PDA

View Full Version : Steve Misturini on PEOPLE'S COURT

Eric
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
On Friday April 26, 2013, a case involving a game used Tom Brady jersey was on The People's Court. Steve Misturini vs. Jeff Ciffolillo.

There is a mention of MEARS, the FBI and yes, the "Game Used Forum"

See the link here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8BVzCpbtzM&feature=youtu.be

Eric

captainhaddock
05-01-2013, 08:52 PM
That is awesome! Thanks for posting.

rufusandherschel
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Ditto !

CollectGU
05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Wow, that was awesome. Thnaks for sharing

Mulligans
05-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Yea....thanks!!!:rolleyes:

joelsabi
05-01-2013, 09:56 PM
thanks for the post and the laughs that came with it.

I liked Jeff Ciffolillo's reaction even though he lost. That was priceless to him. I guess copies of emails and copys of GUU threads are admissable in court.

I enjoyed the judge calling a person who keeps their jerseys in a closet as hoarders or asking about the smell of the office where the jerseys are kept too. I think its a common perception of non collectors as people in the courtroom seem to laughing together with the judge on her observations.

dolphanz
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM

You did a good thing Mulligan!

GameUsedGR61
05-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Sorry to ask this cuz I am still kinda new but are these people from the GUU board?

HawaiiSportsNut
05-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Sorry to ask this cuz I am still kinda new but are these people from the GUU board?

I was wondering the same thing.

mickeymbz
05-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Mulligan,, is that you vs Misturini?

ChrisCavalier
05-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Jeff Ciffolillo is a member on the Game Used Universe forum. I checked the GUU database and Steve Misturini is not registered on this site.

-Chris

Wrigley2010
05-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Jeff Ciffolillo is a member on the Game Used Universe forum. I checked the GUU database and Steve Misturini is not registered on this site.

-Chris

Maybe there's a John Turnow registered here instead... Thanks for providing this link Eric.

ChrisCavalier
05-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Maybe there's a John Turnow registered here instead.
Nope. No John Turnow registered with GUU either.

-Chris

Mulligans
05-02-2013, 04:39 AM
Mulligan,, is that you vs Misturini?

Unfortunately it is.......

42itus
05-02-2013, 05:18 AM
I hope you realize what a great service you are providing for the GU community. I think it's so easy to get duped in this hobby. It's so easy to believe someone if you want it to be true.

Samets
05-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Unfortunately it is.......

Thank you for taking this to the bitter end.

Mulligans
05-02-2013, 06:35 AM
I hoped it to be the end, but unfortunately the Jersey was just listed at a Large Auction House....thankfully, they pulled it without question.

Dewey2007
05-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Did you notify Judge Milian that this particular jersey was listed with a large auction house? Not sure what she can do but she said she would be keeping an eye on him.

I hoped it to be the end, but unfortunately the Jersey was just listed at a Large Auction House....thankfully, they pulled it without question.

mickeymbz
05-02-2013, 10:40 AM
jeff,, not defending that cretin in any way but wasnt the very low price of 3750 for a brady shirt a red flag?

ChrisCavalier
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
That is very interesting. Didn't Misturini say to the judge that he was going to keep the jersey in his 'personal collection'?

Also, Jeff, I just wanted to confirm. Was I hearing that Misturini did refund you the $3,500 you paid for the jersey? If so, were you holding onto the jersey because you no longer wanted to see it in circulation?

Just want to make sure I understood exactly what was happening.

Thanks,
Chris

BrianK
05-02-2013, 12:05 PM
The judge was awesome!
But my favorite line was from the woman in the audience who wanted a Derrick Rose jersey. "He's hot."

captainhaddock
05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Steve's courtroom verdict reminds me a bit of the USFL's $1 (trebled to $3) judgment against the NFL in the 1980s.

Mulligans
05-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Did you notify Judge Milian that this particular jersey was listed with a large auction house? Not sure what she can do but she said she would be keeping an eye on him. I thought about it, but quickly learned Peoples Court has very little to do with the law and its a lot more about entertainment. I don't really think she would care.

jeff,, not defending that cretin in any way but wasnt the very low price of 3750 for a brady shirt a red flag?
Yes, it was a little low and it did raise a flag to some degree, but IMO, the Jersey was a perfect photo-match to the Jersey that was worn in the Jets game. Also, this case goes back several years. This was before any Team Issued Brady Jerseys had hit the Market. A typical Brady without provenance sold at Auction between 3-6K and then it was your task to try an photo-match it. Back then, I purchased a Brady on NFL Auctions for $6500.

Jeff, I just wanted to confirm. Was I hearing that Misturini did refund you the $3,500 you paid for the jersey? If so, were you holding onto the jersey because you no longer wanted to see it in circulation? Yes, Absolutely....The live case was cut quite a bit and some of the content was lost. There were 2 reasons....1. A warrant was issued for Misturini's arrest. The Crime was now Fraud and it was no longer just about an unhappy customer and the need to return the goods for a full refund. The court could have cared less about returning the Jersey at that time. There was no directive from anyone that I needed to return the Jersey......2. This Guy Jerked my chain for 2 years while still denying that he had ever heard of a Steve Misturini and then all of a sudden he called me on the day of the Trial saying that he is SM and he would really like to "put this behind us??" Should I have returned the Jersey.....Absolutely.......Did I care??......Definitely not. He would just sell it to someone else.

trsent
05-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Obviously Mulligans had to give the jersey back, but to hold out on it and make Misturini sue him, and then agree to go on television, is worth the price of being sued and losing the case.

Misturini was the true loser in this case. He came away looking like a con-artist which was Mulligans whole point. Why this guy hasn't been looked into by a higher power of the law is beyond belief. Hopefully this television appearance is the straw that makes action happen.

Reading the forum for years this guy's name has been tied to all sorts of questionable activities. Multiple eBay user ID's? False identities. Just plain scary that this hasn't been properly investigated.

Mulligans
05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Another tidbit of information that I was not aware of before Peoples Court Contacted me.

Did you know that the Plaintiff is the one who requests the case to be heard? So I thought.....Are you kidding me why would this guy set himself up for humiliation in front of friends, family, business associates, etc??

Then I learned that Peoples Court pays the plaintiff whether they win or lose their case. In other words, S.M. could not walk away from the courthouse with less than $3700 plus all of his travel expenses......And I'm sure that's why he filed the case.

What I also learned right after the case was that this was a very rare occurrence that the Judge refused the plaintiff any financial compensation.

Bridgeside1
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Sitting back watching hockey and during the intermission this put a big smile on my face. Justice is served!

NEFAN
05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
One of the better threads I've seen.

yankees506
05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I think Steve wants a mulligan after that! Epic fail

Eric
05-14-2013, 04:00 PM
The NY Daily News just posted a piece in their Iteam blog on this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/2013/05/steve-misturini-attempts-to-sell-bogus-tom-brady-jersey-after-appearance-on-the-people

MAY 13, 2013 8:57 PM
Steve Misturini attempts to sell bogus Tom Brady jersey after appearance on 'The People's Court'
BY MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
Steve Misturini suffered an embarrassing rebuke on “The People’s Court” when Judge Marilyn Milian chastised him for selling a bogus Tom Brady jersey – but that didn’t stop the Long Island sports memorabilia dealer from attempting to sell the quarterback’s shirt soon after the daytime television show was taped earlier this year.

“Misturini probably does more bad deals than people realize because he uses tons of aliases,” says collector Steve Ciffolillo.

Ciffolillo purchased the Brady jersey several years ago after seeing it listed on Craigslist. The seller, he said was a dealer named “John Turneau” – a Misturini alias. Ciffolillo learned soon after he bought the jersey that it was a forgery, and he says he spent several years trying to get his money back.

Misturini ultimately refunded Ciffolillo the $3,500 the collector paid for the Patriots’ shirt. He sued Ciffolillo after the collector did not return the jersey, and the case wound up in front of TV’s Judge Marilyn Milian and “The People’s Court.” Misturini told Milian he wanted his money back, plus an additional $200 he spent to have the jersey authenticated.

Ciffolillo told Milian that MEARS, the authentication service, told him the nameplate and tags on the Brady jersey had been tampered with and that signs that the New England star had worn the shirt in an NFL game were “contrived.” The company also told him that Misturini was known as a forger.

Misturini told the Daily News he does not know why MEARS says he is a forger and claimed that he has never knowingly sold bad memorabilia.

Ciffolillo said he did not immediately return the jersey because law-enforcement officials in Canton, Mass., were conducting an investigation into Misturini and the jersey was considered evidence. He told the Daily News that an FBI investigator – the same agent whose work led to the indictment of disgraced memorabilia king Bill Mastro – had also questioned him about Misturini’s activities.

Law-enforcement agencies no longer consider the jersey as evidence, Ciffolillo told Milian, and she ordered him to return the jersey. Then she turned to Misturini with a disgusted look on her face. “Now I want you to listen very closely to me,” she said. “I’m watching you.”

“This jersey will remain in my personal collection,” Misturini said before Milian cut him off.

“Don’t talk. I don’t want to hear from you,” the TV judge said before she warned him not to attempt to sell the jersey again.

But sources tell the Daily News that Misturini attempted to consign the jersey to Vintage Sports Authentics, the Minnesota company run by Steve Jensen. Jensen led out of the 2011 National Sports Collectors Convention in handcuffs for allegedly selling – you guessed it – bogus jerseys. He has pleaded guilty but to fraud has not yet been sentenced.

The sources say Jensen rejected the jersey when Jensen learned it was a fake. Misturini says he did not attempt to sell the jersey.

Mulligans
05-15-2013, 07:37 AM
I'm not a blogger, nor do I think I have ever read one, but personally, I found this a tough read? I thought the opening paragraph was best and said it all.....

Steve Misturini suffered an embarrassing rebuke on “The People’s Court” when Judge Marilyn Milian chastised him for selling a bogus Tom Brady jersey – but that didn’t stop the Long Island sports memorabilia dealer from attempting to sell the quarterback’s shirt soon after the daytime television show was taped earlier this year.

I don't know Steve Jensen, and I understand that he had some issues, but I think he should be the Good Guy in THIS article!

Bottom line, Steve Misturini tried to resell a forged Jersey at a major auction house after the court forbid him to do so. Misturini has denied this claim and he says he still has it in his possession (even though the Misturini jersey still sits at VSA). I assume that VSA had a contract to sell the Jersey with a guy named "Steve Misturini". Steve Jensen pulled the Jersey after learning it was fake and should be congratulated for not allowing it back into the hobby.

trsent
05-15-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not a blogger, nor do I think I have ever read one, but personally, I found this a tough read? I thought the opening paragraph was best and said it all.....

I don't know Steve Jensen, and I understand that he had some issues, but I think he should be the Good Guy in THIS article!

Bottom line, Steve Misturini tried to resell a forged Jersey at a major auction house after the court forbid him to do so. Misturini has denied this claim and he says he still has it in his possession (even though the Misturini jersey still sits at VSA). I assume that VSA had a contract to sell the Jersey with a guy named "Steve Misturini". Steve Jensen pulled the Jersey after learning it was fake and should be congratulated for not allowing it back into the hobby.

Yes, Steve Jensen did the right thing now that there is a microscope under everything he does but your quote that no court forbid Steve Misturini to resell the jersey is not really accurate - A television judge told him not to resell the jersey. That is much different than a court telling him not to resell the jersey.

Hopefully this Misturini guy with his long track record gets to see a real judge somewhere down the road.

flaco1801
05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
I think the judge should have marked that shirt as a forgery, if in fact she really believed it...then the shirt could have been sold as forged evidence in a tv court room show,,,,

commando
05-15-2013, 11:09 AM
Yes, Steve Jensen did the right thing now that there is a microscope under everything he does but your quote that no court forbid Steve Misturini to resell the jersey is not really accurate - A television judge told him not to resell the jersey. That is much different than a court telling him not to resell the jersey.

Hopefully this Misturini guy with his long track record gets to see a real judge somewhere down the road.

Joel, you're right about the judge part, but from what I understand the decision from the show is basically a legally-binding arbitration. How the arbitration can legally affect future acts (such as selling the jersey) is a little unclear... Maybe one of our lawyer brothers are familiar with this scenario.

trsent
05-15-2013, 04:55 PM
Joel, you're right about the judge part, but from what I understand the decision from the show is basically a legally-binding arbitration. How the arbitration can legally affect future acts (such as selling the jersey) is a little unclear... Maybe one of our lawyer brothers are familiar with this scenario.

The judge fancies up for the television, but after the appearance she doesn't follow-up on her threats. It's nice that there is proof of Misturini hearing the concerns about the jersey from MEARS on television and then allegedly attempting to sell it after the television appearance as game used elsewhere.

The parties agree to accept the judges decision before the show is filmed, but after that any decisions must be fought again in court if contracts are not kept.

I just can't believe this guy agreed to appear knowing his operation and history could be exposed and then he really allegedly sent it to Jensen to try to sell after the fact? Guy has no scruples?

UGA-1
05-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Mulligans, when you have some time can you please email me? Your PM box is full and I would like to ask you a question.
Thanks!

ChiBosox05
05-20-2013, 11:29 PM
It's good that people like Misturini are exposed. Cases are put together very slolwly, but when the feds come get ready to spend serve some federal time. Thanks for sharing the video with us.

Any way I can get a list of his other aliases/seller names? I purchase sports memorabilia from ebay from time to time.

joelsabi
05-22-2013, 04:19 AM
update

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/iteam/2013/05/steve-misturini-attempts-to-sell-bogus-tom-brady-jersey-after-appearance-on-the-people

Mulligans
05-23-2013, 09:32 AM
The Story didn't cover the fact that Misturini presented the Brady Jersey to VSA with a Forged letter from Rodney Harrison saying that it was given to him by his good friend Tom Brady.......When it sold the first time, it was accompanied by a letter saying that it originated from Wes Welker.......This guy just doesn't give up??

Not surprising that he has a well documented past on this forum for also forging Autographs.

jppopma
05-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I can't get over the delusional world that he lives in where he actually believes all of his lies. Nice to see him show his colors on national TV.

BTW; Mulligans should have countersued for the eval fees from Mears.

Mulligans
05-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Thankfully, I did....The Criminal Court made him pay Mears Fees.

Anabolicollege17
05-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Lol whats next for this guy. Given to me (Jim Kelly) after a bills pats game by my good friend Tom Brady lol.

This really happened and Tom got in trouble for it from Kraft. It was a white MHK gamer used right after the Pats at Bills.

So wouldn't be surprised if this is used next by Mr.Sleeze I mean Steve