PDA

View Full Version : Meeting a Player

toddhead
05-30-2013, 01:27 PM
I had a moment last night where my expectation were actually dwarfed by the actual experience. Earlier this year at a Potomac Nationals game a Salem Red Sox player, Garin Cecchini, tossed my daughter a ball during a game. Although this is a simple and common occurrence at minor league games it actually opened the world of baseball and collecting to her. It truly meant the world to me, so I decided to hunt down a game used jersey of his to help add to the experience. I was able to purchase his USA Baseball 18U jersey from a fellow member and then I set to get it signed when they came back up this way. Last night we were able to make it to a game and had the chance to meet him. As he was signing the ball for my daughter I explained how much it meant to me that he tossed her that ball and when I pulled out his jersey for him to sign he was in shock. He picked it up, looked it over, talked about it a bit, and then asked if he could take it back into the clubhouse. When he came out he said he had gotten a picture taken with it and showed it to Sean Coyle who was on the team with him. As he was signing the jersey he had a huge smile on his face and said it was the “coolest thing he has ever signed”. After that we talked for a bit and he spent a few minutes talking to my daughter and then brought her out on the field so I could take a picture of the two of them together. He also took the time to personalize another jersey to both of my daughters. It was a magical experience as both a collector and a father.

Just wanted to share…

Jags Fan Dan
05-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Man, it is nice to read stuff like this. Glad it turned out better than you even imagined.

Klattsy
05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Thats cool. I can't wait for my son to grow up and I truly hope he shares my passion for baseball and GU memorabilia.

GoDodgers32
05-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Such an awesome story! Thanks for sharing! :)

frikativ54
05-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Absolutely fantastic. He's made a possibly lifelong fan. :)

greg678
05-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Great story! To me the story you get to tell about the item is even more important and interesting than the item itself. Your story definitely falls in this category!

G1X
05-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Todd,

Great story! Glad to hear that your visit to the Phitz turned out to be a memorable experience. Thanks for sharing.

Mark Hayne

jppopma
06-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Great story! It's always good to read these stories to counteract the many bad stories about players. Hopefully this interaction stays with him the rest of his career and helps him through the struggles of working to get to the bigs.

Sabo90
06-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Awesome story! I dont think a lot of players will ever know what something as simple as a smile, or conversation means to others. I will be watching this kid. Thanks for sharing.

ChrisCavalier
06-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing.

-Chris