Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GMEN92
    • Jan 2013

photo matched -VS- COA

Hey just wondering if a photo matched jersey with no coa is actually better then a jersey with a coa and no photo match thanks! Any input would help..
  • Jags Fan Dan
    • Apr 2007

Re: photo matched -VS- COA

Photo match beats any COA.

Comment

• marino13
      • Feb 2010

I will have to say COA from disputable company - not some flybynight characters.

As for photomatch - this term is so overly used with very little meaning. Unless you have super-high-resolution pictures of every distinguish details, a couple generic of "similar styling match" aint going to do it!

If I am going to spend heavy on any item, I will take LOA over photomatch any day of the week!

Unless it is under $500 and I just really want it, then I will bypass the LOA and go with BS photomatch.

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
        • Apr 2007

A photo match means you can tell with 100 percent certainty that the item being discussed is the exact item being worn by the player in a specific photo. Anyone using any other definition is mis-using the term, as I understand it.

Comment

• ousooner_85
          • Aug 2012

I would favor the rock solid photo match over one's opinion that "said player" wore/used the item. All these run of the mill expert authority authenticators are amusing to me. We all know the handful of companies that are relieable, the rest remind me copy machine/used car salesman.

Comment

• GMEN92
            • Jan 2013

Thanks guys.. and yea i would have to agree if your saying its photomatched then theres no doubt in the image you see in photo and have in hand.. i am talking more in reference to football so i guess at times it might be easier to judge and compare stains and dirt etc.. so therefore it would leave no question its legit.

Comment

• frikativ54
              • Dec 2007

To me, both are important. If an item has a team LOA, that's one of the only times that I would buy something without a photomatch. The same is the case with an MLB hologram.

However, I also value the photomatch. Once I can match something, I, without a doubt, can say that it was used in a particular at-bat or game. That really is reassurance to me.

Then, there are the items that only style-match. If I get them from a reputable source, then that may be enough, depending upon the item. Or it will even suffice on an item that I likely wouldn't be able to photomatch, like spikes.
              Les Zukor
              bagwellgameused@gmail.com
              Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
              (617) 682-0408

Comment

• mbenga28
                • Nov 2008

Have any of you had a situation where you had an LOA that dates the piece to a specific game, but photo matching shows it was used for another game and never for the one listed on the LOA? Would this make the LOA useless then?

Comment

• ousooner_85
                  • Aug 2012

I've seen this happen numerous times with several different companies (both well respected companies and a few suspect at best).

Comment

• Phil316
                    • May 2013

I would take a true photomatch before any piece of paper.

Comment

• emann
                      • Nov 2008

I'd take photomatch also... Also, holo'd as "team-issued" with a photomatch beats holo'd as "game used" without photomatch to me anyday.

Comment

• Misha
                        • Apr 2013

Speaking of LOAs, the Oakland A's have sold a lot of items with them. How trustworthy would u rate an item on eBay with one of these? They look pretty simple, have there been any cases of forged Oakland team LOAs?

Comment

• emann
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Misha
                          Speaking of LOAs, the Oakland A's have sold a lot of items with them. How trustworthy would u rate an item on eBay with one of these? They look pretty simple, have there been any cases of forged Oakland team LOAs?
                          Unless you're buying it from the club direct (or a really trustworthy seller), this is precisely why you'd want a photomatch.

I'd never trust a team letter by itself, certainly not on anything big ticket. If you're talking a $75 A's cap or something, that's not a big deal... But, if you're talking a $500 or $1,000 jersey you're getting into some risk.

You need to weigh out all the other factors: how does the item look? can you find a photomatch? does the letter match other letters that are known to be good? who is the seller? etc.

Comment

• lengthwise1
                            • May 2013

Cant beat a quality photo match. I am a big Rockies collector, so pinstripes always help!!
                            Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

Comment

• G1X
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Phil316
                              I would take a true photomatch before any piece of paper.
                              +1
                              I have a drawer full of COAs and similar paperwork that contain errors. Some come from very reputable sources. Trust your eyes in what you see, and trust your ears in what you hear.

Mark Hayne
                              Gridiron Exchange
                              gixc at verizon dot net

Comment

Working...