PDA

View Full Version : Building a dot com website to display your collection - how many of y'all have done this?

Preston
06-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Hey guys,

I'm wanting some advice on building a dot com website to display my Titans collection - I'm looking for several things to get a domain name and I'm not sure how realistic it is or what the prices are but here's what I'm wanting:

1. Something relatively cost-effective (obviously I don't want to break the bank but I want to use something that doesn't suck either

2. A website that's fairly easy to build through a host (a good friend uses wordpress.org and she swears by it but I'd like to get some other opinions as well)

3. Something that, after it's built, navigates fairly easily and doesn't look like crap.

4. Something that has ample amount of storage for pictures etc. I don't want a million pages on my site but I want to branch off into galleries.

Again, any help would be MUCH appreciated because, while looking at wordpress, I feel like my dog trying to read quantum physics...

otismalibu
06-04-2013, 09:25 PM
I just used a template at Webs. Pretty basic, but it's better looking than the old Geocities page I had. Maybe I'll try a different layout at some point.
Domain name, privacy protection, ad-free fee might add up to about $50/year.

Preston
06-04-2013, 09:28 PM
I just used a template at Webs. Pretty basic, but it's better looking than the old Geocities page I had. Maybe I'll try a different layout at some point.
Domain name, privacy protection, ad-free fee might add up to about $50/year.

Awesome - does it let you link to other pages if I wanted to, say, have a basic front page and then link to different aspects of my collection (i.e. a page for jerseys, page for gloves, etc)?

otismalibu
06-04-2013, 09:34 PM
Yeah, that's how I have my home page. All the pages are listed on the left and that list is visible regardless of what section you're in.
I've used 9MB of my 200MB of web storage. :)

Preston
06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah, that's how I have my home page. All the pages are listed on the left and that list is visible regardless of what section you're in.
I've used 9MB of my 200MB of web storage. :)
Whoa...dude your website looks awesome!

So I'm curious, 1. how easy is it to do all this for someone who is an html dummy? and 2. what do you pay (if you don't mind me asking) per year so I can kinda know what I'm getting (a really good quality site that works and looks good) for x price?

otismalibu
06-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Didn't use any HTML on this site. It's just adding photos and text boxes. Ever use the old programs for making greeting cards on your computer? Similar to that. Add photo, drag corner to get the size you want. Add text box, adjust size/font.

I originally had my domain name with GoDaddy and then was just using a redirect to my Webs address. That may have been a bit cheaper, but I think I'm right around $50 a year, now. I think it's cheaper the first year you sign up. And if you don't mind ads on your page, you don't need to pay for ad-free.

There may be other cheaper and/or better sites to use. If you use Webs, I would recommend not editing in Chrome. Seems to be some glitches, so I used Firefox.

At the same time you were checking out my site, someone in Provo, UT spent 4 mins and 19 seconds checking out 7 different pages. You get that info too :D

Preston
06-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Didn't use any HTML on this site. It's just adding photos and text boxes. Ever use the old programs for making greeting cards on your computer? Similar to that. Add photo, drag corner to get the size you want. Add text box, adjust size/font.

I originally had my domain name with GoDaddy and then was just using a redirect to my Webs address. That may have been a bit cheaper, but I think I'm right around $50 a year, now. I think it's cheaper the first year you sign up. And if you don't mind ads on your page, you don't need to pay for ad-free.

There may be other cheaper and/or better sites to use. If you use Webs, I would recommend not editing in Chrome. Seems to be some glitches, so I used Firefox.

At the same time you were checking out my site, someone in Provo, UT spent 4 mins and 19 seconds checking out 7 different pages. You get that info too :D

Hmm...so would editing in regular google be good (you mean google chrome I assume lol)? I do have Mozilla Firefox and could use it. $50 a year isn't bad at all. Extremely manageable. I'm definitely gonna take a look at it and try to figure out what I'm doing.

That's really cool you get info like that - makes you wonder sometimes ha ha

otismalibu
06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Yeah, Google Chrome didn't always work for editing, so I use Firefox.

Can't recall which member it is, but he has a list of collector sites on his website. Find that and you can see a variety of styles.

frikativ54
06-04-2013, 10:47 PM
I really don't think Wordpress is that bad, once you get used to it. I built my website, http://www.bagwellgameused.com using it.

Nnunnari
06-04-2013, 11:40 PM
I used wix.com which is very easy, many templates and free. You can pay to have the domain changed.

Dewey2007
06-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Double P,

I used Webs.com to build my Alameda Sports Project website and if this html challenged collector can do it you should have no problem!

http://www.alamedasportsproject.com/

Dewey

packfan84
06-05-2013, 01:31 AM
I started using webs.com and am having a difficult time getting anything built in there. Nothing will line up or do anything I want it to, also have a very limited option on themes and backgrounds. Been pulling my hair out for the past 2 hours. Wish I could go back to the days of Front Page.

Samets
06-05-2013, 09:59 AM
No problems with Webs.com

I wish I could have multiple album pages and layout for albums could use some tweaking...

Rob L
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Webs.com is easy!

gingi79
06-05-2013, 06:18 PM
I used webs.com for both of mine

halzeus
06-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Mine is www.mywolverines.com

Domain name from GoDaddy and free hosting at weebly.com

Good luck.

Preston
06-05-2013, 08:36 PM
All this is extremely useful info, but I'm still confused about a couple things:

If I subscribe to this "enhanced" package on webs . com, does that include the dot com as well?

Also, are there advantages to using godaddy . com to register your domain name, and then having it moved to webs . com? I guess I'm trying to do the easiest option and also one that's cost-friendly.

And Greg (Otis) what theme are you using for your home page? I really like the layout a lot.

otismalibu
06-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't know what it's called. Dewey used it for his too (below).

The only thing I didn't like about having my Domain thru GoDaddy was that I could only make it redirect to my webs page. So if you typed in my URL, it would just take you to my Webs home page. If I wanted to send you a link to one specific page of my site, I would need to copy and paste the Webs address and send. If you follow.

Preston
06-05-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't know what it's called. Dewey used it for his too (below).

The only thing I didn't like about having my Domain thru GoDaddy was that I could only make it redirect to my webs page. So if you typed in my URL, it would just take you to my Webs home page. If I wanted to send you a link to one specific page of my site, I would need to copy and paste the Webs address and send. If you follow.

That makes sense - so basically doing it all through webs.com probably isn't a bad idea?

otismalibu
06-05-2013, 09:11 PM
There are probably cheaper alternatives, but this works for me.
Keep in mind they don't really offer any specials and they have no phone support.

Preston
06-05-2013, 09:26 PM
There are probably cheaper alternatives, but this works for me.
Keep in mind they don't really offer any specials and they have no phone support.

They are currently running a special now that basically (if I sign up for 2 years) it's $5.02 per month, easy site builder tool w/ unlimited pages, ad free, premium themes, priority 24/7 customer support, my domain name, etc. That sounds manageable at $60 bucks a year for all that. It's "on sale" as we speak, too.

packfan84
06-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Just wondering if anyone has run into copyright problems by posting Getty shots or MLB TV screenshots?

packfan84
06-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Got my Texas Rangers site built. Here it is to check out and drop me some feedback.
www.collectingarlington.com (http://www.collectingarlington.com)

Working on a St. Louis Blues site now.

cyclonenation
06-09-2013, 04:36 PM
I did it, pretty easy. Has also helped me expand my collection.

HawaiiSportsNut
06-11-2013, 12:33 AM
My wife is a computer programmer/systems administrator so she made my Kurt Suzuki website.

http://www.guppies4me.com/suzuki/

packfan84
06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Finished my second site for my St. Louis Blues Collection. WWW.collectingthenote.com

Preston
06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Finished my second site for my St. Louis Blues Collection. WWW.collectingthenote.com (http://WWW.collectingthenote.com)

Looks really good! What site did you use to build yours?

packfan84
06-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks! I used Webs.

Preston
06-13-2013, 06:56 PM
OK I'm now officially a website owner (woohoo!)

So I'm curious, I'm doing the layout for my site and am trying to figure out how to put links down a sidebar like some of the ones I've seen on here (via webs), as opposed to putting them on the top. Anyone have a theme recommendation for this? Also one more question - I typed 3 paragraphs of text and put a photo on my homepage but when I went to add a page and came back to the homepage, all that was gone. Not sure what I did wrong...lol

Thanks in advance!

Preston
06-16-2013, 08:29 PM
bump...anyone else?

chrisShocker
06-16-2013, 09:00 PM
OK I'm now officially a website owner (woohoo)

what's the link to your site?

Preston
06-16-2013, 09:27 PM
what's the link to your site?

I haven't published it yet so I'm not sure if it's accessible, but it's www.titanscollection.com (http://www.titanscollection.com) I assume once I publish it the "-com.webs.com" part goes away...or at least it better because I paid for a dot com.

chrisShocker
06-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I haven't published it yet so I'm not sure if it's accessible, but it's www.titanscollection.com (http://www.titanscollection.com) I assume once I publish it the "-com.webs.com" part goes away...or at least it better because I paid for a dot com.

The link worked, the website looks good man! Great collection! are you just putting up your Titans stuff?

Preston
06-16-2013, 09:39 PM
The link worked, the website looks good man! Great collection! are you just putting up your Titans stuff?

I appreciate it sir! I believe so but I may have a link on there to other stuff I collect.

Any idea how to get the categories (i.e. game jerseys, game helmets, etc) down the left hand column vs being on the top row and having to click "more" to see the remainder of them? If I can just get that fixed and the background uploaded that I want, I'll be ready to publish thing thing officially!

packfan84
06-17-2013, 01:03 AM
To get the links down the left side, create a text box and type in the page names. Then hyperlink each one to the page you want it to go to. Thing that sucks is you need to do this to each page individually.

To make them disappear from the bar, click on the Pages link in the top right area and go to the page list. There is a menu available and an option to hide these pages from the menu bar. Hope that helps.

chrisShocker
07-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Hey Preston, I was wondering if you had any Denver items you'd be willing to part with.

misteremu
07-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Preston, if you would consider selling the Jason Jones jersey, please shoot me an email at misteremu@wowway.com.

I collect game used jerseys from players who attended eastern Michigan University, and I do not own a Jason Jones jersey yet....would love to add one to my collection.

sportsnbikes
07-12-2013, 05:45 PM
WIX.COM is the best out there.

Preston
07-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Hey Misteremu, I probably wouldn't part w/ this one but if I see another one I will definitely let you know.

www.titanscollection.com (http://www.titanscollection.com) - enjoy y'all!

grandpahoo
07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
bump...anyone else?

I use Yahoo Sitebuilder for my website, which I started a few years ago. It's pretty versatile and easy to use. I created my own homepage and templates, and I'm by no means tech-savvy. Here's a link to my site if you want to check it out: www.hoosfootball.com (http://www.hoosfootball.com).