PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Authentication explanation

jake33
06-10-2013, 05:50 PM
From going to Rays vs Indians and going to on field batting practice, I was able to get a game used jersey from the game. Interesting authentication on the jersey, calling it issued, but also that it was worn/dressed at the same time...

Hologram number EK708225 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under TEAM ISSUED JERSEY.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: TB AT CLE
Session Date: May 31, 2013
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: TAMPA BAY RAYS # 57 BLUE VISITORS JERSEY OF LHP JAKE MCGEE WHO DRESSED BUT DID NOT PLAY VS CLEVELAND 5-31-13. MAJESTIC AUTHENTIC SIZE 48. SET 2013

MarlinsFan1993
06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
From going to Rays vs Indians and going to on field batting practice, I was able to get a game used jersey from the game. Interesting authentication on the jersey, calling it issued, but also that it was worn/dressed at the same time...

Hologram number EK708225 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under TEAM ISSUED JERSEY.
Session Product Description:

Session Name: TB AT CLE
Session Date: May 31, 2013
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
Additional Information: TAMPA BAY RAYS # 57 BLUE VISITORS JERSEY OF LHP JAKE MCGEE WHO DRESSED BUT DID NOT PLAY VS CLEVELAND 5-31-13. MAJESTIC AUTHENTIC SIZE 48. SET 2013

This is really interesting and also a bit concerning because by MLB authentication standards a jersey is deemed game used even if a player sat the bench the whole game as long as he actually wore it "on field" regardless of actually playing in the game or not.

TwinLakesPark
06-10-2013, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]Additional Information: TAMPA BAY RAYS # 57 BLUE VISITORS JERSEY OF LHP JAKE MCGEE WHO DRESSED BUT DID NOT PLAY VS CLEVELAND 5-31-13. MAJESTIC AUTHENTIC SIZE 48. SET 2013[\QUOTE]

I have had this issue with some of the Rays pitchers before. They dress for the game but they do not dress in their jersey. For example, if you are watching the Rays game right now, Moore, Hellickson and Price are not dressed in their jerseys, they have the bench jacket on over an undershirt. I would interpret the description that Jake dressed (with a bench jacket on) and had the night off, so his jersey was still hanging in the locker for the game although he was on the bench.

MarlinsFan1993
06-10-2013, 11:49 PM
[QUOTE]Additional Information: TAMPA BAY RAYS # 57 BLUE VISITORS JERSEY OF LHP JAKE MCGEE WHO DRESSED BUT DID NOT PLAY VS CLEVELAND 5-31-13. MAJESTIC AUTHENTIC SIZE 48. SET 2013[\QUOTE]

I have had this issue with some of the Rays pitchers before. They dress for the game but they do not dress in their jersey. For example, if you are watching the Rays game right now, Moore, Hellickson and Price are not dressed in their jerseys, they have the bench jacket on over an undershirt. I would interpret the description that Jake dressed (with a bench jacket on) and had the night off, so his jersey was still hanging in the locker for the game although he was on the bench.

That's a very reasonable explanation, only thing is since McGee is a reliever I would think he most often dresses even if he is supposed to have the night off in case he is needed in an emergency. Whereas starting pitchers know they won't pitch unless it's their start that night.

jake33
06-11-2013, 05:18 AM
YEs, I saw Jake wearing the jersey earlier in the game, so I know he wore it.

The Ryas did this same thing with the last Rays jersey that Dan Johnson wore in game 4 of the ALDS in 2011. I have it video matched even, but since Johnson was not on the active roster, they listed it as "game issued" which I don't agree with.

dnrapp
06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
This is really interesting and also a bit concerning because by MLB authentication standards a jersey is deemed game used even if a player sat the bench the whole game as long as he actually wore it "on field" regardless of actually playing in the game or not.

MLB will only call a jersey "game used" if they saw it taken off the player right after the game. So to me the description means: the authenticator did not see it come directly from the player so in his mind he could only call it is "team issued". Since the session date was the same date as the game they put the added information to explain where the jersey came from.

xpress34
06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
This is a good example of where I try to distinguish the difference between Game WORN and Game USED.

As an example, I will use my 2007 Colorado Rockies WS Caps.

My Matt Holliday is Game USED - He wore it for three of the 4 games he played in.

My Jason Hirsh is Game WORN - He wasn't on the roster, but he did WEAR the cap on the bench for the series.

As far as Starting Pitchers, that is a fallacy that when they are wearing a warm up jacket or hoodie that they probably aren't wearing a jersey underneath because it's a day 'off' - at least in Colorado it's a fallacy. Many of the starting pitcher's over the years (Jason Jennings, Aaron Cook, Jeremy Guthre, Tyler Chatwood, etc) have always been dressed (even under their hoodies or warm up jackets) in case they get called in to be a pinch runner in a game.

Not saying it's a fallacy for all teams, but many other teas do use Starters on their 'off' days as Pinch Runners.

TwinLakesPark
06-11-2013, 12:59 PM
As far as Starting Pitchers, that is a fallacy that when they are wearing a warm up jacket or hoodie that they probably aren't wearing a jersey underneath because it's a day 'off' - at least in Colorado it's a fallacy. Many of the starting pitcher's over the years (Jason Jennings, Aaron Cook, Jeremy Guthre, Tyler Chatwood, etc) have always been dressed (even under their hoodies or warm up jackets) in case they get called in to be a pinch runner in a game.

Not saying it's a fallacy for all teams, but many other teas do use Starters on their 'off' days as Pinch Runners.

Please re-read my post, I spoke specifically of the Rays starting pitchers. My research (which is where I obtain my information) indicates they (Price, Moore, Hellickson and Cobb) do not wear their jerseys on their off days. Visual evidence, personal discussions and MLB authentication session analysis over the years is the basis of my statement. I have analyzed authentication sessions where all jerseys from that game were authenticated, and the only ones have the "Team Issued" designation were the starting pitchers who were off that day.

Fallacy in my statement? No sir.

TwinLakesPark
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
YEs, I saw Jake wearing the jersey earlier in the game, so I know he wore it.

The Ryas did this same thing with the last Rays jersey that Dan Johnson wore in game 4 of the ALDS in 2011. I have it video matched even, but since Johnson was not on the active roster, they listed it as "game issued" which I don't agree with.

It is my understanding that if you are not on the Active Roster then it can't receive a "Game Used" designation, regardless of whether it was worn or not.

jake33
06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
I have coach's jerseys deemed as game used and they are not on the active roster. Also, I had a Kyle Farnsworth 2012 rays openign day jersey deemed as game used when he was on the DL.

The McGee jersey was authenticated the day he wore the jersey.

The "Session Date" must be the date the authentication occurs, regardless when the jersey was worn. You can't back date the authentication program, but you can add dates/games to it.

I have a game used play off base that has an inital date of authentication but notes in the additional info section the other games the base was used in.

xpress34
06-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Please re-read my post, I spoke specifically of the Rays starting pitchers. My research (which is where I obtain my information) indicates they (Price, Moore, Hellickson and Cobb) do not wear their jerseys on their off days. Visual evidence, personal discussions and MLB authentication session analysis over the years is the basis of my statement. I have analyzed authentication sessions where all jerseys from that game were authenticated, and the only ones have the "Team Issued" designation were the starting pitchers who were off that day.

Fallacy in my statement? No sir.

Please re-read my post as well. I placed a qualifier at the end of that statement "at least in Colorado it's a fallacy."

I was putting that out there for others because not all teams do what the Rays do.