PDA

View Full Version : Silent Auction Question...

toddhead
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I am attending a minor league game this weekend and they are doing a “Shirt Off Their Back” promotion where they will be having a silent auction for jerseys worn during the game(they will be signed as well). I believe the jerseys are going to be a special “Make A Wish” jersey. Being a new collector into this area I have a couple of questions I am hoping can get answered here:

1. If there are no “bonafide superstars” in the making on the team how much should I expect the jerseys to go for? There are a couple of solid prospects on the team, but on average what should I expect? Does anyone have experience with this?

2. A these single game issued/worn jerseys considered to be more desirable than the regular jerseys?

They also offer game used signed cracked bats for $15 each, so that is going to be my fallback in case you guys come at me with crazy prices for these jerseys.

ironmanfan
04-18-2013, 01:51 PM
I would estimate that the average jersey would fall in the $75-$100 range

mikey68
04-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Hey Todd, they used to have those shirts-off-our-back auctions here at Mississippi Braves games and I've won a couple of them. The starting bid usually was $75 and if no one is crazy for a certain player, you should be able to get it for that. I've seen good deals (I got Freddie Freeman's jersey in which he hit his first AA HR for $125.) and I've seen folks pay $300-$500 for players, who were never gonna make it to the big leagues, just because they liked the guy. If they do the auction, where you are, like the ones here, you want to be standing by the auction sheet right before it ends. Folks will walk up at the last second and outbid you by a few bucks, and that's frustrating.

Dodgers101
04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Out here in the California league they have host families where a player stays with a family. I remember a silent auction that I was bidding in and the lady that the player was staying with came over to me and said. " I don't care how high you bid I will bid higher" and most of the shirts went for crazy money for that reason. I did end up with a nobody player in the end. Not sure if they have host families out there like that but if they do that could become a problem and drive prices crazy high.

mikey68
04-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Out here in the California league they have host families where a player stays with a family. I remember a silent auction that I was bidding in and the lady that the player was staying with came over to me and said. " I don't care how high you bid I will bid higher" and most of the shirts went for crazy money for that reason. I did end up with a nobody player in the end. Not sure if they have host families out there like that but if they do that could become a problem and drive prices crazy high.
Hey Dodgers101, that's the exact same thing I saw here in Mississippi. LOL!

commando
04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
In my experience, Minor League jerseys of this nature are hard to resell for a profit. I LOVE the old-school way of thinking at these auctions, where people who LIKE the players themselves are willing to bid up prices because the jerseys have personal meaning. To these friends and fans, the price is well worth it.

"Type" collectors may have an interest in buying an example of the jersey style if it a rare one. Below are pics of a one-game, signed Durham Bulls jersey I sold for around $60 a while back. I'm not sure how much the original auction winner paid for it at the Durham silent auction, but as far as most speculators are concerned, there are better ways to invest.

mikey68
04-18-2013, 03:55 PM
In my experience, Minor League jerseys of this nature are hard to resell for a profit. I LOVE the old-school way of thinking at these auctions, where people who LIKE the players themselves are willing to bid up prices because the jerseys have personal meaning. To these friends and fans, the price is well worth it.

"Type" collectors may have an interest in buying an example of the jersey style if it a rare one. Below are pics of a one-game, signed Durham Bulls jersey I sold for around $60 a while back. I'm not sure how much the original auction winner paid for it at the Durham silent auction, but as far as most speculators are concerned, there are better ways to invest.
Hey Commando, yeah, you're totally right about the folks who LIKE the players at the minor league level and might overpay. I was just speaking to possible future resale value. Just last week, I'm pretty sure I overpaid for a jersey because I liked the player and his positive attitude, not that he's gonna be the next superstar.

commando
04-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey Commando, yeah, you're totally right about the folks who LIKE the players at the minor league level and might overpay. I was just speaking to possible future resale value. Just last week, I'm pretty sure I overpaid for a jersey because I liked the player and his positive attitude, not that he's gonna be the next superstar.

I'm with you there... I too always try to look at both sides of the coin (especially since I'm a collector of some things, and a seller of others!)

toddhead
04-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured they would go in that range. I would have like to been here a couple years back when Ian Desmond played here. Don't know why, but he has become my favorite National. Cutter Dykstra is here and I would like to have his because that kid plays with heart... got to love that.

There are host families, so I am guessing there may be some high bids based on what you all have said.

I will be sure to let you know what they go for.

solarlottry
04-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Toddhead-I remember when you were collecting 49er game worn shirts. In fact I think I picked up a Brent Jones practice shirt from you. If you have any other 49er items please let me know or just drop me an email to say hello.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

toddhead
04-19-2013, 05:52 AM
Paul... that was my Jones. I kind of fell out of collecting for a bit, but I've caught the bug again.

I have no Niner gear left, but if I find any you will be the first to know.

solarlottry
04-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Todd-thanks much!!!

I offer a finders fee of up to 500$ for information that leads to a sale!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

G1X
04-22-2013, 12:14 AM
toddhead,

Hope you won the Cutter Dykstra jersey. I ended up with Michael Taylor and A.J. Cole, but they gave me the wrong number on the Cole jersey :confused: (long story).

Below are photos of Ian Desmond's road and home jerseys from 2007 when he wore #35 at Potomac. Chris Marrero wore #35 in 2008 - the reason for Marrero's name on the back of the home jersey (can see stitch marks of a previous plate). Potomac does not put the player's names on the back of their road jerseys, and they tend to use their jerseys for several seasons like many other Minor League teams. If you noticed the road jerseys they had for sale in the team store, those were worn in 2010 and 2011 (regardless of what team employees will claim).

Minor League shirts can get a bit expensive at times in these types of auctions, but if you like the player, what the heck! I thought that the "Make a Wish" jerseys they wore on Sunday looked really cool, and the money went to a great cause.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

toddhead
04-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Mark,

I didn't end up with a jersey. I happened by a thrift shop on Saturday and found a Redskins gamer sitting on a rack, so I blew my allotment of jersey funds on that... obviously my memorabilia fund needs a little work...:(

I did pick up a custom made Lastings Milledge bat that was used by Jesus Flores and a Mark Teahen bat that was used and signed by Jason Martinson.

It was a great game though. My daughters had a blast.

If you are ever interested in selling that Desmond please let me know!