PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Collecting Makes The Tabloids in Dispute over Kobe Bryant Items

dcgreg25
05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
It seems game used collecting has hit the tabloids. See below from TMZ.com.

Kobe Bryant is in a tooth-and-nail fight with his mother over some priceless basketball memorabilia, including his 1998 All Star ring.

Seems Kobe's mom, Pamela Bryant, made a deal with Goldin Auctions to sell hoards of Kobe's bball swag, including a 2000 All Star game signed ball, game and practice jerseys from his days at Lower Merion High School, a Lakers jacket and shorts, trophies, his varsity high school letters and lots of other stuff.

According to a lawsuit ... obtained by TMZ ... the auction house gave Pamela a $450,000 advance, which she says will be used immediately to buy a new home. According to the lawsuit, Pamela told the auction house Kobe gave her all the stuff outright 5 years ago.

But Kobe has beef, claiming he's the owner of the stuff and he's trying to block the auction.

So a fearful Goldin Auctions has gone to court, naming Kobe as the defendant and asking a judge to declare Pamela the owner of the goods.

A judge has yet to rule.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/03/kobe-bryant-mother-pamela-auction-house-lawsuit-memorabilia-lakers/#ixzz2SEmOrZYV

rdeversole
05-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Oh wow - that's certainly not a desirable situation.

Dewey2007
05-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Goldin Auctions vs Kobe Bryant...how come TMZ got the dirt on this before we did?? :)

KGoldin
05-03-2013, 09:07 AM
I cannot comment on the case, so don't ask or expect
but a more detailed story appeared here

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/20130503_Kobe_Bryant_doesn_t_want_mother_to_sell_h is_past.html

Samets
05-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Kobe should have just bid on "his" stuff and been done with this. Now the family's dirty laundry is hanging there for everyone to see...

nevrdiez34
05-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Kobe should have just bid on "his" stuff and been done with this. Now the family's dirty laundry is hanging there for everyone to see...

I couldn't disagree more. Who would spend 1-2 million dollars on their own stuff? I don't care how much money you have, not to mention that he would have to win every auction just to maintain his treasures. What he should've done is buy his mom that house instead of her selling all his items, it certainly would've been cheaper!

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 10:24 AM
I just read the article KGoldin posted.
It doesn't sound to me that she has a right to any of that stuff at all.
He left it at his mums house and she thinks she then owns it?
Even if he did give it to her she could have waited a few years till he retired and get a bit more for it.
As much as I would like an opportunity to get something rare of his they are his items and he deserves them back. I mean why would he want to part with him awards and memories? He's not broke!

kellsox
05-03-2013, 10:40 AM
My guess is that if Kobe doesn't want his stuff for sale then it won't be sold( unless there is some $ in it for him). All parties involved recognize the value and scarcity of the items.

allstarsplus
05-03-2013, 11:40 AM
This isn't the first time something like this has happened in the hobby but this has to be the largest and most prominent case.

This may also set a precedence going forward but has so many different facets to it such as gifted items and defining possession and abandonment of property.

allstarsplus
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I also think the items are now worth more given the validation that Kobe himself has given to it. It was one thing to have his mother's provenance but this takes it to a much bigger level.

MercyMe78
05-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Looks like it's on ESPN too

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9238503/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-battles-mom-nj-business-auction

dplettn
05-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Sad situation. If a settlement doesn't unwind this situation, the court is likely to determine legal rights to sell the items accurately belonged to Kobe's mother... and that Goldin now holds the cards.

I'm curious whether Kobe's mom just sprung this idea out of nowhere or whether she first asked him for money. Someone else's wealth can have a sad affect on family dynamics... and in this case a mom's character.

cliffjmp33
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Will be interesting to see how all of this does play out. I know Ken can't comment about the situation, but I appreciate him coming on here at least to acknowledge this.

Jags Fan Dan
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Here's a question that I have: If you are a true fan of Kobe Bryant, would you actually want to buy any of this stuff? As a big time Mark Brunell fan, I can say that I would feel awfully odd buying something of his that he did not want to sell in the first place. But that's just me.

Wrigley2010
05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Here's a question that I have: If you are a true fan of Kobe Bryant, would you actually want to buy any of this stuff? As a big time Mark Brunell fan, I can say that I would feel awfully odd buying something of his that he did not want to sell in the first place. But that's just me.

My thoughts exactly. It is possible for this to negatively impact the sale of these items. On another hand this is also a lot more free publicity for the items as well...

swainer
05-03-2013, 01:52 PM
My thoughts exactly. It is possible for this to negatively impact the sale of these items. On another hand this is also a lot more free publicity for the items as well...
I guess it is possible but I don't see how. Kobe collectors are gonna shell out HUGE cash for these items. Kenny's gotta be loving this free advertising! I truly hope it works out for you Ken. You're a class act and deserve it!

Peace!

John

swainer
05-03-2013, 01:57 PM
In the immortal words of Don West from the Shop at Home Network "Ohhhhh man! Who's gottem folks??? You're never going to see these again..."

Man I used to love Don and Eddie!!! I remember hearing Ken call in a few times on that show. Classic!

Sorry to hijack the thread...back to the Kobe talk!

Peace!

John

plinvestments
05-03-2013, 02:12 PM
This is an ugly situation. Kobe hasn't lived in the that house for over 15 years. He abandoned the property. It seems like the mother would have the right to sell the items with or without Kobe's permission.

trsent
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if I was making over 100 million a year I'd be sure my parents didn't have a need to sell my childhood belongings.

HawaiiSportsNut
05-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I don't know about you guys, but if I was making over 100 million a year I'd be sure my parents didn't have a need to sell my childhood belongings.

That is so true, it just doesn't make sense. There must be more to the story that we don't know.

swainer
05-03-2013, 02:49 PM

+1 Buy Mom a house and you're done. More to this story...

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I don't think he "abandoned" the belongings at all and I'm sure if she said "hey I'm gonna auction this stuff off if you don't come and get it" he would have gone and got it.

I think he is going to win this.

Sad for Goldin but I think it's best to try get the 450k back and leave it at that

emann
05-03-2013, 03:17 PM

+1

At the very least they should get a royalty off the marketing for naming him "Kobe"

BrianK
05-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I just hope Kobe doesn't pull an O.J. to get the stuff back.

dougiedshow
05-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Ken Goldin has been around the block and was CEO of a publicly held company. i do not think he would file a suit against a high profile athlete like Kobe Bryant unless he was highly confident he was going to win' The fact that Kobe Bryant was trying to stop the sale and now says he wants these items certainly not only locks in authenticity, but increases desireability and value on the items. When the auction eventually takes place i think it will be new record prices for Goldin Auctions. If Kobe wants them, he can have someone bid on them... and that might really drive prices. It is certainly all over the news, I find it very interesting.

P.S. I left a bunch of late 80s and early 90s baseball cards at my parents' house. She can certainly try to sell them... good luck mom.

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 05:28 PM
If you went to visit your parents and asked where your trophies were only to find out she sold them wouldn't you think that they weren't hers to sell but yours?

mickeymbz
05-03-2013, 05:44 PM
damn a suit against kobe!? i highly doubt he owns all his "stuff".. hes had a fued with his parents on again off again

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 06:26 PM
If you leave your wallet at a restaurant does it become property of the restaurant? This isn't a case of finders-keepers this is his stuff. Unless he gave it to his mother (which she will have to prove) than its his stuff

dougiedshow
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
If you leave your wallet at a restaurant does it become property of the restaurant? This isn't a case of finders-keepers this is his stuff. Unless he gave it to his mother (which she will have to prove) than its his stuff

You mean if you left your wallet at a restaurant for 5-15 years and chose not to go retrieve it? That would be a no brainer... this situation is a little different.

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 06:50 PM
You mean if you left your wallet at a restaurant for 5-15 years and chose not to go retrieve it? That would be a no brainer... this situation is a little different.

If that wallet had at least 1.5 million in it I would like to think I could still claim it

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 06:54 PM
From the article I read it sounds like A) he didn't give her the items B) she didn't demand he retrieve the items C) she didn't tell him she was going to get rid of the items

I'm just saying if it was me I would be pissed and expect to get everything back.
I think this happened to Michael Jackson before he died. And he successfully sued Juliens to stop the auction if I recall correctly

plinvestments
05-03-2013, 07:07 PM
If that wallet had at least 1.5 million in it I would like to think I could still claim it

Maybe - maybe not, from a legal point of view. The restaurant is not a bank. You have to make every effort to claim your wallet as soon as possible. You can't wait 15 years. If you're a tenant and you leave furniture in the unit, and a car in the driveway the landlord can usually sell off those items if unclaimed in 90-180 days depending on where you live. Same goes with storage units. Even the government has a statute of limitations. You have 4 years to claim a tax refund. After that, it belongs to the government. You "abandoned" your money. It seems that Kobe didn't take any reasonable measures to secure his property. Can he prove he asked mom to store them? Who paid the storage fees? Those are the questions the judge will ask. As an aside, the rings seem like gifts to his parents since they were customized for them. I don't think Kobe has any claim to them.

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Maybe - maybe not, from a legal point of view. The restaurant is not a bank. You have to make every effort to claim your wallet as soon as possible. You can't wait 15 years. If you're a tenant and you leave furniture in the unit, and a car in the driveway the landlord can usually sell off those items if unclaimed in 90-180 days depending on where you live. Same goes with storage units. Even the government has a statute of limitations. You have 4 years to claim a tax refund. After that, it belongs to the government. You "abandoned" your money. It seems that Kobe didn't take any reasonable measures to secure his property. Can he prove he asked mom to store them? Who paid the storage fees? Those are the questions the judge will ask. As an aside, the rings seem like gifts to his parents since they were customized for them. I don't think Kobe has any claim to them.

Haha I love how you took it as 100% literal and not as an attempt to give an example. You could also point out that maybe after 5 years the restaurant may have been sold or even gone into liquidation. Then what are they supposed to do with all lost and find items? And why isn't there any I.d. In the wallet? Or what if there is a tornado that rips through and destroys the restaurant and the wallet is lost?

Haha seriously

plinvestments
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Haha I love how you took it as 100% literal and not as an attempt to give an example. You could also point out that maybe after 5 years the restaurant may have been sold or even gone into liquidation. Then what are they supposed to do with all lost and find items? And why isn't there any I.d. In the wallet? Or what if there is a tornado that rips through and destroys the restaurant and the wallet is lost?

Haha seriously

Of course, the restaurant needs to make an effort to return the wallet. But none of this applies in this case since Kobe knew where his stuff was. He needs to go get it, it's not on his mom to return it.

Takuleechch
05-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Of course, the restaurant needs to make an effort to return the wallet. But none of this applies in this case since Kobe knew where his stuff was. He needs to go get it, it's not on his mom to return it.

Hahahaha can you drop the restaurant? It was just an example!

dolphanz
05-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Very interested in the outcome of this story

It sucks for both parties but there's definitely a story behind the story....

mdube16
05-04-2013, 09:25 PM
This could be the start of a flood of lawsuits from people over the cards/comics their Mother threw away.

gingi79
05-09-2013, 10:44 AM
This is not a case of a restaurant or a tenant or a landlord. His MOTHER realized she could sell her son's treasured memorabilia for quick, large cash and she did it. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a mother who has a moral compass and not an "I deserve things I didn't earn" attitude.

To me, she stole her son's stuff to buy herself something. The more that comes out on this, the less it looks like she had any right to do this. As a mother, she should be ashamed.

MercyMe78
05-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Looks like the mom said he didn't give her permission..

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9257907/kobe-bryant-says-mother-given-permission-sell-stuff

Jags Fan Dan
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
This is not a case of a restaurant or a tenant or a landlord. His MOTHER realized she could sell her son's treasured memorabilia for quick, large cash and she did it. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a mother who has a moral compass and not an "I deserve things I didn't earn" attitude.

To me, she stole her son's stuff to buy herself something. The more that comes out on this, the less it looks like she had any right to do this. As a mother, she should be ashamed.

I agree. My mom held onto all my old hotwheels, star wars, gi joe, transformers, he-man, etc. stuff. When I got a house of my own she asked me if I wanted it. That to me is normal behavior between a parent and child.

Takuleechch
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
The judge just shut the auction down

Phil316
05-09-2013, 01:58 PM
You are right.

a judge issued a temporary restraining order against Goldin Auctions, prohibiting them from selling Kobe's jerseys, championship rings, trophies, and lots of other stuff until a full hearing can be held next Monday. Kobe's mom claims her son gave her the stuff outright, but Kobe says his mom is just bitter because he wouldn't buy her an expensive house. He also says she stole some of the stuff from his house.

esquiresports
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
The TRO is more of a formality that would be expected by all parties to this action. It is designed only to maintain the status quo until the judge has an opportunity to hear from the parties. It should not suggest anything more.

godwulf
05-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow, this story makes me so glad that I'm not a famous pro athlete with a gazillion dollars and hordes of people clamoring to own my stuff.

Wait a minute...no it doesn't.

Anyway, one of the more interesting aspects of this story, to me, is the $1500 that Kobe's mother reportedly paid each month - for five years - to store and insure the items. Feel free to check my math, but isn't that 90 grand? I can see wanting to pay to insure the stuff, but why would you necessarily need to store it outside your home? Heck, I've got several times that amount of memorabilia packed into the walk-in closet in my master bathroom.

KGoldin
05-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Please see the below. I will remind everyone that outside of attorney's comments, I will not be commenting on the case. In addition, I remind you that we have never announced a formal start or end date except for a 'June auction'. The TRO in effect lasts for 4 days, thru Monday May 13 . I appreciate your understanding of this as well as NOT calling out for me to respond when I cannot. Ken

Goldin Auctions, LLC, is taking necessary and appropriate legal action in U.S. District Court (Case No. 13-2816) to allow the business to move forward with its planned auction, including the items that are the subject of this action. The items at issue were legally obtained by Goldin Auctions after being approached by Pamela Bryant, who provided certificates of authenticity and attested in a sworn affidavit to their lawful ownership. Goldin Auctions has already issued a substantial monetary advance for these items and is only interested in proceeding with its legal right to conduct its business without further interference.

Goldin Auctions is also taking all necessary and appropriate legal action to oppose Mr. Bryant’s efforts in California to interfere with the New Jersey proceedings.

Goldin Auctions will not be offering any further comments at this time. For all other information, please refer to the filed documents in the New Jersey and California actions.

Jeffrey A. Cohen

Flaster/GreenbergPC (http://www.flastergreenberg.com/)

allstarsplus
05-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Maybe an angle that hasn't been considered on these High School jerseys is that those were acquired while Kobe was a minor child under 18 years of age possibly and the parent's were the ones supporting Kobe and paying for all of his clothes, schooling etc.

I know I take my kids clothes and donate them and throw the ripped items away. I would think if the parents are paying for the clothes they have possibly a legal right to it.

gingi79
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
The last post by KGoldin was modified by the Admin for "spacing". Is this website now a Goldin's Auction property? Let me know please.

gingi79
05-09-2013, 08:57 PM
The last post by KGoldin was modified by the Admin for "spacing". Is this website now a Goldin's Auction property? Let me know please.

Kobe's momma stole his stuff and tried to sell it. Ken did no wrong in my opinion. However had this been GF or MEARS, this story would have been much more inflammatory and posts by Troy or Rich would not have been modified (for potential drama) under arbitrary reasons.

Just saying, perceived biased treatment is.....

marino13
05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-09/kobe-bryant-wins-order-blocking-mother-s-sale-of-memorabilia.html?cmpid=yhoo

ChrisCavalier
05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Kobe's momma stole his stuff and tried to sell it. Ken did no wrong in my opinion. However had this been GF or MEARS, this story would have been much more inflammatory and posts by Troy or Rich would not have been modified (for potential drama) under arbitrary reasons.

Just saying, perceived biased treatment is.....
Dude, I edited the post because when Ken cut and pasted the statement from the attorney the spacing in the text ran together in some places and made it difficult to read.

I'm not sure of the purpose of your conspiracy theory but it is, of course, needless and without substance. It was not "modified (for potential drama) under arbitrary reasons."

Please don't make silly posts with no perceived intention but to try to stir up trouble.

Thanks,
Chris

42itus
05-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Dude, I edited the post because when Ken cut and pasted the statement from the attorney the spacing in the text ran together in some places and made it difficult to read.

I'm not sure of the purpose of your conspiracy theory but it is, of course, needless and without substance. It was not "modified (for potential drama) under arbitrary reasons."

Please don't make silly posts with no perceived intention but to try to stir up trouble.

Thanks,
Chris

Shoot, I thought this was gonna be entertaining before you shot it down. On a serious note... However this turns out for Goldin, I would imagine the press that they are receiving is immeasurable for this and future auctions. I would imagine Goldin Auctions is going to BANK on this auction with all the press on this case.

42itus
05-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Interesting how polarizing this case is. Everyone's got an opinion. I personally think Kobe is being a douche, but no doubt there are two sides to all stories. I'd be interested to see how the law defines ownership. Do I "own" my son's baseball trophies? Does my mom own all the stuff in the attic of her house? What about old stuff that an ex left behind?

cohibasmoker
05-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Just a couple of comments;

If the stuff was so sentimental to Kobe, why did his Mom have them?

I guess Kobe didn't have room in his mansion or the financial resources to store the items so his Mom had to pay for storage fees;

If Kobe asked his Mom for the items years ago and she didn't return them, Kobe sure had the time to bring a lawsuit against Goldin auction in a timely manner.

Finally, I am not sure where the item were stored but most States do have Statutes that refer to "abandoned" property.

Just some thoughts,

Jim

plinvestments
05-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Interesting how polarizing this case is. Everyone's got an opinion. I personally think Kobe is being a douche, but no doubt there are two sides to all stories. I'd be interested to see how the law defines ownership. Do I "own" my son's baseball trophies? Does my mom own all the stuff in the attic of her house? What about old stuff that an ex left behind?

Like mother like son. How could you sell your son's mementos and how could you sue your mother? They deserve each other.

kellsox
05-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Something tells me that in the end Kobe ends up getting his stuff. This is a little different than mom cleaning out the attic and selling baseball cards. These are one of a kind items that are well documented as being owned by Kobe.

Takuleechch
05-10-2013, 12:13 PM
he's going to get everything back for sure
he has been a source of money for them for years so do we really think she would risk Abby other future help from Kobe and never seeing her grandkids over some clothes? no way.
she'll give Goldin the money back and kobe his stuff - which she should

Jags Fan Dan
05-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Like mother like son. How could you sell your son's mementos and how could you sue your mother? They deserve each other.
Man, that is well said!

jbcindc
05-10-2013, 09:13 PM
However this turns out for Goldin, I would imagine the press that they are receiving is immeasurable for this and future auctions. I would imagine Goldin Auctions is going to BANK on this auction with all the press on this case.

I think it's a mistake to think that "all press is good press" and that this dispute over ownership of Kobe's memorabilia will somehow result in a windfall for Goldin Auctions. The fact that Goldin Auctions had been forced to take legal action against the athlete whose memorabilia it seeks to sell must be a nightmare scenario for the auction house. If Kobe prevails, which is very possible, the auction of his memorabilia is halted, Kobe's property is returned and approximately 900 pieces of memorabilia are removed from Goldin's second major auction.

Goldin Auctions obviously projected significant revenue from the sale of the memorabilia as evidenced by the reported advance of $450K to Pamela Bryant. That projected revenue not only disappears, severely impacting cash flow, but the auction house is left without the centerpiece of its highly publicized auction. Recovery of the $450K is also problematic since it has been reported that Pamela Bryant has already used at least a portion of those funds to purchase a house in Nevada. It's likely that Goldin Auctions would be forced to sue Pamela Bryant for the $450K and costs related to advertising, printing, legal fees, and other related damages. I can only imagine the internal discussions at Goldin Auctions about their due diligence process.

Even if Goldin prevails and is permitted to sell the memorabilia, it can't be considered a "win." What auction house wants to have the headlines read "Auction house wins right to sell NBA superstar's memorabilia against his will"? This has to be a nightmare for a new auction house and is press/media attention it most definitely did not want.

I enjoyed participating in Goldin's most recent auction and regret that this issue of property ownership has dominated the headlines prior to its upcoming auction. This mess is not one created by Goldin Auctions, but they're firmly in the middle of a significant family dispute with tremendous financial exposure in the balance. Good luck, Ken.

KGoldin
05-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I will correct 1 misstatement that has been perpetuated in the press.
there are not 900 items in the auction consigned by Pamela Bryant.
there are 900 items in the auction NOT consigned by Pamela Bryant, that have NOTHING to do with Kobe.
the $1.5 million figure is regarding the 900 other items, it has nothing to do with the Pamela Bryant product.
The press is unable to properly read filings and court documents. We have over 1000 items in the auction scheduled for June NOT INCLUDING a single item consigned by Pamela Bryant.
I urge each of you to sit tight, don't speculate. I certainly wouldn't speculate on anything with regards to a 'financial impact' because I own the company and none of you are privy to my personal finances, although there are a few on this forum who may have a decent idea. There are two hearings next week, 1 Monday in CA and Tuesday in NJ. There is a lot of news that will come out within the next 2-3 business days. Anyone speculating here based on what they read in the press is going to look foolish, and you cant erase what you write on this forum..there is no delete message option.
I will not reply to future messages or questions, and will talk when the matter is settled. However, I did want to stop the misinformation that was caused by 1 reporters failure to understand a court filing, and 1000s of other articles just copying her words. Pamela Bryant does NOT have '900 other items valued at over $1.5 million' GOLDIN AUCTIONS DOES. Just goes to show you, even though you see it in print, 5000 times, doesn't mean its correct

I think it's a mistake to think that "all press is good press" and that this dispute over ownership of Kobe's memorabilia will somehow result in a windfall for Goldin Auctions. The fact that Goldin Auctions had been forced to take legal action against the athlete whose memorabilia it seeks to sell must be a nightmare scenario for the auction house. If Kobe prevails, which is very possible, the auction of his memorabilia is halted, Kobe's property is returned and approximately 900 pieces of memorabilia are removed from Goldin's second major auction.

Goldin Auctions obviously projected significant revenue from the sale of the memorabilia as evidenced by the reported advance of $450K to Pamela Bryant. That projected revenue not only disappears, severely impacting cash flow, but the auction house is left without the centerpiece of its highly publicized auction. Recovery of the $450K is also problematic since it has been reported that Pamela Bryant has already used at least a portion of those funds to purchase a house in Nevada. It's likely that Goldin Auctions would be forced to sue Pamela Bryant for the $450K and costs related to advertising, printing, legal fees, and other related damages. I can only imagine the internal discussions at Goldin Auctions about their due diligence process.

Even if Goldin prevails and is permitted to sell the memorabilia, it can't be considered a "win." What auction house wants to have the headlines read "Auction house wins right to sell NBA superstar's memorabilia against his will"? This has to be a nightmare for a new auction house and is press/media attention it most definitely did not want.

I enjoyed participating in Goldin's most recent auction and regret that this issue of property ownership has dominated the headlines prior to its upcoming auction. This mess is not one created by Goldin Auctions, but they're firmly in the middle of a significant family dispute with tremendous financial exposure in the balance. Good luck, Ken.

jbcindc
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
I will correct 1 misstatement that has been perpetuated in the press.
there are not 900 items in the auction consigned by Pamela Bryant.
there are 900 items in the auction NOT consigned by Pamela Bryant, that have NOTHING to do with Kobe.
the $1.5 million figure is regarding the 900 other items, it has nothing to do with the Pamela Bryant product.
The press is unable to properly read filings and court documents. We have over 1000 items in the auction scheduled for June NOT INCLUDING a single item consigned by Pamela Bryant.
I urge each of you to sit tight, don't speculate. I certainly wouldn't speculate on anything with regards to a 'financial impact' because I own the company and none of you are privy to my personal finances, although there are a few on this forum who may have a decent idea. There are two hearings next week, 1 Monday in CA and Tuesday in NJ. There is a lot of news that will come out within the next 2-3 business days. Anyone speculating here based on what they read in the press is going to look foolish, and you cant erase what you write on this forum..there is no delete message option.
I will not reply to future messages or questions, and will talk when the matter is settled. However, I did want to stop the misinformation that was caused by 1 reporters failure to understand a court filing, and 1000s of other articles just copying her words. Pamela Bryant does NOT have '900 other items valued at over $1.5 million' GOLDIN AUCTIONS DOES. Just goes to show you, even though you see it in print, 5000 times, doesn't mean its correct

Ken,

My post was not meant to antagonize but is a reality of the situation as the situation has been presented. I used words such as "reported" in several instances throughout my post to try to account for media reporting errors.

I think in this matter there is the potential for many people to look foolish, not the least of which is yourself.

I'll refrain from making any other comments because printed words fail to convey tone and intent and, as you pointed out, there is no delete button. I think the vast majority of collectors would like to see the matter resolved whichever way it goes so that we can proceed with your auction. For those of us that have an interest in our legal process, this Kobe auction presents a very interesting case which prompts discussion and speculation. There's nothing wrong with that but I can see how you might view it as disparaging to you. None of what I've written is a personal attack on you. My theme throughout my post was that this must be a nightmare situation for Goldin Auctions. I still believe that.

I think one point on which we could possibly all agree is that this is a mess that is not of your own creation but in which you're stuck in the middle. There are probably things you would do differently going forward to avoid such problems in the future. I don't feel that you need to come back on the Forum to explain the matter in the future, but that's up to you.

I wish you the best in resolving the issue and putting it to rest so that you can return to building a successful business that, by all reports, has gotten off to a fantastic start notwithstanding the Kobe Bryant collection.

Takuleechch
05-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Free Kobe....s stuff!!!!

kellsox
05-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Anyone speculating here based on what they read in the press is going to look foolish, and you cant erase what you write on this forum..there is no delete message option.

I don't think anyone will look foolish. This board is for conversation about the goings on in the hobby. People are discussing a pretty major happening with the information (correct or incorrect) that is out there. If people waited for the "facts" regarding all current events then things would be a little slow around the World Wide Web. Why discuss who you think will win the game When you can just wait for it to be played then talk about it......
Best of luck with your auction but people will write and think what they want based on what is out there- kinda fruitless to try to control it.