PDA

View Full Version : current players signing

gameu08
05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I attending the NY Mets game today had first row tickets down the first baseline right next to the ball boy. Living in NY and being a Mets fan I got to the ball park nice an early and waited and waited. The mets started to arrive davis, turner, murphy, gee (saw them all!!) not one stopped. The Reds start to arrive and I cleaned up on a OMLB I got jay bruce, todd frazier, jonathon broxton, bronson arroyo, joey votto, and xavier paul. The point of the story is what has happened to this game where you cant even get an autograph from your hometown players on a losing team? Anyone else experience this? Just a shame!!

Wanted to get that off my chest...happy collecting

Spiralstairs
05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
In the past, my son and I have routinely gone to Nats games early and tried to snag autos of the Nats warming up. However, on at least a couple occasions this year, the ushers have been strict about not letting fans hang out along the first row while the players are warming up. Something about fans with tickets in the first row getting upset about not having immediate access to their seats. (Sniff, sniff.)

Meanwhile, across the diamond, the visitors have been signing up a frenzy because the ushers on that side don't seem to enforce the rule. Very frustrating -- all we're trying to do is be fans. (And I noticed the ushers seemed to forget the supposed rules when it came to a couple of attractive young women hanging out by the rail.)

coletrain98
05-22-2013, 09:12 PM
at mariner games almost the whole team signs autographs and most of the ushers are not strict at all (you can stay there right until the game starts down the first base line and in the bullpen.) and at minor league games at tacoma and everett you can share the same parking lot as the players

ChiBosox05
05-23-2013, 12:50 AM
The home team is usually tough to get. I have never had much luck at Comiskey (yes still comiskey to us Sox fans) with Sox players. The not so friendly confines at wrigley field isn't very accommodating to autograph seekers. Years ago they allowed you to go by the dugouts during BP, but how times have changed...now you need lower level seats to get anywhere near there. I used to love getting to the ballpark when the gates opened at wrigley and collected signatures from the visiting team.

tella27
05-23-2013, 06:52 PM
If you are by the pen on the 1st base side most team's pitchers will sign for you and pass out a few balls. I know Miller park if you have seats by the field some of the guys will come up to you and sign. It does help if you have a hottie with you to go get the signatures.

toddhead
05-24-2013, 11:56 AM
...Something about fans with tickets in the first row getting upset about not having immediate access to their seats. (Sniff, sniff.)

You were kidding here, right? I know I would be upset if I paid for front row tickets and couldn't get to them.

Spiralstairs
05-26-2013, 07:54 AM
You were kidding here, right? I know I would be upset if I paid for front row tickets and couldn't get to them.
Not kidding -- I am talking about an hour before the game, and there was always plenty of space to hang out, if not sit in your actual seats. I just had never seen a problem.

sox83cubs84
05-26-2013, 02:19 PM
The home team is usually tough to get. I have never had much luck at Comiskey (yes still comiskey to us Sox fans) with Sox players. The not so friendly confines at wrigley field isn't very accommodating to autograph seekers. Years ago they allowed you to go by the dugouts during BP, but how times have changed...now you need lower level seats to get anywhere near there. I used to love getting to the ballpark when the gates opened at wrigley and collected signatures from the visiting team.

I agree about Wrigley Field...the whole ballpark is run like a prison camp. I used to go to 50-60 games a year at the Unfriendly Confines...now it's more like 5 or 6. In fairness to the White Sox players, though, the ballpark opens a strict 90 minutes prior to first pitch,, meaning that the White Sox don't sign only because their BP is over and they're back in their clubhouse. Overall, when you can catch them, the Sox players, overall, are much friendlier than the ones on the Cubs.

Dave Miedema

ChiBosox05
05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
You're absolutely right, Dave. Sox is tougher to get because they're usually done hitting by the time the gates open, but are great signers if you can catch them. Overall, Comiskey is a fan friendlier park.
I haven't gone inside the unfriendly confines of wrigley in almost 13 years. Why waste my time? They don't care about the fans. I used to be a scrubs fan back in the day and saw the light...the good guys are friendlier along with the ballpark.
Btw, I used to collect autographs years ago with you, Dave.

alomar12
05-27-2013, 05:56 PM
My younger son and I are Jays fans and plan our vacation around their away schedule and my son has alway gotten signature, ball and batting gloves but the last 2 yrs its been so hard to get anything even from the guys they call up from the minors!!! one thing that pissed me off was last year, we went to go see them in Oakland (we are from Windsor, Canada. right across the border from Detroit) and we get down to the stadium well before they open the gates. my family might have been the 3rd group to go in, and the stadium is empty. So my son and i run down to the dough out and Omar Vizquel was at the bottom of the dough out, my son asked him for his autograph and he tells him he cant sign no more because he had already signed 3 of them... my son and I were the only 2 people down there...bout 5 minutes go by and a lady was calling Omar's name to get stuff signed and guess what?? he came over to a picture with her, gave her a ball and signed stuff that she had, while my son was right next to her!!! my son asked him again and Omar just looked at him and told him he signed 3 items and couldn't sign his ball. I am standing right behind my son and i heard him say that to him, me knowing spanish called him every thing i could in the book with out my son understanding, he asked me what i told him and i said its not for your ears.. but how could a major leaguer do that to a kid??? i dont get it. are they just over paid??? dont care??? do they forget they were once that kid looking for an autograph??? its good to get that off my chest. thanks for reading..

OaklandAsFan
05-27-2013, 06:24 PM
some of the problem with the home town team is that they get tired of seeing the same exact people every day and signing graphs for them.

xpress34
05-27-2013, 08:29 PM
some of the problem with the home town team is that they get tired of seeing the same exact people every day and signing graphs for them.

I agree with this to a point, but here in Denver, it's been the same fans that have been outside through all the crappy seasons like last year and if they know that they see the same people then they should also know that we are some of their biggest supporters win or lose.

OaklandAsFan
05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
trust me, being and A's fan I completely agree with you but I think the thought process is how many autographs do you really need of a person? Some of the regulars are just there during BP to score graphs and then leave so they can sell them.

I used to be guilty of the graph hoarding (have somewhere between 80 and 100 Giambi autographs) but never sold one. I would never sell an autograph that I scored IP unless I was tight on money and then I would be selling my entire collection. Graphs I pull from packs of cards I have no attachement too and would sell in a heartbeat though.

frikativ54
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
at mariner games almost the whole team signs autographs and most of the ushers are not strict at all (you can stay there right until the game starts down the first base line and in the bullpen.) and at minor league games at tacoma and everett you can share the same parking lot as the players

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen more than a few players signing autographs at M's games. And when I attend, my seats are typically in the first few rows above the Mariners' dugout. I've gotten Michael Saunders, Brendan Ryan, Tom Wilhelmsen, etc. But I never have gotten a player with a lot of hype surrounding him to sign in the Safeco stadium. Any advice or suggestions? How early do you get there?

frikativ54
05-28-2013, 11:05 AM

There is plenty of room for people in the first few rows and the autograph seekers. At least there is at Safeco Field. I often sit in the first several rows, and never once have I had any issues with someone looking to get something signed. However, I cannot speak for other stadiums, as I have limited experience at both Minute Maid Park and Chase Field, and I don't go to other towns to watch baseball games. Especially now since the Astros are in the AL.

sportsnbikes
05-29-2013, 11:53 PM
KC Royals have become mediocre about signing inside. Even as bad as they have been losing a ton lately.

I have had really good luck with the visitors. In just the last 2 weeks, I've gotten Rivera twice and Trout twice. I go inside early though. They have an early bird special and for $10, you can go in a full hour and a half before they let anyone else in the seating area.