PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knoop 1966 Angels jersey - what's going on?

Mark17
06-01-2013, 10:52 AM
There are 2 Bobby Knoop 1966 Angels home jerseys out there, that have almost identical name in tail and wash/set tagging. One is Rawlings with the "9" in "29" missing:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auctions/AuctionItem?AuctionId=78466&t=Open&p=0

One is Spalding and looks complete:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281115236616&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

A few questions:
1. Do they both look legit?
2. Did Rawlings and Spalding both use the same wash/set tagging?
3. Was the Name in Tail done by the team (to explain why they look so similar)?
4. And finally, did the Angels have both Rawlings and Spalding home jerseys in 1966?

Thanks much for your help - I purchased the Spalding one, having confidence in it, as it originated from REA's 2012 auction. If it isn't right I'd sure like to know, and the sooner the better.
-Mark

sox83cubs84
06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Mark:

Here's what I can come up with:

Both look OK for their team and respective manufacturers. Dual manufacturers on the same tea./year/style happened occasionally in the 1960s (we even had it with a few teas in the 1990s).

Both companies used the same tagging formats (flag tag, NIT/NIC, etc) in that era. It always made me wonder whether or not there was some connection between the two suppliers.

Not sure if the team did the tagging, but apparently the same source did.

Finally, I think they're both OK. You certainly aren't going to forge a shirt and then remove a number, and, while flannels overall are tough, the Angels are one of the least difficult teams to find, relatively. Finally, Knoop, while a regular, wasn't a big star, so the incentive to forge one likely wouldn't be strong/profitable enough.

Overall, I think the eBay one is a decent buy, and the AMI example could be, depending on price realized.

Dave Miedema

Mark17
06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks Dave, as always I appreciate it!

I guess what struck me as odd was the same common player, same year, two home shirts, popping up at the same time. And I was coming to the same conclusion you seem to be, that the tail similarities between Rawlings and Spalding, right down to the green thread, seem to point to some connection in the manufacturing process somewhere along the line.