PDA

View Full Version : Sold to the Player

toddhead
05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I just sold my Pat Woodcock Redskins jersey to Pat Woodcock. Would love to hear some stories about other forum members selling/giving their jerseys to the actual players.

As an FYI, I essentially sold it to him for what I paid for it plus shipping to Canada.

Steelers25
05-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I had a Ryan Clark 2003 Giants away jersey that I sent him a pic of on twitter, he asked if he could buy or trade for it. Asked for my phone # and within a few min he sent me a text. We ended up trading at the visitors tunnel after the Steelers Giants game on Nov 4th 2012. Took the jersey right off his back, was pretty awesome. Sent me a message later that night thanking me, great guy.

toddhead
05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
That is an awesome story.

perlman9
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
A while ago I sold a preseason Titans jersey to the player. Was a West Virginia alum, cannot remember his name, but he wanted it for his son. Was glad to sell it to him at cost

jeffaary
05-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Nice to hear that some players actually want their jerseys. I've contacted three players about their game worns. Two were completely indifferent, the third actually snickered and told me in a very condescending manner that they weren't interested in collecting such things (and he has three small daughters he could leave them to).

Mark17
05-12-2013, 10:48 PM
Two weeks ago, I sold a Steve Hovley bat to his son, for a modest amount. We exchanged a couple of interesting emails. Nice people. It was good to see it go back to the family.

topekabob
05-13-2013, 12:13 AM
A few months ago I was selling off a lot of my minor league baseball jersey collection. In doing research on a jersey I found the player who wore it back in the early 1980's for an Expos Single A affiliate was now a coach at a college. I emailed him and offered the jersey and he was absolutely thrilled. I sold it to him for cost and it was really cool and he couldn't have been nicer and more appreciative.

PAC
05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Nice to hear that some players actually want their jerseys. I've contacted three players about their game worns. Two were completely indifferent, the third actually snickered and told me in a very condescending manner that they weren't interested in collecting such things (and he has three small daughters he could leave them to).

I know a couple people who've played professional sports, and they don't see it as an unusual or "cool" thing...it was just something they did in the past, and they've moved on. To them, being reunited with one of their game jerseys would be like you getting one of your old Burger King uniforms.

For some, it may not have been such a great period of their life (due to failed relationships, not living up to expectations, legal problems, etc.) and now they just want to be able to go on with their lives, without forever being remembered as that player who used to play that game.

Takuleechch
05-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm gonna buy one of Kobes high school jerseys (well I guess they are his mums?) from the Goldin auction and sell it back to him

Anabolicollege17
05-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I had a Ryan Clark 2003 Giants away jersey that I sent him a pic of on twitter, he asked if he could buy or trade for it. Asked for my phone # and within a few min he sent me a text. We ended up trading at the visitors tunnel after the Steelers Giants game on Nov 4th 2012. Took the jersey right off his back, was pretty awesome. Sent me a message later that night thanking me, great guy.

LOL I was at the game when he did this. I was saying to my girlfriend at the time (who hates the fact I collect sweaty jerseys) How lucky that guy is. I knew he must of knew you, as they never do that.

Awesome bro, just awesome!

Steelers25
05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
LOL I was at the game when he did this. I was saying to my girlfriend at the time (who hates the fact I collect sweaty jerseys) How lucky that guy is. I knew he must of knew you, as they never do that.

Awesome bro, just awesome!

That's awesome you were there, whereabouts were you? I might of even talked to you on the way out cause so many people were askin me why he did that, even got a hug from some drunk guy from Pittsburgh haha.

eisenreich8
05-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I know a couple people who've played professional sports, and they don't see it as an unusual or "cool" thing...it was just something they did in the past, and they've moved on. To them, being reunited with one of their game jerseys would be like you getting one of your old Burger King uniforms.

For some, it may not have been such a great period of their life (due to failed relationships, not living up to expectations, legal problems, etc.) and now they just want to be able to go on with their lives, without forever being remembered as that player who used to play that game.

Your words ring completely true. I can relate the story of a player who played many years in MLB and after his baseball career was over, got involved in real estate development and lost every dime he made in his MLB career. He was flat broke. Then, his wife divorced him, leaving him with 3 young kids. He sold off every award, world series ring and personal trophy, jersey, bat, and everything else he had accumulated and had absolutely no interest in retaining anything material that connected him to the game. Very sad story.

sox83cubs84
05-13-2013, 08:37 PM
I once sold a Brewers GU jersey worn by Bob Scanlan to Scanlan himself, as he claimed the team wouldn't let him keep anything (though they had no problem releasing it to fans).

I also sold a game-issued John Verhoeven White So home jersey to Verhoeven when he was with the Twins. The jersey was made for his use, but the So let him go before he had a chance to wear it.

Dave Miedema