PDA

View Full Version : Tri Star show in San francisco

prichmond
04-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I had a chance to go to the Tri Star show today. Not very well organized. I had a will call ticket for an auto. i ended up at three differant locations trying to get my ticket. No one seemed to know where i could find it.
I had a gamed used matt cain jersey that was already autographed. I had written out what i wanted written on the jersey. Keep in mind no more than five words could be written. I asked for "game used" to be written. Tri Star rep with Cain told him to said to sign it G/U. Cain was great. Very nice. Tri Star not so much

sportsnbikes
04-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Geez they're still in business?!

trsent
04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
I had a chance to go to the Tri Star show today. Not very well organized. I had a will call ticket for an auto. i ended up at three differant locations trying to get my ticket. No one seemed to know where i could find it.
I had a gamed used matt cain jersey that was already autographed. I had written out what i wanted written on the jersey. Keep in mind no more than five words could be written. I asked for "game used" to be written. Tri Star rep with Cain told him to said to sign it G/U. Cain was great. Very nice. Tri Star not so much

Word on the streets is the Cow Palace is a dump.

ChrisCavalier
04-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Word on the streets is the Cow Palace is a dump.
Joel,

This is why you shouldn't believe everything you hear "on the streets." The Cow Palace is not a dump. As for the show, I personally think, given the advent of the internet, people don't go to shows as much anymore to buy merchandise but to interact with people. This includes meeting players in person for autographs (something that hard to simulate online) as well as connecting with other people in the hobby in person.

I actually set up at this show primarily to interact with my friends on the west coast that I have known for many years. However, I have also been surprised by how many people I have met in person who came to the show primarily to interact with others, swap stories, and simply have a good time talking about the industry.

Btw, I had corresponded with Pete online a number of times but I had the privilege of meeting him in person at the show. While I am sorry to hear about his experience with trying to get his autograph done, I did get to see his jersey in person and was very impressed with the item as well as the autograph added by Cain.

I certainly understand the frustrations of going to these events at times but I am thankful for the opportunity to be meeting people from our hobby in person. That said, I would be very careful with the rumors, word on the streets, etc that you hear. Listening to them can sometimes deprive you of great experiences if you let them. In fact, I'm looking forward to going today and seeing who shows up.

-Chris

prichmond
04-21-2013, 09:54 AM
I would say charming not a dump. I would put it on par with the venue for the National in Cleveland.

Hudge history with the Cow Palace. Warriors and Sharks both played several seasons there. Harlem Globe Trotters. Rolling Stones, and nearly every major band of the 70's and lets not forget the Grand National Rodeo

I would agree with Chris. Saw old freinds and was able to meet folks I had corrosponded with on line.

Its always fun to buy a couple of over priced boxes and rip them when you get home to see what you get. My wife loves the wrappers that sit on the floor for two days.

ChrisCavalier
04-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Its always fun to buy a couple of over priced boxes and rip them when you get home to see what you get. My wife loves the wrappers that sit on the floor for two days.
Very funny!

Marrdar
04-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Chris -

I did not know you were at the show - I will come by today to say hello.

Agreed on meeting other collectors, I saw familiar faces, and met other people in line and discussed our collections. I am getting a"K" sign autographed by the 2012 team and saw at least 3 other people getting their K signs autographed at the show.

I did get Hunter Pence to sign a jersey and he added "game used".

The Beatles played Cow Palace in 1964 and 1965, and the 1964 Republican National Convention was held there. Currently a minor league hockey team plays there.

trsent
04-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I would say charming not a dump. I would put it on par with the venue for the National in Cleveland.

The venue with a ferris wheel in the middle? That place was great in the 1990's but they haven't done anything to it since the 1980's and now I can live without it.

solarlottry
04-21-2013, 01:22 PM
I have fond memories of the Cow Palace! I attended a number of sports card as well as other shows there years ago and enjoyed all of them. The place may be a little dated but not a dump. It is not the Moscone Center but so what. I was lucky enough to attend shows there when Dick Dobbins had a booth every year and purchased a number of 49er and Giants gamers from him. If I still lived in SF I would be at the show today!

Always buying 49er gamers.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

dre707
04-21-2013, 01:37 PM
I went and i thought it would be bigger i had fun though meeting sergio romo and having him sign my jersey i will post pics later, but the authentication line was crazy long and slow!!!!

ChrisCavalier
04-22-2013, 01:05 AM
Marlon and Michael,

Great seeing you both at the show. Btw, Marlon I really enjoyed watching your stuff for about 3 hours while you got your autographs :-) On a serious note, nice items you had there.

-Chris

dre707
04-22-2013, 04:17 AM
I have a question there was a booth that had all the framed jerseys and had a deal for $149 to have my autographed sergio romo giants jersey framed nicely, now my question is.was that a good deal? Are there better deals online?? Let me know as i really want my jersey framed so i can display it

xpress34
04-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Geez they're still in business?!

FWIW - and this is my personal opinion - Outside of UDA, TRI-STAR and MOUNTED MEMORIES are the next two companies I would trust on Autos as the three of them do IN PERSON Auto Authentication on all of their items - meaning they have a rep there watching each item get signed. No 3rd party authenticating and opinions.

All the best -

Smitty