Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otismalibu
    • Nov 2005

Sending Private Messages

What's the default setting for the board?

When I first joined, I could email other members. The last 3 times I've tried, I get the message that this member's preference is NOT to receive private messages.

Just curious.
    Greg
    DrJStuff.com
  • sportscentury
    • Nov 2005

Re: Sending Private Messages

I've had some trouble utilizing this feature, as well.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Comment

• nate
      • Nov 2005

same here

Comment

• otismalibu
        • Nov 2005

If you login, then click USER CP at the upper left of the page. Then go to EDIT OPTIONS, you can see what is checked and unchecked.

Could someone try emailing me thru the system just to see if it works when private emails are enabled?
        Greg
        DrJStuff.com

Comment

• nate
          • Nov 2005

I just tried sending one and it didn't work.

Comment

• otismalibu
            • Nov 2005

Obviously, Lou Lampson has hacked the site so we can no longer communicate with each other "privately".

He's good. Very good.
            Greg
            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• 34swtns
              • Apr 2006

LOL!!!
              OK that explains it. I've had trouble sending anyone a message sisnce I joined this site last spring. I just thought it was a coincidence that everyone I tried to communicate with was not interested in hearing from other members!

Comment

• icollectDCsports
                • Nov 2005

This site is a fantastic resource and I appreciate the work that has been done to establish it.

BUT the message / email issue is a significant drawback in my opinion. I would prefer that recipients of messages get an email notification that they've got a new message. I've sent messages that I don't think the recipients ever knew they received and I've received messages that I didn't know I had for a while. Wish this could be addressed. The ability to contact each other off the forum is critical.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

Just place your email address in the "signature" of the User CP....instantly becomes a link.

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                    Paid Users
                    • Jan 1970

Originally posted by otismalibu
                    What's the default setting for the board?

When I first joined, I could email other members. The last 3 times I've tried, I get the message that this member's preference is NOT to receive private messages.

Just curious.
                    Hello Everyone,

I believe you need to enable the messaging functions via the forum software.

Here is how you can enable that capability:

1) Login and click on the "User CP" link in the forums ("user CP" stands for "User Control Panel");

2) On the left hand side under "Settings and Options" click on the "Edit Options" link;

3) In the "Edit Options" area you will see the second box down is entitled "Messaging and Notification". Under "Receive Emails" you will see check boxes that will enable you to receive emails from administrators and well as other members. If you want to receive emails, simply check those boxes.

4) Further down under "Private Messaging", you will see check boxes that will enable you to receive private messages, receive email notifications when you get messages, and show private message notifications via pop-ups. Simply check any option you would like to enable.

BTW, you can also email members through the Hobby Network. There you can login, go to the "Hobby Network" and either use the "Search" function or "Browse Profile" link on the left side of the page to identify a member. Once you find the member you can click on the member name and you will see a section where you can send an email to that member.

I hope that clears things up for everyone. Please feel free to let me know if have any other questions in this regard.

Sincerely,
                    Chris Cavalier
                    Christopher Cavalier
                    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• icollectDCsports
                      • Nov 2005

That may work for some, but not everyone wants to post their e-mail address on a public forum.

Comment

• ChrisCavalier
                        Paid Users
                        • Jan 1970

Originally posted by icollectDCsports
                        That may work for some, but not everyone wants to post their e-mail address on a public forum.
                        Hello icollect,

I think you may be referring to BTPH's post about putting your email address in your signature. If so, I have just posted instructions for enabling the private message function. You can find the instructions here:

Sincerely,
                        Chris
                        Christopher Cavalier
                        Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Comment

• 34swtns
                          • Apr 2006

Thanks Chris,
                          After checking my settings and finding they too were not allowing others to PM me, I made the necessary changes.

Comment

• icollectDCsports
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChrisCavalier
                            Hello icollect,

I think you may be referring to BTPH's post about putting your email address in your signature. If so, I have just posted instructions for enabling the private message function. You can find the instructions here:

Sincerely,
                            Chris
                            Chris:
                            Thanks very much. I've adjusted my settings, including allowing myself to get email notifications whenever I get a private message. I don't think I've ever adjusted these settings before, and I wonder if perhaps a lot of other members also have not adjusted their notification preferences so that they'd know when they have messages.
                            Thanks again.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                              • Oct 2005

Private messages??????

Sorry, dont know where else to post this. Recently I've tried to send private messages to numerous people only to have the system tell me that the member has elected not to receive pm's

what does everyone have against them?

Comment

Working...