Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nevrdiez34
    • Feb 2010

Samardzija Bloody Baseball

I saw this story this morning and thought it was interesting, and figured others might enjoy:

The Reds' team website auctioned off a baseball stained with the blood of Chicago Cubs pitcher Jeff Samardzija during an April 24 game at Great American Ballpark.

Here's the auction listing:

Always looking for Chicago Cubs and Wrigley Field Items
  • brianborsch
    • Dec 2005

Re: Samardzija Bloody Baseball

Why is the auction ended early?

Comment

• marino13
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by brianborsch
      Why is the auction ended early?

I was wondering the same thing.

Comment

• brianborsch
        • Dec 2005

My guess is someone won it or bought at a Reds game or directly from the Reds as the starting bid is $1.00 but the ending bid is $130.01 or something like that. Even though there are no online bidders, the winner must have bid in person? Not sure..

Comment

• frikativ54
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by brianborsch
          My guess is someone won it or bought at a Reds game or directly from the Reds as the starting bid is $1.00 but the ending bid is $130.01 or something like that. Even though there are no online bidders, the winner must have bid in person? Not sure..
          Or they are withholding the bidders' IDs for privacy reasons. IDK.
          Les Zukor
          bagwellgameused@gmail.com
          Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
          (617) 682-0408

Comment

• Wrigley2010
            • Sep 2010

I found this disappointing. I would have loved the opportunity to make a run at this ball. Not to mention it sold for far less than what I think it would have at auction.

Comment

• jbsportstuff
              • Mar 2009

It's a possibility that the Reds HOF wanted the baseball for future display. This frequently happens but in this case it maybe a case of bad timing.

Comment

• nevrdiez34
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Wrigley2010
                I found this disappointing. I would have loved the opportunity to make a run at this ball. Not to mention it sold for far less than what I think it would have at auction.

+1

Comment

• dplettn
                  • Dec 2010

The ball was taken down to accommodate a request from the player's association in regards to Samardzija.

Comment

• frikativ54
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by dplettn
                    The ball was taken down to accommodate a request from the player's association in regards to Samardzija.
                    Please explain.
                    Les Zukor
                    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• rdeversole
                      • Dec 2009

I'm sure Reds Authentics manager Jon Cline (JCline@reds.com) would be able to answer any questions about the ball. He'd be the best source on the issue.

I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.
                      - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
                      Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Comment

• nevrdiez34
                        • Feb 2010

I'm sure the media coverage on the ball caught The Sharks attention.[/quote]

The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.

Comment

• dplettn
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by frikativ54
                          Please explain.
                          Jon Cline is extremely courteous and to the extent his schedule allows, I'm sure he'd help people to understand the good intentions involved. Knowing how hard Jon works, I'd like to offer my educated guess as an explanation.

For starters its important to understand that Reds Authentics' proceeds benefit the Reds Community Fund. Basically Reds Authentics' proceeds pay for outreach baseball programs where they are needed most. Its a charitable purpose, not a way the Reds organization furthers its financial coffers.

Understanding Reds Authentics' financial interests, its probably easy for all to appreciate that it wouldn't have fit Reds Authentics' interest to sensationalize anything that some might consider indecent or exploitative about the ball. It would appear that when the media portrayed the ball's existence in a way that could be considered exploitative of the players' DNA, that the Players Association made a request. I'm not at all surprised Reds Authentics served the Players Association's request.

Feel free ask of Jon's time because his service standards are exceptional. Consider to do it as a customer though... for any of the many Reds game used items that serves a wholly good purpose of baseball outreach programs.

Comment

• dplettn
                            • Dec 2010

The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.[/quote]

Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.

Comment

• nevrdiez34
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by dplettn
                              The media coverage did bring the auction to Samardzija's attention, but if you read the first article I posted, it sounded like he was really cool with the ball being auctioned off. He's a very laid back guy and was joking about the ball in interviews, I'd be very surprised if he was the reason the ball was pulled from auction.
                              Just a guess, but I think the Players Association probably is conscientious about all things that could set a precedent. I don't blame anybody or anything for any part of this situation. Once the ball was portrayed by the media in a way that could potentially have been considered exploitative, it would have been pretty easy to anticipate that well intentioned folks would make clear there were no such intentions.[/quote]

When you put it that way, I could definitely see that happening and understand it, although it still sucks, I would've loved to have that baseball and I'm not even a GU baseball guy.

Comment

Working...