PDA

View Full Version : SCP Auctions- Maris Jersey

finest_collectibles
04-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Just looking through SCP Auctions current auctions and came across the 1958 Roger Maris K.C. A's jersey. Question for forum members, does the back story seem a little far fetched?
I find it hard to believe that Maris wore this jersey for for a full season in 1959 and then the A's recycled the jersey in the minors for the next 5 seasons. I realize that was common practice back then, but Maris went on to win the MVP in 1960 and 1961. With him winning 2 consecutive MVP's and breaking Ruth's homerun record, NO ONE noticed this jersey was worn by Maris until 1965 when Fingers was issued it and Fingers finally realized that it was Maris' jersey several years later when the name Maris took on a new meaning. Really, you mean after winning an MVP and then a second consecutive MVP, and breaking Ruths record, Maris wasn't a recognizable name until after 1965?
Just seems a little far fetched, anybody agree?

yanks12025
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Teams or players didn't care about collecting historic stuff back then. So yeah I could see the jersey seeing recycled for that many years. Also it could have sat in the equipment room for years before being used again.

finest_collectibles
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I realize that this was common practice, just find it odd that in light of Maris being a household name, that no one who wore it or handled it over the next 5 years including Fingers realized it was Maris's jersey. I mean his name is stitched into the collar, its not like it was simply tagged and then someone realized who's jersey it was. And Fingers didn't know who Maris was in 1965, he realized it several years later when "Maris's name took on a new meaning". Just saying

onlyalbert
04-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I realize that this was common practice, just find it odd that in light of Maris being a household name, that no one who wore it or handled it over the next 5 years including Fingers realized it was Maris's jersey. I mean his name is stitched into the collar, its not like it was simply tagged and then someone realized who's jersey it was. And Fingers didn't know who Maris was in 1965, he realized it several years later when "Maris's name took on a new meaning". Just saying

Seems very possible to me. Fingers was probably just excited to be in the show and didn't care whose name was on it. Then after time forgot about it being there. But if I were to bid I would so some homework on anyone else named Maris during that time.

sox83cubs84
04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Keep in mind, Maris didn't do anything spectacular in The Show until he was with the Yankees in 1960, and was named AL MVP.

Dave Miedema

greg678
04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
:confused: This is a dumb story made up by SCP and/or Rollie. So Rollie just took his uniform home!? because it was his rookie jersey and he had no clue who this "Maris" guy was when he stole the uniform. This was back in the day when players couldn't just take the jerseys as they pleased and no player wanted their jersey anyway?!
****Better story if Rollie just said "I noticed "Maris" on the uniform and said "Holy cow, I know this MVP / 61 homer guy!, so I stole the uniform from spring training" Better story and more honest.***** 6 figure honest!
;)

solarlottry
04-23-2013, 08:41 PM
Frank it is great to see you posting on the forum once again!!!

I am sure you saw both the Rice and the Young shirts sell in the last two Goldin Auctions. Those two shirts were the only ones I did not buy out of all the 1994 shirts you had. When are the remainder of the 49er items going to show up at auction as I still want to add a SB ball!

Hope you are well and that dad is doing OK!

Drop me an email when you have a chance.

The Maris story does sound a bit strange as after 1960 and 61 one would think that his jersey would be something of interest regardless of the lack of a game used hobby. I guess maybe this is why truely vintage items are so hard to come by and thus quite pricey.

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I looked at the jersey on th website, and, FWIW, all photos seem to indicate that the jersey stands a strong chance of being genuine.

Dave Miedema

commando
04-24-2013, 09:12 PM
The two networks that broadcast Super Bowl I in 1967 never bothered to save a copy of the game for posterity. Most other television footage from the 1960s is also lost forever, including tons of Tonight Shows with Johnny Carson. The video tapes these programs were originally recorded on were simply reused again for something else.

The point here is to try and understand the mentality of how things were back then. IF you had the foresight to be a collector back then, you'd be rich today. How hard would it have been to pay $20 for a case of 1965 Topps baseball wax boxes, and just stash it away?

We know that most of the vintage items that still survive today have a line of provenance that is usually one of three things -- a lucky fan got it as a souvenir, the player himself kept it, or a team employee snagged it. Otherwise, any game-used equipment would be used for all it was worth, then ultimately end up in the dumpster.

This mentality was still around in the mid-1970s. Many of you will remember that I bought several mid-70s Santurce Crabbers uniforms from a former player last year. All of the jerseys featured the number 30 and higher. The reason for this is because the team owner donated all the lower numbers to a local team, where they were used even more.... Jerseys worn by Tony Perez, Don Baylor, Sandy Alomar and Dave Concepcion are gone forever.