PDA

View Full Version : Logan Mankins Helmet

NEFAN
05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Logan-Mankins-NEW-ENGLAND-PATRIOTS-game-helmet-1985-Throwback-/140973015836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d2a5831c

Opinions? To me it seems to be too clean even for one game from an O'Lineman.

paul457
05-11-2013, 06:45 AM
The first things I noticed were the rear player numbers and the rear bumper decals. The Patriots throwback helmets do not have a bumper decal, they're blank. The current Pats throwback numbers are printed on a clear thin mil vinyl and look to be cut out by hand vs the die cut numbers on this helmet.

Its a nice looking reproduction, but its not a helmet that was built by the Pats equipment staff.

paul457
05-11-2013, 06:47 AM
wow that's a big font. :confused:

jhunt28
05-11-2013, 12:02 PM
They also put a front bumper decal over the original Riddell nose bumper, and I'm pretty sure the Pats throwbacks were left original from the factory. For some reason all of the Riddell decals that people can guy on ebay have a smaller font than what the NFL teams use.

I'm fairly certain that the Pats use red lettering for Riddell on their chinstraps, not the generic maroon color that you buy in the stores.

And the Pats equipment managers use a very large screw with a washer when screwing in the high hookup chinstraps. This helmet just has the standard Schutt screw.

paul457
05-11-2013, 10:07 PM
All excellent points as well jhunt. Some of the Pats throwback helmets have blank chnistraps too - not sure what Mankins wore. I also noticed this helmet has the old Riddell logos on the chinstrap, and doesn't have quick change hardware for the facemask...

We're picking it apart, but it is still a decent customized helmet, great for an autograph. I have several Pats autographed helmets and they are all customized to look like game helmets, but I went the extra mile with all of the small details.

The auction has ended early - my beef was really with the description. The price wasn't bad either.

Mulligans
05-12-2013, 06:44 AM
When I saw your first post, what I found odd was the description....the seller seemed to hint that it might be a GU helmet but he did not do so with authority? What I found even more concerning was that he has been on Ebay for years selling household items, maternity and womens clothing etc. and then suddenly he started selling kids helmets, issued helmets, face masks etc........that just seemed odd to me.