PDA

View Full Version : Do we take this amazing hobby for granted at times?

scottishcowboy41
06-01-2013, 04:16 AM
In my Dallas Cowboys collection I have 8 photomatched game used jerseys, 3 photomatched practice used jerseys, a photomatched helmet, some game used gloves and a player equipment travel bag. I have the game helmet on display along with some signed mini-helmets and photo's etc, but due to my girlfriend "not understanding", all my jerseys have to live in a closet, all on hangers, with an even gap between each one.

As your collection grows I feel you can sometimes take these jerseys for granted. But every few days I will open, what my 2 1/2 year old son calls "the Cowboys cupboard" (at least he's on board!) and the sight of these jerseys all neatly lined up can kind of take your breath away!

For example, I recently picked up a navy blue 2009 Orlando Scandrick game used jersey. It arrived a couple of days ago and it got me thinking. It really is truly truly amazing that this very jersey arrived at some stage at the Cowboys facility, was customized and prepared for Scandrick by the equipment team, travelled with the team to Tampa, was put on by Scandrick in the locker-room, was there for the pre-game speech, waited in the tunnel before going out onto the field, took a real pounding for a full NFL game and was very much part of the action, was part of the post-win locker room team buzz, before being taken off by Scandrick and going unwashed up to New York to Steiner, to then go to a private collector or two before ending up in my closet over the United Kingdom nearly 4 years later! It really is amazing! An unwashed jersey that was worn in a NFL game, by a star pro-athlete I hold in very high regard, ends up on a hanger in my house! If you think about it, it's unbelievable!

As we all get ever-more deeply immersed in the GUU world, always looking and searching for the next gamer, the ownership of these stunning one-of-a-kind items is definitely not something to take for granted, if you take a step back and look at the big picture and the crazy journeys your existing prized possessions have been on. It is something very special. Have look at your collection again today and have a wow moment!

Christ0pher
06-01-2013, 08:19 AM
I have the exact same problem as you. My girlfriend doesn't understand at all, thinks it is junk, and thinks I am a hoarder. That is why I stepped away from the hobby for a few years and it was a big mistake. Hopefully you will teach your son to truly appreciate this wonderful hobby!

Claymore
06-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I look at my stuff most days and think that im lucky to have them...i dont have much game used stuff but even the autographed items that i have its great to think that the player had handled them, even the players that are no longer with us.

ChuckFoPrez
06-01-2013, 08:47 AM
To quote Wayne Carini "It's all about the chase."

Finding something new, hunting it down, digging up history, in addition to finding all of this cool sports stuff is what I'm in it for. I'm just happy to have people like Eric around and in the hobby to create communities of us like-minded individuals!

MarlinsFan1993
06-01-2013, 10:32 AM
In my Dallas Cowboys collection I have 8 photomatched game used jerseys, 3 photomatched practice used jerseys, a photomatched helmet, some game used gloves and a player equipment travel bag. I have the game helmet on display along with some signed mini-helmets and photo's etc, but due to my girlfriend "not understanding", all my jerseys have to live in a closet, all on hangers, with an even gap between each one.

As your collection grows I feel you can sometimes take these jerseys for granted. But every few days I will open, what my 2 1/2 year old son calls "the Cowboys cupboard" (at least he's on board!) and the sight of these jerseys all neatly lined up can kind of take your breath away!

For example, I recently picked up a navy blue 2009 Orlando Scandrick game used jersey. It arrived a couple of days ago and it got me thinking. It really is truly truly amazing that this very jersey arrived at some stage at the Cowboys facility, was customized and prepared for Scandrick by the equipment team, travelled with the team to Tampa, was put on by Scandrick in the locker-room, was there for the pre-game speech, waited in the tunnel before going out onto the field, took a real pounding for a full NFL game and was very much part of the action, was part of the post-win locker room team buzz, before being taken off by Scandrick and going unwashed up to New York to Steiner, to then go to a private collector or two before ending up in my closet over the United Kingdom nearly 4 years later! It really is amazing! An unwashed jersey that was worn in a NFL game, by a star pro-athlete I hold in very high regard, ends up on a hanger in my house! If you think about it, it's unbelievable!

As we all get ever-more deeply immersed in the GUU world, always looking and searching for the next gamer, the ownership of these stunning one-of-a-kind items is definitely not something to take for granted, if you take a step back and look at the big picture and the crazy journeys your existing prized possessions have been on. It is something very special. Have look at your collection again today and have a wow moment!

Just like you I have thought about the journey my jerseys have taken to find themselves in my collection and it's amazing to consider! That is the reason I got into this hobby in the first place. Well said man!

scottishcowboy41
06-01-2013, 10:57 AM
I have the exact same problem as you. My girlfriend doesn't understand at all, thinks it is junk, and thinks I am a hoarder. That is why I stepped away from the hobby for a few years and it was a big mistake. Hopefully you will teach your son to truly appreciate this wonderful hobby!

Yeah, the brain washing of my son has begun, lol! His vocabulary is good for being age 2 1/2 but for quite a while now, he's be able to say, clear as day, "Dallas Cowboys" "Terence Newman" "Dwayne Harris" and "Dez Bryant" It's so cute! He has recognised the Lone Star logo for about a year now too! He can throw a tiny football and says "Set! Hut!" before he does it, lol! As I live in the UK he will end up liking soccer like most British kids, but at least he can enjoy watching real football with me!

scottishcowboy41
06-01-2013, 11:06 AM
To quote Wayne Carini "It's all about the chase."

Finding something new, hunting it down, digging up history, in addition to finding all of this cool sports stuff is what I'm in it for. I'm just happy to have people like Eric around and in the hobby to create communities of us like-minded individuals!

Don't get me wrong, I love looking for new items too and when the postman arrives with a parcel containing another Cowboys gamer, my heart gets going for sure! I was just making the point to appreciate what we have in our collections already too, as all game used items are special because of what they have been experienced on their unique journeys to our homes.

As I live in the United Kingdom, as a football fan and game used collector, you can feel a little isolated. So finding GUU has been amazing for me too!

sportsnbikes
06-01-2013, 11:06 AM
I guess I am pretty lucky then. My fiance is completely on board with the collection I am building. We even call it 'our' stuff, even though I'm the one who mostly searches and does the buying.

One day I will have a room to display it all...hopefully sooner rather than later. I know she is completely on board with this as well.

I don't understand how you partner doesn't support your hobby and the joy you find in it. Reminds me of that country song about the woman making the man choose between fishing and her. Needless to say, the line goes, "I'm going to miss her".

Claymore
06-01-2013, 01:19 PM
My wife doesnt like any of the stuff i buy either...

one time she asked me.." how many footballs and helmets do you need ? "..

to which i replied..." how many pair of shoes and handbags do you need ? "..

enough said !! :D

ChuckFoPrez
06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
My wife doesnt like any of the stuff i buy either...

one time she asked me.." how many footballs and helmets do you need ? "..

to which i replied..." how many pair of shoes and handbags do you need ? "..

enough said !! :D

Proof that sometimes your best defense is a good offense, lol

jppopma
06-10-2013, 10:23 PM
The more items you get in your collection the worse it gets. In the beginning, I'd look over a jersey; up and down, inside and outside, and really enjoy all of the minor details of it. Sometimes I am so busy that I will receive a jersey, pack it away and just forget I even have it. :(

I sometimes worry that having so many items in a way is ruining it for my kids because they do not get to experience the specialness of them.

Jdon64
06-10-2013, 11:19 PM
I too absolutely love not only the hunt of the item. But once I receive it. I love the hours of research on finding that perfect photomatch for it and / or history of your item. How many touchdowns scored, how many games it was used in etc.
What really blows me away with a few of my game used Chargers Jerseys. Some came from games that I was either at or watched on TV not knowing 10+ years later I would own and have those Jerseys from my favorite players displayed in my home. Kind of crazy when I sit and think about it.

jake33
06-11-2013, 03:50 PM
This hobby has turned into people having legitmate wish lists. I guess in many ways that is great. It's crazy to me that msot of us and go to the WANTS page and have very specific and narrowed wnats and many times run that items down

However, I really liked the hobby when the philosophy was more so "take what the defense gives you".

When I was young I judt wanted to get ANY game used Buccaneers jersey, didn't matter the player. Now, I can have a wish list of what I believe will come up on Ebay or NFL auctions and just wait it out.

hairyangryfella
06-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Interesting topic.

When I got my first game jerseys I was in awe. They were beautiful. They were actually worn by a professional player in a professional game. I was amazed and delighted.

Then I wanted more.

And as I got more, I seemed to appreciate the item less and just wanted the player more. Especially as some of my purchases were of less than star players. I wanted a bigger name.

Just the other day I discovered one of my first gamers and was like "oh yeah, that one". Made me smile, but I didn't even unpack it again to look at it.
Yes, I think I have lost some appreciation for my items and the hobby has become more of a 'who's who' than just 'wow'.

The Mrs never really cared or understood, though she certainly didn't mind the money that came in when I sold a few of them to fund our vacation!! :p

I kind of want one more 'star' player, then to be done. It's just finding (and being able to outbid more wealthy people) that's the problem there...