PDA

View Full Version : G.U. Moment for the Baltimore Orioles

allstarsplus
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
Most teams in the MLB have had a Game Used program. I think the Detroit Tigers probably have the most sophisticated program.

Working with the Orioles last year we established a game used baseball and bat program but it was nowhere near what the Tigers were doing.

The Orioles had never had a hologram'd game used jersey "plan" until now. The difference between this program and the Tigers is we plan on making this very exclusive and mostly on a pre-reserved basis.

It was a good week to start it as the team had 2 walk-offs with a Wieters Grand Slam and a Markakis walk-off single plus Chris Davis setting the MLB record for most RBIs to start a season as well as popular players like youngster Manny Machado and All Star Adam Jones.

When we pulled 1 jersey from each what we discovered was tremendous use on these jerseys and much more than what they would've gotten from washes this season and Spring Training. We're fairly certain the jerseys were also worn last season which is significant because that would make the Manny Machado jersey potentially his Rookie jersey.

Here's the Wieters Grand Slam jersey that was marked WO for Walk-off and taken off the field last night and hologram'd.

Oh yah, we are now collecting HR balls that land in the bullpen areas and Centerfield and bounce back on the field.

allstarsplus
04-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Please don't post any questions about "For sale" or "Pricing". Many of you have inquired about an Orioles jersey program and HR Balls, etc.

If you have those types of questions, just reach me outside of the GUU. Thanks.

Klattsy
04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi Andrew,

Out of curiosity, when you say hologramed, you mean the MLB holos? Not your own in house ones?

Great work btw.

csu398
04-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Orioles 2012 jerseys have the 20th anniversary patch, which is larger than the Earl Weaver patch used this year. Did you observe any residue of the patch on the 2013 jerseys? It's quite surprising that those jerseys are carried over from 2012, but I guess there's no better explanation if they all show heavy use...:rolleyes:

When we pulled 1 jersey from each what we discovered was tremendous use on these jerseys and much more than what they would've gotten from washes this season and Spring Training. We're fairly certain the jerseys were also worn last season which is significant because that would make the Manny Machado jersey potentially his Rookie jersey.

coxfan
04-26-2013, 07:20 AM
It's very interesting to see how one club's setting up its program, and thanks for that insight. I've had the impression from my occasional surveying of MLB authentication that details such as how many items are authenticated, and how detailed the descriptions are, vary widely from one MLB city to another. If each club sets up (and controls) its own program, and the local authenticators go along with it, that would explain much of the variability.

That's interesting, in view of the fact that MLB authentication presents itself as a central, unified program.

allstarsplus
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Andrew,

Out of curiosity, when you say hologramed, you mean the MLB holos? Not your own in house ones?

Great work btw.

Oh yes, MLB holograms!

allstarsplus
04-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Orioles 2012 jerseys have the 20th anniversary patch, which is larger than the Earl Weaver patch used this year. Did you observe any residue of the patch on the 2013 jerseys? It's quite surprising that those jerseys are carried over from 2012, but I guess there's no better explanation if they all show heavy use...:rolleyes:

That's a great point. We did on a couple of them.

allstarsplus
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
It's very interesting to see how one club's setting up its program, and thanks for that insight. I've had the impression from my occasional surveying of MLB authentication that details such as how many items are authenticated, and how detailed the descriptions are, vary widely from one MLB city to another. If each club sets up (and controls) its own program, and the local authenticators go along with it, that would explain much of the variability.

That's interesting, in view of the fact that MLB authentication presents itself as a central, unified program.

The authenticators are all MLB so authentications should be very standardized to the MLB procedures. They are assigned to the team and rotate.

I'm a collector also so I was surprised that when I bought Red Sox balls last year that it gave no description on the baseballs other than "Game Used" and the date but keep in mind, that may be how they wanted it done there. I really have no other insight into that.

All you have to do is watch one of the MLB videos of an authenticator to see how busy they are to then understand that sometimes they can't get as detailed as you may want it.

coxfan
04-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the comments, Andrew. My impression is that clubs specify what they want and the authenticators comply. Based on my own surveys, I think marketing and a sense of the historic are the governing factors on what the club requests from the authenticator.

I've seen games in which only 6 balls were authenticated; up to as many as 55 from an important game with each described for its last use. I recently bought a ball from Washington's win over the Braves on 5-26-12. It appeared the club wanted only balls either pitched by Strasburg or to Harper which were then thrown out of play.; plus the game's final out and a Harper HR retrieved by security. Each of these balls (about 12 total) was authenticated with its last use in the game.

allstarsplus
04-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the comments, Andrew. My impression is that clubs specify what they want and the authenticators comply. Based on my own surveys, I think marketing and a sense of the historic are the governing factors on what the club requests from the authenticator.

I've seen games in which only 6 balls were authenticated; up to as many as 55 from an important game with each described for its last use. I recently bought a ball from Washington's win over the Braves on 5-26-12. It appeared the club wanted only balls either pitched by Strasburg or to Harper which were then thrown out of play.; plus the game's final out and a Harper HR retrieved by security. Each of these balls (about 12 total) was authenticated with its last use in the game.

That's interesting based on what you have seen and it's very complicated since there is a request list for each game and the game would have to cooperate to get that ball someone wants as the umpire decides generally what balls come out of play unless it is a historic moment like a 1st hit or 3,000th hit or some other special moment.

Then also consider that the 3rd out balls are usually tossed into the crowd by the last player that touched it.

We've been fortunate to get what I consider to be the ultimate "The Home Run ball" and then next is the Strikeout ball. We already have requests for games that are months away!

On the other hand since the beginning of last season, we still have not received a ball thrown by the Orioles closer Jim Johnson. Still waiting!

coxfan
04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
My observations are based mainly on Rangers' home games, including ones I've attended on family visits in the DFW area. I occasionally will make it a point to watch for authentication procedures during parts of certain games, to get a sampling of what they're doing. I've noticed the following:

a) For Ranger's playoff games, the home-plate umpire has clearly been in cahoots with someone who's specified balls, or calls for them some way during the game. I've seen cases where the ump's called time for the obvious purpose of taking a ball out of play, even when it's in the pitcher's hands, to send it to the authenticator next to the home dugout for authentication. I've even caught this sequence on TV a couple of times, with the authenticator being glimpsed on camera as he gets the ball from the batboy.

b) For regular-season Ranger games I've attended and watched, it usually is more haphazard. The authenticator's in the same spot by the home dugout, in a camera well. The batboy will bring him balls they retrieve (usually short fouls or balls thrown out the usual way by the ump.) Then I've watched the batboy confer briefly with the authenticator, who just authenticates whatever it happens to be.

c) These procedures change over time. In April 2007, the Rangers' authenticator stayed in the stands, then came to the batboy and a security person right after the game. ( My wife and I stayed after the game a couple of times on an April 2007 visit to observe this.) He would collect a set number of balls (typically 6) from the batboy's "used" bucket and walk toward the clubhouse with them. The balls were just authenticated as "game-used" (no specifics) then. The Rangers started specifying the ball's actual use around 2008. Then the authenticator apparently moved to the camera well and worked during the game.

d) The Braves apparently started more specific authenticating of balls and bats in 2012 when they opened their new stadium store. Before then, g-u balls were hard to find from the Braves, and bats in their CNN store were typically not hologrammed.

So these observations lead me to think that while MLB authentication has general rules, the specific procedures vary a lot among places and times. Sometimes the home-plate ump has instructions (eg special games) but sometimes it's just whatever is thrown out of play the usual way.

5toolplayer
04-30-2013, 02:42 PM
manny.....crack a bat already!

Thanks for all your help Andrew

dcgreg25
05-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I just wanted to thank Andrew and Brett for all their help. I just purchased a Nick Markakis Game Used jersey from them to donate to a charity auction at my son's school. Andrew and Brett could not have been more helpful up to and including meeting me down at the shop today (Saturday) during an off day to complete the purchase so I could have it in time to get it in the auction. Thanks for the top shelf service and the great item! While I am not an Oriole's collector their program is top notch. Thanks!

allstarsplus
05-15-2013, 08:16 PM
I just wanted to thank Andrew and Brett for all their help. I just purchased a Nick Markakis Game Used jersey from them to donate to a charity auction at my son's school. Andrew and Brett could not have been more helpful up to and including meeting me down at the shop today (Saturday) during an off day to complete the purchase so I could have it in time to get it in the auction. Thanks for the top shelf service and the great item! While I am not an Oriole's collector their program is top notch. Thanks!

Greg, you deserve the credit with all your philanthropy. We were happy to help you out and hope the jersey sells for a lot of money.