PDA

View Full Version : Grey flannel auctions! What is up?!

greg678
05-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I am new to collecting and Bought my first couple jerseys and put a lot of money and time into them. I researched tagging ect. and photo-matched items before I bought.
I was Excited about Grey Flannel Auction and thought that they were really solid from their rep, but boy was I wrong.
Their statement " The jersey was properly tagged (5 minutes work), was presented to us as game-used (0 minutes work) and in our opinion shows (2 minutes work?) appropriate use." Is everywhere!
I started to do work on some jerseys and was like "can't they photo-match and explain where the jersey came from and why do I have to all the work?
They......I hate to say this, but enjoy it too,.......Suck!
I just don't understand people who have a Greg Maddux jersey and just sell it and all they say "it was game used and thats the story" and walk away! Are you kidding me!!!
Grey Flannel........I ain't bidding.
Thanks
Greg

onlyalbert
05-05-2013, 10:22 PM
They've started doing that in the last few auctions. Basically, it is a CYA thing. They take any blame off them if an item later doesn't pass the mustard by saying Hey, this is what the guy told us, and we believe him. They won't say it is 100% authentic, but offer their "opinion" only.

greg678
05-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I know it it going that way of the, this guy with a HOF jersey walked mailed this in and said "it is real sell it" is stupid!
The stories behind the items are gone. Weird and sad.
I am sick if the clubhouse guy story also. My friend works for Apple and I don't say " Wow, where did you get those dozen iphones from?"
You don't just walk put of work with your employer' s stuff.
Thanks for posting.:)

Dewey2007
05-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Good thing you weren't planning on bidding because you are probably banned from bidding in their auctions now after your post. Someone there monitors the board, not sure how often, but many of us here have found that out after posting something that GFC did not like you are not welcome to bid in their auctions anymore.

I agree with you though that it is frustrating that many auction houses, not just GFC, fail to do simple research on items consigned to them. Good thing a site like this exists so other collectors can help catch some of these "oversights" and have been quite successful in getting items pulled or at least making folks aware of a questionable item if an auction house does nothing about it.

I am new to collecting and Bought my first couple jerseys and put a lot of money and time into them. I researched tagging ect. and photo-matched items before I bought.
I was Excited about Grey Flannel Auction and thought that they were really solid from their rep, but boy was I wrong.
Their statement " The jersey was properly tagged (5 minutes work), was presented to us as game-used (0 minutes work) and in our opinion shows (2 minutes work?) appropriate use." Is everywhere!
I started to do work on some jerseys and was like "can't they photo-match and explain where the jersey came from and why do I have to all the work?
They......I hate to say this, but enjoy it too,.......Suck!
I just don't understand people who have a Greg Maddux jersey and just sell it and all they say "it was game used and thats the story" and walk away! Are you kidding me!!!
Grey Flannel........I ain't bidding.
Thanks
Greg

greg678
05-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Onlyalbert thanks for reaching out. I do not get how they can get away with this. Are the auction houses becoming the "sell with us, we won't ask any questions and cover for you" places?
Put it this way I have a Willie Mays jersey and I drop it off at Grey Flannel with no explanation of where I got it and Grey Flannel goes, hey great we do not want to know anything about the item!
Who is bidding on this? Is this OK with them?
Like to ask him, wouldn't you?

greg678
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Is that Dewey as in Dwight Evans? He is my favorite player.
Oh well I can't bid. I will only buy from teams or players selling their collections that I or they photo-match. Am I angry- no. Just disappointed, especially with all the money that is flying around.

Wrigley2010
05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Good thing you weren't planning on bidding because you are probably banned from bidding in their auctions now after your post. Someone there monitors the board, not sure how often, but many of us here have found that out after posting something that GFC did not like you are not welcome to bid in their auctions anymore. t.

My question is how does GFA know who is behind a post on GUU? I mean as long as a poster doesn't have their name in their signature and such... am I missing something?

trsent
05-06-2013, 04:17 AM
My question is how does GFA know who is behind a post on GUU? I mean as long as a poster doesn't have their name in their signature and such... am I missing something?

Everyone who is logged in can be looked up in the link above marked Hobby Network on the top of each page. You click on this link and look up a user id and their name shows up:

Samets
05-06-2013, 05:54 AM
Never seen that! Thanks!

Murph4Prez
05-06-2013, 07:25 AM
They have my grail listed in their upcoming auction... may need to investigate before bidding.

sportscentury
05-06-2013, 07:46 AM
I realize this won't make me popular, but I can only say that I've picked up several Hall-of-Fame quality basketball items from Grey Flannel over the years. I guess the language they use in their auction lots doesn't bother me because I've never been one to rely on someone else's opinion about the authenticity of an item in the first place. If you choose to rely on another's opinion as the basis of your collecting, then you are taking your chances, regardless of the auction and what language is used.

ctguy212003
05-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I think we're being a bit judgmental against grey flannel. They sell over 1100 items and don't forget make a very nice catalog and must promote the auction. If they took out hours to photo match every item they would have half the inventory and as collectors be upset because of lack of items to buy. Plus they do sell items photo matched I bought a darren McFadden jersey all beat up and still included a photo match with my purchase. And to name a few currently listed with photo matches is a Shawn Merriman uniform and Curtis grandersons first ever used yankee jersey.
We do spend a lot on this hobby believe me I know but part of the thrill of buying an item is to do the research and find that photo match

sportscentury
05-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I think we're being a bit judgmental against grey flannel. They sell over 1100 items and don't forget make a very nice catalog and must promote the auction. If they took out hours to photo match every item they would have half the inventory and as collectors be upset because of lack of items to buy. Plus they do sell items photo matched I bought a darren McFadden jersey all beat up and still included a photo match with my purchase. And to name a few currently listed with photo matches is a Shawn Merriman uniform and Curtis grandersons first ever used yankee jersey.
We do spend a lot on this hobby believe me I know but part of the thrill of buying an item is to do the research and find that photo match

I agree. It has appeared to me that Grey Flannel values photomatching as an authentication tool more than most auction houses. It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.

nevrdiez34
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I agree. It has appeared to me that Grey Flannel values photomatching as an authentication tool more than most auction houses. It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.

+1

G1X
05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
. . . It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.

+1

Two excellent posts in this thread by Sportscentury.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Nnunnari
05-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Well said by Sportscentury.

You can't find a "story" for every game worn/used item out there. It is in GF's best interest to photo match as many items as possible, which I am sure they make an effort to do. At the same time, is it worth paying someone a salary to spend hours trying to photo match a jersey which will only increase it's value x%? Their money is better spent having that employee do something else with their time, like trying to find more consignors or spending time trying to photo match the high end items. It just doesn't make sense, from a business stand point, to pay someone to spend hours trying to photo match common items.

slats7
05-06-2013, 02:21 PM
I see they're selling another phony Dallas Cowboy jersey from the early 1960s.

hairyangryfella
05-06-2013, 03:59 PM
I have had mixed dealings with Grey Flannel items.

1) I bought my Shaq jersey from ebay with GFA LOA. I can't photomatch it, but I'm pretty convinced by it, especially with the amount of sweat staining on it!

2) I bid on a Rondo jersey from their auction once but after doing a bit more research (I was new to the hobby and photomatching) I determined that the logo on the back was not in the same place as in the game, so it couldn't be that jersey (thus, the LOA was wrong and it could be fake) so I informed them about it. I am subsequently banned from their auctions.

3) The Garnett recently in SCP auctions came with a Grey Flannel LOA - and I photomatched that item and believe it was 100% real.

I've browsed their upcoming auctions and because of all the vague statements and complete lack of any kind of proof, I wouldn't be confident buying any of the basketball jerseys. They could all be real, but there doesn't seem much behind them to suggest that they are other than an opinion of some use.

Eric
05-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Just throwing it out there

I, along with many others have been banned by Grey Flannel simply for being associated with this forum.

Over the years I purchased many items from them that I was comfortable bidding on and I actually gave them proof that some of the items may not have been as advertised. Guess they didn't appreciate that.

Eric

Wrigley2010
05-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Everyone who is logged in can be looked up in the link above marked Hobby Network on the top of each page. You click on this link and look up a user id and their name shows up:

Thanks Joel, I had no idea that information was that readily available.

I, along with many others have been banned by Grey Flannel simply for being associated with this forum.

Over the years I purchased many items from them that I was comfortable bidding on and I actually gave them proof that some of the items may not have been as advertised. Guess they didn't appreciate that.

Eric

I find this to be an incredibly strange business practice. This forum has what I believe to be the most informed, passionate and judging by some of the collections that get posted on here biggest spenders in the hobby. So a business would actually go out of their way to make sure these hobbyists could never become a customer of theirs because they are deemed a threat or worse yet overly informed!? I understand there is probably more to some of the stories as to why someone is not allowed to bid with GFA but if a post here can get you banned there.... I find that bewildering.

Mulligans
05-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I find this to be an incredibly strange business practice. This forum has what I believe to be the most informed, passionate and judging by some of the collections that get posted on here biggest spenders in the hobby. So a business would actually go out of their way to make sure these hobbyists could never become a customer of theirs because they are deemed a threat or worse yet overly informed!? I understand there is probably more to some of the stories as to why someone is not allowed to bid with GFA but if a post here can get you banned there.... I find that bewildering.

Not to cause trouble here, but isn't that what took place on this great Forum......there are so many great collectors who have been banned from the forum because they are deemed a threat or in many cases overly informed.

ChrisCavalier
05-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Not to cause trouble here, but isn't that what took place on this great Forum......there are so many great collectors who have been banned from the forum because they are deemed a threat or in many cases overly informed.
Actually Jeff, every person who has ever been banned from this forum has been banned for rule violations. They were never arbitrary decisions. They were all done after the moderators discussed the situations and the bannings were deemed appropriate. Here is a link to the forum rules for your information:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

I am not sure where you are getting your information but I am guessing it is from banned members who will, of course, say they were banned for no reason. However, every banning was substantiated by rule violations and were done for the purpose of protecting the integrity and positive environment of this forum for our members.

Sincerely,
Chris

Birdbats
05-07-2013, 09:57 AM
There was an old clothing guy, Sy Syms, who used to say in every commercial, "An educated consumer is our best customer." Like Eric, I learned first hand that Grey Flannel doesn't like being challenged by educated consumers. Looks like they got tired of educated collectors pointing out errors in their offerings, so they took the easy way out with the language they're now using in their listings. "Our consignor says it's legit. You decide whether he's lying. We're just the middle man making 20 percent on both ends." If you aren't going to do anything beyond marketing, aren't you basically eBay with a glossy catalog? Exactly what value are you adding?

Eric
05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
My favorite exchange was regarding a Lynn Dickey game used helmet that Grey Flannel was selling. I emailed them and asked what photo they used to authenticate the helmet because I hadn't seen Dickey wear a facemask like the one in their auction. I wasn't saying it was fake. I was just asking what research materials they used.
If they provided a photo, it would only enhance the item's value.
I had asked a question about another Packers item as well. Here's the response. I kept the email.

"On the helmet, have you seen every photo with Dickey there is?

Rich"

It's not up to me to look at every photo of Lynn Dickey. I wasn't selling the item and calling it "game used." It's up to him to defend his item if he wants to take the cash.

Anyway, months later, another forum user started a thread about this same helmet
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=74342

Eric

Mulligans
05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Like I said.....not here to cause trouble.....the nice thing about the Forum is that we are all able to share our opinions.....Have you ever considered giving some of the "Good Guys" a second chance?:)

slats7
05-07-2013, 11:08 AM

Eric

Because with each item they're forced to pull due to your dedicated research, you're costing them money. In short, you're bad for their bottom line.

Eric
05-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Because with each item they're forced to pull due to your dedicated research, you're costing them money. In short, you're bad for their bottom line.

True. But I'm also saving them the time and aggravation of giving refunds.

Mulligans
05-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I have consigned many items with GF over the years....They have always been very up front with me and they have pulled a handful of my items as a result of input from Forum members....In some instances, I felt that their decision wasn't justified at all, but they did not want the negative publicity and Michael thought removing the item would be better for "Goodwill".....I am certainly fine with that.....I would rather try a different venue than get killed in an auction that has negative publicity.....That said, Just because other collectors can't find an appropriate image on Getty does not mean that the item is fake.

Eric
05-07-2013, 11:40 AM
That said, Just because other collectors can't find an appropriate image on Getty does not mean that the item is fake.

In my example I wasn't saying it was fake. I was just asking them what they used to determine it was real.

slats7
05-07-2013, 11:45 AM
True. But I'm also saving them the time and aggravation of giving refunds.

If the customer who got ripped off never stumbles upon this forum, they'll be none the wiser. That's what GF's counting on.

Mulligans
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
In my example I wasn't saying it was fake. I was just asking them what they used to determine it was real.

Sorry Eric....I wasn't referencing your post. I had a Steve McNair GU Helmet with obvious game use that was purchased from NFL Auctions that was pulled because someone could not find a similar match on the Internet......I didn't sweat it as I would rather have it pulled than become someones cause for concern.

esquiresports
05-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I can only speak from my limited personal experience, but everything has been very positive for me (buy side only). In their December auction, the price for an item started getting out of my comfort level based on the detail I could see in the photo. This was for a nice-conidition game item, and it was difficult to gauge wear/coloring. I called up GF very late in the evening. They went and got the lot and discussed the item with me in detail. I really appreciated that. What I didn't appreciate was getting outbid at 4:00 am PT the next day and waking up a loser. Hah! Couldn't believe the auction remained open so long. Literal case of "you snooze, you lose."