PDA

View Full Version : Helmet restoration

NEFAN
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I have a helmet that I got that was displayed in a smoking venue. After many gentle cleanings I got the smell off and the helmet cleaned but the facemask and clips show some yellowing and I'm afraid to mess with it.

I know some places restore old footballs, has anybody heard of someone who works on helmets? I looked on Helmet Hut and didn't see anything about it..

paul457
06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Funny timing - I have an old Wilson suspension helmet that I am looking to have repainted. So I am also looking for recommendations on reputable places that can paint my helmet.

I tried Helmet Hut, and and after two+ weeks of emails back and forth, trying to get an estimate, he quoted me $300 - $400 to paint my helmet. It was like pulling teeth. And then when I questioned them on the price he said forget it, and that he didn't want to paint my helmet. :rolleyes:

I have my feelers out to a few other places (one I have worked with in the past). If I get something 100% solid I will post here. I'm close now, but would like to hear suggestions.

Steelers25
06-13-2013, 05:25 PM
NEFAN, yourhelmetyourway.com does helmet restorations for i think $100, not sure if theres anything they can do for the yellowing of the facemask and clips though but i would definitely ask.

paul457, the also repaint helmets for $25, ive had a few custom helmets done by them. Heres a Ryan Clark Schutt custom i had them paint.
http://imageshack.us/a/img850/759/photo42mp.jpg

hope this helps

paul457
06-13-2013, 07:45 PM
NEFAN, yourhelmetyourway.com does helmet restorations for i think $100, not sure if theres anything they can do for the yellowing of the facemask and clips though but i would definitely ask.

paul457, the also repaint helmets for $25, ive had a few custom helmets done by them. Heres a Ryan Clark Schutt custom i had them paint.

hope this helps

Ha - that's actually who I am working with now - I have worked with them in the past and have always been happy with their service and products.

Steelers25
06-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Yeah they're really good over there, between me and my uncle, we've done 14 customs and almost everything has come from them or sportsdepot.com