PDA

View Full Version : RE: Steiner Holos/Certs

KTroublesome
05-30-2013, 09:13 PM
I have a couple 2008 Game Used World Series balls that each have Steiner holos on them. I am not worried about the authentication but at the same time I wouldn't mind getting Steiner to reissue the physical certs. When I contacted them directly I was told they only reissue them to the original purchaser. Anyone know how to get them to do this?

trsent
05-31-2013, 01:24 AM
I have a couple 2008 Game Used World Series balls that each have Steiner holos on them. I am not worried about the authentication but at the same time I wouldn't mind getting Steiner to reissue the physical certs. When I contacted them directly I was told they only reissue them to the original purchaser. Anyone know how to get them to do this?

Ask them why they have this policy if their holograms are supposed to be one of the best in the business, why won't they back them up when a customer is looking to replace their paper certificate.

I have not heard of any other companies with this policy. If you have a properly hologramed item, they should honor their certificate reissue for anyone - if they believe in their holograms.

Wrigley2010
05-31-2013, 02:02 AM
I think your going to have a tough time getting a replacement without knowing the original purchaser. It's a terrible policy and doesn't surprise me coming from Steiner. The company also has no way of looking up a serial numbered hologram on their website any longer. TriStar, UDA, Mounted Memories, MLB, Schwartz, JSA and PSA all offer this to their customers which in my opinion makes them superior companies... That is unless your looking for exclusive Yankee items from the likes of Jeter or dirt then Steiner has what your looking for. I do own lots of Steiner autographed items so I do feel that they offer some great autographed items just not very well documented.

marino13
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
I am curious of exactly what are you trying to accomplish.

You want a lost certificate to be reprinted?

Or?

I do have my fair share of LOA reprinted for some of my items. As long as the hologram doesn't look/appeared to be tampered with (accident or not), the right person would replaced it without much of a hitch.

But since there are people who tried and unsuccessfully tampered with some high-end item and they are looking for a quick bucks by requesting a duplicate LOA to make the item legit, this is why Steiner is very strict when it comes to LOA replacement.

BCowan
05-31-2013, 01:20 PM
KTroublesome, I wanted to respond to this thread to first of all apologize for whoever you spoke to and any mis-information you seem to have received. Steiner Sports policy is not that we only re-issue COA's for items to the original purchase. Marino is correct we do have a very strict policy because authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years. Our policy regarding replacement COA’s or LOA’s is you need to contact us and set up to send the item you need authenticity on back to us. From there we will examine the item and make sure everything checks out and matches up and if it does we will issue a replacement COA for $50. This has always been our policy regardless of who made the purchase. Our concern isn’t who bought the item it’s about protecting the Steiner brand and standing behind “the Steiner seal means it’s real” philosophy. If there’s anything at all I can do to help you in this process please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 914-307-1004.

Brooks Cowan
Associate Director of Retail Sales
Steiner Sports

BCowan
05-31-2013, 01:23 PM
KTroublesome, I wanted to respond to this thread to first of all apologize for whoever you spoke to and any mis-information you seem to have received. Steiner Sports policy is not that we only re-issue COA's for items to the original purchase. Marino is correct we do have a very strict policy because authenticity and integrity of a product is not only paramount but what we've built our company and reputation on over the past 25 years. Our policy regarding replacement COA’s or LOA’s is you need to contact us and set up to send the item you need authenticity on back to us. From there we will examine the item and make sure everything checks out and matches up and if it does we will issue a replacement COA for $50. This has always been our policy regardless of who made the purchase. Our concern isn’t who bought the item it’s about protecting the Steiner brand and standing behind “the Steiner seal means it’s real” philosophy. If there’s anything at all I can do to help you in this process please don’t hesitate to give me a call at 914-307-1004.

Brooks Cowan
Steiner Sports

indyred
05-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Never a good idea for companies to replace COA. If you lost it tough luck. If you lose or misplace game used item, would they replace that? We don't need more stuff for scammers to work.

I like how MeiGray handles this. I believe they won't replace any COA, no matter what. You get one when you buy it and that is it. Why stuff bought direct from them sells for a premium.

sportsnbikes
05-31-2013, 06:15 PM
B Cowan...$50 to replace a COA? That's quite pricey IMO.

Don't tell me that rate is for this that and the other. You guys already make money hand over fist with the price of your items.

KTroublesome
06-05-2013, 10:03 AM

Brooks Cowan
Steiner Sports

thanks for the response. appreciate you clearing it all up.

nevrdiez34
06-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Don't tell me that rate is for this that and the other. You guys already make money hand over fist with the price of your items.

+1

marino13
06-05-2013, 03:03 PM

I would doubt that you want to replace LOA/COA if your item is less than $500. But if your item is over $1,000 or so, $50 is a drop in the bucket for a piece of mind (for both seller and buyer).

I paid to have a couple Jeter's gamer re-authenticated. The little plastic card is so easy to be misplaced. As for the letter, if you are not careful, it looked just like any piece of paper!

And the worst part, after going through stress and waiting period, I found them in the bottom of moving boxes (which I was about to shred)

TNTtoys
06-05-2013, 09:54 PM

I disagree here. Based on what Brooks is stating, they do a fair bit more than reprint a cert. They are examining the item, and in effect re-authenticating it. I'm sure if you take the item to another authenticator out there, they have their own standard fees.

At the end of the day, it's up to you if it's your item. Like any item, you just might not want to go through this process and cost if the item is not worth very much, but if it is a pricy item, this might be a good move.

sportsnbikes
06-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I disagree here. Based on what Brooks is stating, they do a fair bit more than reprint a cert. They are examining the item, and in effect re-authenticating it. I'm sure if you take the item to another authenticator out there, they have their own standard fees.

At the end of the day, it's up to you if it's your item. Like any item, you just might not want to go through this process and cost if the item is not worth very much, but if it is a pricy item, this might be a good move.

Certainly entitled to your own opinion. To me, it's just another way for the rich to get richer. I understand your points but to me 25 is more reasonable. It covers the costs involved, protects consumers and protects the good name Steiner has built.

We can agree to disagree and that's ok. As you said, if I don't like the service I don't have to use it. :o)

Phil316
06-06-2013, 12:14 AM
IMO having to reissue a COA should be more than 50.00. It should be more of a lesson learned type thing. You lose it you pay up and hopefully you will keep better track of your stuff otherwise you pay up.

short84
06-06-2013, 08:25 AM
I disagreee. I have purchased items from Steiner where THEY screwed up. I have a game used Chris Canty jersey (shows incredible use and not washed) with a game used hologram attached that was sent to me directly from Steiner but they "forgot" to incude the LOA with the shipment. When I contacted them, I was basically told there was nothing they could do. I have a game used Dallas Cowboys football that is from a Thanksgiving game vs the Dolphins and they included the WRONG LOA (the LOA I received is for a game ball used against the Redskins - the hologram on the LOA doesn't match the one on the football). I have in my possession a Brady James throwback jersey that has a game used Steiner Sports hologram attached (jersey shows game use), the hologram attached to the LOA matches the jersey but the LOA says it is a "game issued" jersey. I have another Dallas Cowboys jersey that has 2 Steiner holograms attached -- one is a game issued and the other is game used. The LOA that came with the jersey has the matching game used jersey hologram attached to it but it says the jersey is "game issued" although it shows game use and I have photomatched it.

Every time I tried to work something out with Steiner Sports, I was ignored or told it was not their fault -- REALLY? In my opinion, their customer service sucks and to expect a former (note I said FORMER) customer to spend additional money and pay more for them to correct their own screw ups is not acceptable.

BCowan
06-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Short, we can definitely help with the Canty LOA. I apologize if you've had some issues with that but give me a call and we will get this squared away for you. 914-307-1004.

808jerseys
06-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Hey BCowen
If your from Steiner, nice going taking care of Short !
Looking forward to continued business with Steiner.
Happy collecting
Rex

marino13
06-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh boy.

Here we go with the "game used" and "game issued" again.

Brooks, please be mindful that there were A LOT of Cowboys Jerseys sold in the past as "game issued". Even though, some of the jerseys have obvious "used" on them, there MUST have been reasons why they were stated as such -- "GAME ISSUED".

Now, with the "lost/misplaced" LOA/COA scenario, and you are replacing them as "game used", you are OPENING UP a can of FRAUDs and potential "FRAUD".

If you are going to fixed with $50 fees, what stop others from making the same excuse - with missing LOA/COA for "game issued", and requesting duplicate LOA/COA for "game used".

BamaHater
06-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Most places and I guess Steiner included will only classify a jersey game used if they can actually verify the jersey was worn by that particular player. If they have a rep. say in the locker room after a game and witness the player taking the jersey off, it can be classified as game used. Many times the jerseys are worn and at a later date collected to be sold. Even though the jersey looks to be worn, there is no way to say the wear is from game use besides photo matching and a company would never take the time to do that. Who is to say at a later date after the game a clubhouse guy takes some star player jerseys and fakes use on them to make them appear used. If Steiner sells them as game used and it later comes out they were not used they have a real problem. It's covering you ass.

BCowan
06-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Bama you pretty much summed it up with your analysis and are correct. Marino I understand and appreciate your point of view I am not looking to start any kind of fraud incidents or reclassify something that is listed as issued as used or vice versa. My intention is simply to help someone who didn't get what they should have with their purchase and feels like Steiner Sports doesn't care.