PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tampa Bay Rays Fans: 2008 Edwin Jackson WS Jersey

Frink
04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Folks,

There is an auction of a supposed game-used/worn Edwin Jackson jersey from the 2008 World Series on eBay currently. You can see it here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400466606043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I have contacted the seller because there was no mention or visual of a certificate of authenticity or an MLB Authentication hologram or any of that. They responded that the Rays "do not provide any papers or holograms for their jerseys".

Can someone confirm or deny this? It has the correct wash code, but that's about all I have to go on, other than their word, that this is legitimate. In addition the size is 50, which I believe is a non-standard size, but I don't think that will give me a lot, will it?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd love to pick this up, if it's legit.

jwal23
04-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Not sure if they provide paperwork for jerseys bought at the Trop, but I have owned a GU Longo jersey that came with a letter from the Rays stating it's game use from the 2010 season and most recently a few items I have bought have come with MLB authentication holograms

TwinLakesPark
04-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I own several Rays jerseys from 2008, including World Series ones.

The Rays were not involved in the MLB Authentication program in 2008, so it should not have a hologram on it. They (the Rays) also do not provide any letters or certificates with their jerseys.

Six months ago I purchased several World Series jerseys directly from the Rays, and this one was on the list (they were asking $400). I passed on the jersey as I as I was not interested in it at that price. It is my understanding that at the Fan Fest this year, they brought out the rack of World Series jerseys and blew them out and cheap prices.

Without actually holding the jersey in my hand, the story on the eBay listing is correct and true.

TwinLakesPark
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I have owned a GU Longo jersey that came with a letter from the Rays stating it's game use from the 2010 season

This is an accurate and true statement, but to my knowledge, there is only one person (Jake) that has ever been issued a letter on Rays letterhead and he did own this Longo jersey.

Frink
04-22-2013, 03:23 PM

The Rays were not involved in the MLB Authentication program in 2008, so it should not have a hologram on it. They (the Rays) also do not provide any letters or certificates with their jerseys.

Six months ago I purchased several World Series jerseys directly from the Rays, and this one was on the list (they were asking $400). I passed on the jersey as I as I was not interested in it at that price. It is my understanding that at the Fan Fest this year, they brought out the rack of World Series jerseys and blew them out and cheap prices.

Without actually holding the jersey in my hand, the story on the eBay listing is correct and true.

Thanks much! I appreciate the information. I believe I will pursue it.

momen55
04-22-2013, 04:26 PM

i have jerseys from 2006 that are authenticated and some others have letters.

TwinLakesPark
04-22-2013, 07:41 PM
i have jerseys from 2006 that are authenticated and some others have letters.

Please share the authentication numbers? To clarify, you have a Rays game worn jersey that was MLB Authenticated pre-2010?

joe27
04-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Ive purchased directly from the team and have never gotten anything with them. I bought a 2008 Garza and was told they didn't have their jerseys authenticated back then. However after talking to Stephen he said they are now issuing COA's for jerseys and I managed to get one for mine. I know they also had world series jerseys at fan fest as well as a lot of other jerseys and it seems the only authenticated ones there were the throwbacks.

momen55
04-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Please share the authentication numbers? To clarify, you have a Rays game worn jersey that was MLB Authenticated pre-2010?

i would but my stuff is stored while overseas.

momen55
04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
being that i don't have my stuff, i recall everything that i have bought through auctions has numbers. all the items i have bought at the trop by walking in does not.

Frink
04-23-2013, 09:32 AM
Ive purchased directly from the team and have never gotten anything with them. I bought a 2008 Garza and was told they didn't have their jerseys authenticated back then. However after talking to Stephen he said they are now issuing COA's for jerseys and I managed to get one for mine. I know they also had world series jerseys at fan fest as well as a lot of other jerseys and it seems the only authenticated ones there were the throwbacks.

You were able to get a COA retroactively? How were they able to verify the jersey you had was the one they sold to you?

joe27
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
You were able to get a COA retroactively? How were they able to verify the jersey you had was the one they sold to you?

I still have the store tags on it and a copy of my receipt.

sportscrazy13
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM

My 2 Longo rookie jerseys, both MLB auth LH160825 & BB921657, also have an early MLB auth '08 bat of his.

TwinLakesPark
04-24-2013, 05:07 PM
My 2 Longo rookie jerseys, both MLB auth LH160825 & BB921657, also have an early MLB auth '08 bat of his.

Fascinating. Did you buy them from the Rays? Did they come from Evan's "guy", where they also are signed by him with the Evan hologram?

Please let me know if you ever want to sell those jerseys (wesholden at gmail dot com).

sportscrazy13
04-24-2013, 08:16 PM
They came from his guy, has his hologram too. Had no luck getting a WS jersey of his back then.