleeves numbers on their jerseys. The #2 font appears different than in the 1949 team photo but I did find a game photo showing the #2 font on my jersey. The jersey is missing manufacturers tags so dating and identifying the jersey has been a challenge.

To begin, I placed an authentic game worn Eagles jersey (#73) side by side with the jersey in question (#27). There are two (2) differences that I can see - the #73 had satin-like numbers while the #27 jersey has felt numbers. The other difference are the sleeve stripes. The stripes on the #73 are woven into the jersey while on the #27 jersey, the stripes are heavy heat-sealed. The numbers are about the same height and thickness, the sleeve-stripes are about the same thickness and are located in about the same location and both the numbers and sleeves stripes are almost an exact match in the Eagles distinct Kelly Green shade.

My thoughts are, could it be a modern-day throwback or did the Eagles have the jersey made for a reunion? A reunion could be a possibility but a retail jersey with the #27? During the span I've outlined, just 2 players wore the number #27 and neither were a player of distinction. If a throwback jersey was made for the retail market, would it not be a jersey of a star player like VanBrocklin, MacDonald. Bednarick or another star player?

In closing, any help would be appreciated,

Jim