PDA

View Full Version : Help-Pics of 1875 Harvard Football Ticket

pietraynor
11-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Need a little help from fellow forum members..anyone know where I can find a pic of an 1875 Harvard Football ticket..I know it is a stretch, but thought I'd ask..also seeking any info available on an 1870 team from Illinois named "Excelsiors", possibly Chicago area..thanks in advance, Jay

Vintagedeputy
11-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Found on another site:

Albert Goodwill Spalding (Byron, Illinois September 2, 1850 – September 9, 1915 in Point Loma, California) was a professional baseball player and famous sporting goods manufacturer founder.

Having played baseball throughout his youth, Spalding first played competitively with the Rockford Pioneers, a youth team, whom he joined in 1865. After pitching his team to a 26-2 victory over a local men's amateur team (the Mercantiles), he was approached by another, the Forest Citys, for whom he played for two years. In the autumn of 1867 he accepted a $40 per week contract, nominally as a clerk, but really to play professionally for the Chicago Excelsiors, a not uncommon arrangement contrary to the rules of the time.

pietraynor
11-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Appreciate the info. I picked up an old small style ledger at a local auction which had estate items from Chicago area..On the front of the ledger reads "Excelsior B.B.C." but inside is written "Organized April 28, 1870" so the dates don't really match..While sev. players names are mentioned, no Spalding (couldn't get that lucky!)..Expenses for the team include bats, balls, bases, pins, book, etc. No box scores style info, just generic where players paid dues, then the expense info. Nice old item though..I thought all the pre-1900 stuff had dried up long ago, this was a nice surprise! Thanks in advance for any additional info. Jay.