PDA

View Full Version : Rare 1993 Ripken Alternate Jersey?

hblakewolf
11-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I just received my Sotheby's/SCP Auctions catalog and want to bring attention to lot #714:

Cal Ripken Jr. black alternate. It is knit (not the usual mesh BP) with the All Star patch on the left sleeve, name on back. The tagging is the standard Russell, with a screend white patch/blue screened 93-3 below. Interesting, the usual 100% POLY tag is not present.

This is the first time I have ever seen a solid knit, black alternate that was worn by the O's in 1993. Interesting that it just happens to be Ripken!

Has any other Forum reader ever seen this type of 1993 O's jersey in the hobby?

Here is the link:
http://www.scpauctions.com/scpauctions/LotDetail.cfm?Lot_ID=10900

In terms of rarity, maybe this is line with Dan Derlith's green Ripken St. Pat's jersey!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
11-13-2006, 09:16 PM
My mistake-sorry for the incorrect information.

I'm told the O's did indeed wear this type of black alternate in 1993.

My question, however: Did the 1994 version have 2 buttons at the neck and the 1993's did not?

Again, sorry for the incorrect info. in the initial post.

Howsrd Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
howard wolf,

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=8684

this lonnie smith also appears in henderson's guide. perhaps henderson or sutton know more? henderson may even have some more images of this particular style.

rudy.

hblakewolf
11-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Mark Sutton-
Can you please provide your thoughts on this jersey?

Thanks.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
11-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Everyone:
The Orioles did wear a black, v-neck pullover in 1993 only. For 1994, the black jersey had two buttons at the neck. If you look at the Lonnie Smith jersey referenced earlier in the thread, you'll notice two things consistent with my Brad Pennington 1993 black: a) it's autographed, and b) the year tag has turned pink. I don't know why the year tags turned pink on the black jerseys, but that's been my experience. I've never seen a 1993 set three jersey, and I've never seen a black jersey from that year that wasn't hammered with wash wear/use.
I actually may have had a chance to buy that Smith jersey from the Orioles DC Team store a few years back, but passed...can't remember why, though! :eek: