PDA

View Full Version : Sending Private Messages

otismalibu
11-15-2006, 10:29 AM
What's the default setting for the board?

When I first joined, I could email other members. The last 3 times I've tried, I get the message that this member's preference is NOT to receive private messages.

Just curious.

sportscentury
11-15-2006, 12:26 PM
I've had some trouble utilizing this feature, as well.

nate
11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
same here

otismalibu
11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
If you login, then click USER CP at the upper left of the page. Then go to EDIT OPTIONS, you can see what is checked and unchecked.

Could someone try emailing me thru the system just to see if it works when private emails are enabled?

nate
11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
I just tried sending one and it didn't work.

:confused:

otismalibu
11-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Obviously, Lou Lampson has hacked the site so we can no longer communicate with each other "privately".

He's good. Very good.

34swtns
11-16-2006, 07:42 AM
LOL!!!
OK that explains it. I've had trouble sending anyone a message sisnce I joined this site last spring. I just thought it was a coincidence that everyone I tried to communicate with was not interested in hearing from other members!

icollectDCsports
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
This site is a fantastic resource and I appreciate the work that has been done to establish it.

BUT the message / email issue is a significant drawback in my opinion. I would prefer that recipients of messages get an email notification that they've got a new message. I've sent messages that I don't think the recipients ever knew they received and I've received messages that I didn't know I had for a while. Wish this could be addressed. The ability to contact each other off the forum is critical.

both-teams-played-hard
11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Just place your email address in the "signature" of the User CP....instantly becomes a link.

ChrisCavalier
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
What's the default setting for the board?

When I first joined, I could email other members. The last 3 times I've tried, I get the message that this member's preference is NOT to receive private messages.

Just curious.
Hello Everyone,

I believe you need to enable the messaging functions via the forum software.

Here is how you can enable that capability:

1) Login and click on the "User CP" link in the forums ("user CP" stands for "User Control Panel");

2) On the left hand side under "Settings and Options" click on the "Edit Options" link;

3) In the "Edit Options" area you will see the second box down is entitled "Messaging and Notification". Under "Receive Emails" you will see check boxes that will enable you to receive emails from administrators and well as other members. If you want to receive emails, simply check those boxes.

4) Further down under "Private Messaging", you will see check boxes that will enable you to receive private messages, receive email notifications when you get messages, and show private message notifications via pop-ups. Simply check any option you would like to enable.

BTW, you can also email members through the Hobby Network. There you can login, go to the "Hobby Network" and either use the "Search" function or "Browse Profile" link on the left side of the page to identify a member. Once you find the member you can click on the member name and you will see a section where you can send an email to that member.

I hope that clears things up for everyone. Please feel free to let me know if have any other questions in this regard.

Sincerely,
Chris Cavalier

icollectDCsports
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
That may work for some, but not everyone wants to post their e-mail address on a public forum.

ChrisCavalier
11-16-2006, 12:50 PM
That may work for some, but not everyone wants to post their e-mail address on a public forum.
Hello icollect,

I think you may be referring to BTPH's post about putting your email address in your signature. If so, I have just posted instructions for enabling the private message function. You can find the instructions here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=26017&postcount=10

Sincerely,
Chris

34swtns
11-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Chris,
After checking my settings and finding they too were not allowing others to PM me, I made the necessary changes.

icollectDCsports
11-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Hello icollect,

I think you may be referring to BTPH's post about putting your email address in your signature. If so, I have just posted instructions for enabling the private message function. You can find the instructions here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=26017&postcount=10

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris:
Thanks very much. I've adjusted my settings, including allowing myself to get email notifications whenever I get a private message. I don't think I've ever adjusted these settings before, and I wonder if perhaps a lot of other members also have not adjusted their notification preferences so that they'd know when they have messages.
Thanks again.

Vintagedeputy
06-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Sorry, dont know where else to post this. Recently I've tried to send private messages to numerous people only to have the system tell me that the member has elected not to receive pm's

what does everyone have against them?

hiramman
06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I've tried too. Not sure why everyone seems to be blocking them.

otismalibu
06-12-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't think that function works. I've heard more than one person complain about it...myself included. I've got my private messages enabled, so you can try shooting me one, just to check. But I don't think it will work.

If I'm trying to contact someone, I have to do a search for their user name and then start going thru their posts, hoping one of them includes an email contact.

NegleyPirate
06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Sorry, dont know where else to post this. Recently I've tried to send private messages to numerous people only to have the system tell me that the member has elected not to receive pm's

what does everyone have against them?
Hello Vintage,
just email me and let me know if u want the Nick Johnson game used Nats bat. mtneville@worldnet.att.net
Thanks,

stlbats
06-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Why dont everyone just start posting their email address and people wont have to PM. Funny how people post stuff for sale but no way of getting in touch with them other than the board.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

MooseDog
06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
The problem with posting email addresses on a public forum like this is that anyone or any thing (computers) can read and collect it. This is how you get on SPAM lists. Has anyone asked the moderator or administrator about the Private Message function?

Also some other forums allow you to make your email address available in your profile.

If you want to show your email address there are a few ways to hide it but one of the more common is to spell it out like this:

yourname (at) domain dot com

Anyone with half a brain can figure out how to contact you but the spam bots can't read that as an email address.

PeteRose14
06-13-2007, 09:21 AM
The problem with posting email addresses on a public forum like this is that anyone or any thing (computers) can read and collect it. This is how you get on SPAM lists. Has anyone asked the moderator or administrator about the Private Message function?

Also some other forums allow you to make your email address available in your profile.

If you want to show your email address there are a few ways to hide it but one of the more common is to spell it out like this:

yourname (at) domain dot com

Anyone with half a brain can figure out how to contact you but the spam bots can't read that as an email address.

Good call Moose! Fixed mine.

Thanks ;)
Jay

Vintagedeputy
06-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Jay - I see you are a Zimmerman fan. Where are you from?

PeteRose14
06-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Jay - I see you are a Zimmerman fan. Where are you from?

Originally - NJ

I'm a transplant ;) Now in Va.

Not a Nationals fan, not yet lol But I like Zimm. Good kid, good player.

ChrisCavalier
06-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

I believe we may have discussed this topic a while back. If I'm not mistaken, I think the system default is to not allow private messaging so that people won't be sent messages without their consent. I believe that is intended for the benefit (and privacy rights) of each member. However, if you do want to enable private messaging, you can do so by going to your profile and allowing it.

I believe these are the steps you can take to enable private messaging:

1) Login and go to the forum page,
2) Click on the 'User CP' link in the forum navigation (it is on the top left corner of the page),
3) On the left side menu under 'Control Panel' click on 'Edit Options',
4) Scroll down and under 'Messaging & Notification' you will see and area entitled 'Private Messaging'. In that area, click on the checkbox entitled 'Enable Private Messaging'. There are also other options in that area you can select as well.

Please note that the system is set up so that only those wishing to receive such messages will do so. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,
Chris

PeteRose14
06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I turned my PM's on, so if anyone wants to give it a test run...go ahead.

Chris,

I had sent in a request for a ID change. I'd like to change from PeteRose14 to RyanZimmerman11. Can that be taken care of?

Thanks,
Jay

ChrisCavalier
06-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I had sent in a request for a ID change. I'd like to change from PeteRose14 to RyanZimmerman11. Can that be taken care of?
Hello Jay,

I just sent you an email that addresses a few of your questions including the one above.

Sincerely,
Chris

PeteRose14
06-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello Jay,

I just sent you an email that addresses a few of your questions including the one above.

Sincerely,
Chris

Will check it now.

Thanks,
Jay

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Just so everyone knows, this is PeteRose14. I was given permission to make a new account with my new name. The old account will be deleted soon.

Thanks ;),
Jay

Vintagedeputy
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Jay,

I'm originally from NJ too and now I live in Richmond, Va. I'm a big Nats fan (and Yankees - born in the Bronx!). Zimmerman is a fave of mine too. My son loves him too.

Jim

3arod13
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Jay,

I'm originally from NJ too and now I live in Richmond, Va. I'm a big Nats fan (and Yankees - born in the Bronx!). Zimmerman is a fave of mine too. My son loves him too.

Jim

Cool. I love in Chesapeake, VA. You're also a Yankee fan...great!

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Jay,

Jim

Small world lol

Yea, I am and always will be a die-hard Yankee fan!

But, so long as I'm here in Va I have to root for a local team..so I went NL and "adopted" the Nationals. Zimmerman just seemed like a natural choice of players to follow...the more I watched and read up on him..the more I wanted to collect his baseball cards...and now GU items ;)

I want a player I can collect long-term. I think he's the right choice.

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
My next thing I want to do is go see some game in Woordbridge, Va....the Nats farm team....forget which one though.

Vintagedeputy
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Potomac Nationals

What part of Va are you in and where in NJ are you from Jay?

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Potomac Nationals

What part of Va are you in and where in NJ are you from Jay?

Yea, that's them..thanks..I was drawing a blank.

Currently in Culpeper, Va and originally from Belleville, NJ.

Vintagedeputy
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I was born in the Bronx but raised in Mahwah, NJ

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I was born in the Bronx but raised in Mahwah, NJ

I know where Mahway is, roughly. It's sounds real familiar.

Vintagedeputy
06-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Mahwah is in Bergen County, just a hair north of the NY state line.

34swtns
09-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Guys, I can't count how many private messages I've gotten that I take the time to reply to, including researching information, attaching pictures, etc., and then when I try to submit them I get the "this user has chosen not to receive private messages" error blurb.

It's beyond irritating.

Please make sure your settings are set so that you can receive messages before contacting other members of the board.

B1SON
09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Go Bears! ;)

B1SON
09-24-2007, 11:52 PM
I just changed mine. I had the "only buddy list" checked, so I couldn't receive PM's. BUT, now I can. PM me! ;)

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
The pm's are one of the very few aggravating technical issues I've encountered here. I wish everyone would make an attempt to turn their settings on and if for some reason they do not wish to receive pm's they could just put a tag line below their posts that says "my pm's are turned off"

My bigger issue is that we cant sign in and find a way to remain logged in. I wish that there was a little check box or a timer or something that allowed us to stay signed in whenever we visit the site.

Jim

mvandor
09-25-2007, 01:12 AM
The pm's are one of the very few aggravating technical issues I've encountered here. I wish everyone would make an attempt to turn their settings on and if for some reason they do not wish to receive pm's they could just put a tag line below their posts that says "my pm's are turned off"

My bigger issue is that we cant sign in and find a way to remain logged in. I wish that there was a little check box or a timer or something that allowed us to stay signed in whenever we visit the site.

Jim
Lots of issues with this board, no edit option, recent posts are sometimes on top, usually on bottom, odd inconsistency... heck I couldn't even PM Eric for Pete's sake.

34swtns
09-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Agreed. The no-edit thing is a huge headache sometimes.

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2007, 06:04 AM
yeah I forgot about the edit feature - I'd love to have that too.

Eric
09-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Hey everyone-

Regarding the edit feature- We decided it should not be enabled because when it was, it was being abused. People were making reckless comments and then going back, editing them and claiming they never did anything wrong.

If there's anything you need edited, you can click "contact forum moderator" and let us know.

Not having the edit feature also hopefully would cause people to take that extra second to double check their comments or facts before posting, since they're permanent.

If you need to get in contact with me, I'm at ecky3@aol.com
Thanks
Eric

Vintagedeputy
09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Eric - I understand the reason that you stated. Most of my mistakes seem to be spelling errors that I dont catch right away. Any chance you would consider enabling it again?

Jim

Eric
09-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm happy to make any fixes on spelling errors for you. Shoot me an email when there's a problem.

Eric

otismalibu
09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm all for tidy posts, but no way should an edit feature be added.

I'm sure the majority of the posters here are honorable individuals, but let's not forget this is board is a forum for sports memorabilia. This hobby is littered with thieves, liars, con artists, etc. We see examples of blatant deception posted here daily. If someone has no problem selling fake gamers for thousands, I don't think they'd think twice about rewriting their previous posts.

The private message option never seems to work. If I'm trying to contact someone, I simply search their user name and hope I find a post where they left contact info.

Also, when I read the posts while not logged in, they go 1-10. But when I log in, they appear 10-1. Annoying, but I'm used to it. I simply log out immediately after posting.

both-teams-played-hard
09-25-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm all for tidy posts, but no way should an edit feature be added.

Agreed. I have seen other message boards, where a disgruntled member goes back and deletes all of their posts and takes his ball and goes home.

Spelling? How about subject/verb agreement. The ever popular apostrophe "S"...the difference between it's and its. They're, their and there...

34swtns
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I can't be any more emphatic about this:

EVERYONE, check to make sure your settings are so that you can receive private messages!

Once again, someone has sent me a message to which I typed a long and detailed reply only to find that the individual cannot receive private messages. Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time this has happened I could put a nice downpayment on another game used jersey for my collection.........not kidding, at all.

So, check into it, fellas, 'cuz it's beyond annoying.
Let's get those settings adjusted accordingly.

Vintagedeputy
03-23-2009, 12:10 AM
agreed!

jv225
03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Agreed. I also think it would make more sense to have the default set to on. But what do I know :D

34swtns
03-23-2009, 06:11 AM
Agreed. I also think it would make more sense to have the default set to on. But what do I know :D

Yes, straight from the "that would make too much sense" department.

That, as well as an edit function would shoot us right up into 1995-era technology. And yeah, yeah, I've heard all the reasoning behind not having an edit function but for those of us who don't fall into the "lying, thieving douchebag" category and would simply like the opportunity to correct a typo, the argument is wasted.

TriplexXxSports
03-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Some of us just might not know how to do it.......ME!:D

How do you do it?

PwKw13
03-23-2009, 07:55 AM
Some of us just might not know how to do it.......ME!:D

How do you do it?

Go to the "Quick Links" drop-down menu and choose "Edit Options". Make sure the box is checked next to "Enable Private Messaging".

Vintagedeputy
03-23-2009, 09:48 AM
We have a winner! POST OF THE WEEK!

Coffee spit across the keyboard....:) Thanks!

Jim

That, as well as an edit function would shoot us right up into 1995-era technology. And yeah, yeah, I've heard all the reasoning behind not having an edit function but for those of us who don't fall into the "lying, thieving douchebag" category and would simply like the opportunity to correct a typo, the argument is wasted.

chakes89
03-23-2009, 04:43 PM

THANK YOU!

With "reasoning" being used loosely

both-teams-played-hard
03-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't forget some unbalanced folks like to start drama, then after they cool down they want to put the toothpaste back in the tube. I've seen other message boards where some people delete all of their posts and go home. And you think it's awkward reading some of these threads? Typos happen. Screws fall out. The world is an imperfect place. Besides, even if there was an edit function, there would still be atrocious grammar errors. I urge everyone to learn the difference between they're, their and there. And the apostrophe "s" shows ownership, not "more than one".

gingi79
03-23-2009, 09:30 PM
Well as long as no one tries to "Ax" me a question, I guess I will be ok......
Ditto anyone who refers to their collection as "mines"

Working in the NYC school system, man have I seen the perversion of the English Language. With an English Minor in college, I have become what I hated most, an English language snob. Now I correct everyone and my wife hates it.

Hasn't cost me any game worn jerseys yet though :p