Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onlyalbert
    • Jan 2011

Game used Pujols bat.......NOT

What is wrong with Paragon and Taube? Paragon says he "won two MVP awards in 04 and 08" and Taube gives this bat a 8.5 grade with that red tar on the middle of the handle? I don't get it. Show me another Pujols bat with red tar mid-barrel....and I'll show you a bat used by someone else. C'mon John.....no rubberstamping.
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Re: Game used Pujols bat.......NOT

Couldn't the tar color just be from the photo?

Comment

• onlyalbert
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by yanks12025
      Couldn't the tar color just be from the photo?
      Doubt it. This red colored tar is used by other players on the team...then Berkman and Freese among others. I have a 2011 Berkman playoff bat with the same red tar. If you look at Pujols bats over the years he has favored the caramel colored tar, and you would see it mid-bat up to the center brand. Never in the middle of the handle. This area is always very clean. You can find several examples on here.

Comment

• hairyangryfella
        Banned
        • May 2012

I asked them about their Antoine Walker "2000-01" Celtics jersey -

"I'm just wondering how do you know which year it was worn? The 2000-01 season the Celtics had a black band on the left shoulder which is not present on this jersey. The following year they had what I believe was a 9/11 logo on the right."

I haven't had any response and it has been over a week. I guess the band could have been removed, but it would be nice to have had a reply. Thus I will not be going anywhere near their stuff...

Comment

• rj_lucas
          • Apr 2009

IN MY OPINION, this bat is a joke and proves once again that, for the right price, you can get anything 'authenticated'.

Look at any photo of Albert's tar pattern in 2011. Any photo.

I do not understand how a publicly traded company and its representatives get away with this. At some point, this will end badly for them and their shareholders. It's just a matter of time, IN MY OPINION.

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

Are you guys referring to the photo of just the handle? Does it look like two different bats to anyone, because comparing just the handle photo to the photo of the whole bat, it doesn't look like the tar shows on the full bat photo. But they may have turned the bat in the photo.

Comment

• rj_lucas
              • Apr 2009

Yes, a different angle. And neither bears any resemblance to a Pujols game used bat from 2011 or any other year.

Comment

• onlyalbert
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rj_lucas
                IN MY OPINION, this bat is a joke and proves once again that, for the right price, you can get anything 'authenticated'.

Look at any photo of Albert's tar pattern in 2011. Any photo.

I do not understand how a publicly traded company and its representatives get away with this. At some point, this will end badly for them and their shareholders. It's just a matter of time, IN MY OPINION.
                Rick,what do you mean by publicly traded co? Taube?

Comment

• onlyalbert
                  • Jan 2011

08,09,10, and 2 2011 playoff bats in order top to bottom. No red tar on these.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• rj_lucas
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by onlyalbert
                    Rick,what do you mean by publicly traded co? Taube?
                    PSA/DNA is a division of Collectors Universe, a NASDAQ company.

Imagine a scenario where a material portion of a publicly traded company's revenues were proven, by virtue of legal action and/or federal investigation, to have resulted from gross negligence (which carries a specific legal definition under tort law).

No mystery really as to the ultimate outcome of such a scenario -- plenty of examples to refer to over the last decade or so.

I'm not suggesting that PSA/DNA or Collector's Universe pose such a scenario. That would be up to an investigator to determine...

Comment

• onlyalbert
                      • Jan 2011

I'm sure Nick N will see this post. He got stuck with a PSA/DNA approved non-Pujols bat from GF, and it is a glaring example of a bad bat. And I've seen several other Pujols bats that have been auth. by PSA that are obviously incorrect. Taube has handled literally dozens of Pujols bats in his day. He knows better! I guess it just takes that one person to call them out in the right way.

Comment

• rdeversole
                        • Dec 2009

I guess it just takes that one person to call them out in the right way.
                        Speaking of calling him out the right way, has anybody actually contacted John about this issue?
                        - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
                        Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

08,09,10, and 2 2011 playoff bats in order top to bottom. No red tar on these.
                          nice bats. is the gold ring to the left of the label an indicator for older Pujol Marucci bats?
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com
                          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• rj_lucas
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by rdeversole
                            Speaking of calling him out the right way, has anybody actually contacted John about this issue?
                            I exchanged emails two years ago with John regarding his seeming inability to correctly authenticate an Albert Pujols game used bat.

I provided a detailed breakdown of usage characteristics, including photographs.

Comment

• Nnunnari
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2006

Jason knows how I feel about this topic.
                              When I have time, I'll try to go into a more detailed explanation of how flawed this whole authenticating/grading system is. Ultimately, John is not the problem, the problem is the public taking John's opinion as fact.
                              There is entirely too much emphasis and credibility awarded to one man's opinion on a given bat.

Comment

Working...