PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this David Ortiz ALCS bat

jon_8_us
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
This bat thats on ebay right now would seem to be the real deal.But after looking for all pictures i could find of Ortiz during the 03 ALCS against the Yankees i could not find one of him swinging this kind of bat never mind this exact bat.All pictures have him swinging a ash Rawlings.Now the description says it has heavy use and must have been used for a large part of that series.With that much use and not one photo of him using this bat what gives??The COA is from Malta and Taube.Anyone have any insight?Thanks
jon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170049306996&fromMakeTrack=true

33bird
11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Yea, I checked pictures too. He used a Rawlings (?) two-toned bat all thru the playoffs, so I don't know how that bat could be made specifically for the playoffs in 2003. In fact, I went thru all the pictures on Corbis and Getty's found for Ortiz for 2003-05. He almost used a two-tone bat exclusively for the three seassons, except for the end of the 2004 season when he switched to a LS solid black bat and used that bat for the end of the season thru the entire playoffs. That was good news for me, because I have a 2004 LS genuine 076 select maple bat solid black bat and the photos match my bat perfectly. I've included some of those photos of the bat he was using in 2004 playoffs. I'd stay away from that bat on ebay. Hope that helps.
greg

Oil Can Dan
11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I also could not find a picture of Ortiz using a bat that looks like that one during the 2003 ALCS online. I also popped in my tapes of each of the games and did not see him using a bat like that. I don't intend to throw a dart here, but I am curious to know how it is Malta & Taube felt justified in citing use during the '03 ALCS on their COA.

33bird
11-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Me too.

jon_8_us
11-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Do either contribute to the forum?I would love to hear how they came to this conclusion.It is pretty obvious through photo's and video that this bat was not used during games in the 03 ALCS.....
jon