PDA

View Full Version : Framing help

Takuleechch
05-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Excuse my ignorance but where is the best/cheapest place to get a jersey framed. Has anybody ever used hobby lobby or places like that?

Blitzmaster
05-10-2013, 09:59 PM
I had a couple framed at Aaron Brothers and they turned out very nice. Gotta wait for the half of sale as they are a little spendy($500-$600). Also be specific about how they mount the jersey so they don't put stitches or holes in the jersey. My local guy attaches them in the stitching so it can't be seen if the jersey is taken out of the frame.

marino13
05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I used MICHAELS custom framing when they have 50% off + 50% additional.

Cant go wrong with that.

NeonStatus
05-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I used MICHAELS custom framing when they have 50% off + 50% additional.

Cant go wrong with that.

Any pics of the frame job? I have been contemplating going this route.

Takuleechch
05-11-2013, 01:59 AM
Any pics of the frame job? I have been contemplating going this route.

Yea I'd like to see a pic too if that's ok

dre707
05-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a jersey that i want framed also i was at the tri star show in san francisco on april 20 and they had a jersey framing special for $149 i regret not doing it :(

greg678
05-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Just bought an off the rack 40 X 30 with about 2.75 depth inside case at hobby lobby on sale "half off" for $75. Hobby lobby has sales like this all the time. Black color only. Comes with pins or you can put a hook at top to hang from the inside. I don't know if you are going to get any lower than that.

For the future - you can also buy a sale frame from them off the shelf and they will mat out your photo for you for about $10-$15. Great for Auto's, etc.. Total comes to about $30 for Frame and matting if you buy frame at 40%-50% off.
Good Luck - from the "Photo Match Guy" LOL!

GMEN92
05-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I was looking at all the best ways to do it and personally I dislike the flat pancaked look.. As per why I opted for a 6 inch deep plexi glass shadow box. Clear all around and I used a proform jersey display (basically a half mannequin). But thicker and comes with mounting hardware .. I got that for 39$ online at profile jersey display .com And had the case custom made for 140$. And I think it looks sweet. Makes the jersey look fuller and more presented and I can always take out to show both sides and all wear marks etc.. Can always choose a different back panel if need be as well. Colors fabrics paint. Whatever.. I left mine clear because I custom painted my walls and think it looks good with the jerseys.. I will talk pics and post later on.. Hope this gives you an idea.. Good luck.. All depends what look you like or are looking for.. Some of the flat custom frame jerseys look awesome just can't take it out or see the wear on both sides..

GMEN92
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Here's one pic more coming

GMEN92
05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Photo 2

GMEN92
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Photo 3

jfbrens
05-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Where did you have the acrylic shadow boxes made?

esquiresports
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Those acrylic frames look great! I'm not a fan of the smushed look either, especially if game worn. That's what led me to go with a shadow box. Not as deep as the above, but it does allow the jerseys to "float" and I use thick-shoulder hangars.

About $100 with tax for the shadow box from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I ordered "suede" mats from M & M Distributors for about $20 each. Standard mats cost less than half that. Note, however, that you could pay up to 4x as much if you custom order mats from Michael's/Hobby Lobby. In-stock is much cheaper.

I designed (well, had designed) 4x6 placards that I printed on thick stock through mpix.com. I was crazy enough to buy a mat cutter and cut the mats myself. I imagine this charge would be minimal from a framing store.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/43426F9B-F766-40F0-B394-0241FFE937C5-5963-00000342D763D1B8_zpsf80a9fa1.jpg

GMEN92
05-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Where did you have the acrylic shadow boxes made?

Found a guy from new jersey on craigslist. 125 each delivered.. Great price.. Not top notch museum quality. Few glue marks and minor scratch or to but for the price can't go wrong .. Same frame from most other acrylic places I called. We're 350+ tax and shipping... This guy delivered to my door for 125 each.. Email me if you want his number . He ships them to.

GMEN92
05-14-2013, 06:26 PM
AWESOME JOB!! That looks great as well.. Nice work.. I was going to do suede backing or mirror as well. But like the wall paint look for now.. I can always change down the road

MercyMe78
05-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Those acrylic frames look great! I'm not a fan of the smushed look either, especially if game worn. That's what led me to go with a shadow box. Not as deep as the above, but it does allow the jerseys to "float" and I use thick-shoulder hangars.

About $100 with tax for the shadow box from Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I ordered "suede" mats from M & M Distributors for about $20 each. Standard mats cost less than half that. Note, however, that you could pay up to 4x as much if you custom order mats from Michael's/Hobby Lobby. In-stock is much cheaper.

I designed (well, had designed) 4x6 placards that I printed on thick stock through mpix.com. I was crazy enough to buy a mat cutter and cut the mats myself. I imagine this charge would be minimal from a framing store.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff461/esquiresports/43426F9B-F766-40F0-B394-0241FFE937C5-5963-00000342D763D1B8_zpsf80a9fa1.jpg

I really like the way that looks.. is this the one you purchased from Michaels?
http://www.michaels.com/Shadowbox-30-inch-X-40-inch/fr0659,default,pd.html?cgid=products-framing-shadowboxes&start=1

esquiresports
05-14-2013, 07:57 PM
Yes, I purchased 30x40 shadow boxes from Michael's. Have not had any issues with them, but picked them up in-store so it was easy to inspect them. The 30 inch width and 40 inch length can handle baseball jerseys pretty well. The ones at Hobby Lobby may be a bit shorter and slimmer.

green-19
05-14-2013, 09:12 PM
GMEN, I really like your shadow boxes they look great! I had a question about the proform jersey display, how exactly does it mount inside the shadowbox? Is it out of the way of the jersey? I'm just wondering how it stays suspended like that without getting in the way of the jersey. Thanks

-Matt

GMEN92
05-14-2013, 10:38 PM
GMEN, I really like your shadow boxes they look great! I had a question about the proform jersey display, how exactly does it mount inside the shadowbox? Is it out of the way of the jersey? I'm just wondering how it stays suspended like that without getting in the way of the jersey. Thanks

-Matt

Green- it has a small 1/4 inch hole on top and included small little L Shaped mounting tab that's ment to screw in the wall and small tab sticks up and proform hangs on that its actually very easy and efficient ...
However I thought for me it was a lot easier to drill a 1/4 inch hole on top of my shadow box and use small 1/4 screw with a wing nut and that way I was able to mount it flush to the top.. I think it's a great buy for 29.99. Fits the jerseys nicely and is nice and sturdy

greg678
05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
I really like the way that looks.. is this the one you purchased from Michaels?
http://www.michaels.com/Shadowbox-30-inch-X-40-inch/fr0659,default,pd.html?cgid=products-framing-shadowboxes&start=1

I like the matting in the shadowboxes! Looks great without the smushed look.
Thanks for the idea.

GMEN92
05-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Esquire...
What kind of mat cutter did you get ? Price? Was it hard to use it?.. I have a few more jerseys I Wana frame but not in a big shadow box like I put my GU ones.. More like what you did with yours. Thanks

green-19
05-15-2013, 02:53 PM
GMEN Thanks for the explanation on the mounting hardware. I ordered one today online, Thanks for the recommendation!

-Matt

GMEN92
05-15-2013, 04:49 PM
GMEN Thanks for the explanation on the mounting hardware. I ordered one today online, Thanks for the recommendation!

-Matt
No problem

Good to hear.. They ship pretty fast to..

esquiresports
05-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Esquire...
What kind of mat cutter did you get ? Price? Was it hard to use it?.. I have a few more jerseys I Wana frame but not in a big shadow box like I put my GU ones.. More like what you did with yours. Thanks

I'm a little crazy/anal and bought an almost-new professional mat cutter off eBay for $500 that originally was around $1500. Picked it up locally. I don't recall the name right now, but it's red and silver. A nice all-metal cutter (e.g., Fletcher, Keen-Cut) will cost at least $300. However, you can get a more basic model with a fiberboard base that probably works great for around $150 on Amazon.com. My thinking was that when I am finished, I should be able to sell the cutter for little or no loss. But I keep coming up with more framing ideas. Hah.

Mat cutters are not difficult at all to use for basic cuts, but I made lots of cutting mistakes early on, even though I thought I studied the process well enough to do it correctly. There are great videos on YouTube. I've stuck to cutting rectangles. Anything more elaborate and I'd go to a pro.

Hope that helps.

GMEN92
05-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I'm a little crazy/anal and bought an almost-new professional mat cutter off eBay for $500 that originally was around $1500. Picked it up locally. I don't recall the name right now, but it's red and silver. A nice all-metal cutter (e.g., Fletcher, Keen-Cut) will cost at least $300. However, you can get a more basic model with a fiberboard base that probably works great for around $150 on Amazon.com. My thinking was that when I am finished, I should be able to sell the cutter for little or no loss. But I keep coming up with more framing ideas. Hah.

Mat cutters are not difficult at all to use for basic cuts, but I made lots of cutting mistakes early on, even though I thought I studied the process well enough to do it correctly. There are great videos on YouTube. I've stuck to cutting rectangles. Anything more elaborate and I'd go to a pro.

Hope that helps.

Great thanks for the heads up.. So I guess I'm better off buying Matt's from you lol.. Good Idea on reselling after using..

Thanks again