Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bgold
    • Mar 2013

Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

I see blue wristbands and the ribbon but that's it, where are the blue bats, cleats etc? Where is the same charity outreach for prostate cancer in terms of game used gear in major league baseball?

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:
    • About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
    • About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
    About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
    Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. Nearly two thirds are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
    Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.
  • packfan84
    • Jan 2012

Re: Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

Great post! Totally agreed. I think they donate money for each homer that is hit this weekend if I'm not mistaken, but blue bats would be sweet.

Comment

• gingi79
      • Aug 2007

Re: Pink bats for mother's day (breast cancer), no blue bats for father's day (prostate cancer)?

Braves worn a small ribbon on their jerseys last years Father's Day
      Attached Files
      Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• NegleyPirate
        • Nov 2005

I totally agree with you. They should have blue game used bats. Why not?? All the money would go for a great cause!
        Michael T. Neville

My collection of bats,jersey's,ball's,etc.
        http://www.freewebs.com/negleypirate/

I collect game used stuff of Pittsburgh Pirates,Penguins,Steelers and Michael Jordan cards....

mtneville@att.net

4neville4@gmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
          • Aug 2006

Guys,

Do a search on this topic... there s a thread from either last yr or the year before.

Nick
          Looking for ...
          Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
          Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
          Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• momen55
            • Aug 2006

it's all about money man!

Comment

• colrise
              • Jun 2013

I agree that they should do as much as they do for Mother's Day. I also realize that it is probably more marketable with all the pink game items. The breast cancer awareness brings a different audience in with women from a sport that is mainly geared toward a male audience. It seems the NFL has caught on to this over the past few years and are making a lot of things pink during October since that is breast cancer awareness month. I am sure they are making a killing of these items. I did notice that there was a blue ribbon on the players jerseys today. Maybe MLB should devote a week during each month toward each cause. A week for breast cancer during the week leading into mothers day and the same for fathers day
              Jay

Interested in Astros, Rangers, Indians jerseys in old or current designs.

Comment

• frikativ54
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by colrise
                I agree that they should do as much as they do for Mother's Day. I also realize that it is probably more marketable with all the pink game items. The breast cancer awareness brings a different audience in with women from a sport that is mainly geared toward a male audience.
                +1.

This is a very good point and one to keep in mind.
                Les Zukor
                bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                (617) 682-0408

Comment

• metsbats
                  • Nov 2005

Here are some threads on Blue Bats.
                  metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• toddhead
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by bgold
                    I see blue wristbands and the ribbon but that's it, where are the blue bats, cleats etc? Where is the same charity outreach for prostate cancer in terms of game used gear in major league baseball?

Other than skin cancer, prostate cancer is the most common cancer in American men. The American Cancer Society’s estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2013 are:
                    • About 238,590 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed
                    • About 29,720 men will die of prostate cancer
                    About 1 man in 6 will be diagnosed with prostate cancer during his lifetime.
                    Prostate cancer occurs mainly in older men. Nearly two thirds are diagnosed in men aged 65 or older, and it is rare before age 40. The average age at the time of diagnosis is about 67.

Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.
                    Prostate cancer can be a serious disease, but most men diagnosed with prostate cancer do not die from it. In fact, more than 2.5 million men in the United States who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point are still alive today.

You seem to be passionate about this, why don't you try to do something about it? It'll never happen unless someone pushes the issue.
                    Always on the lookout for Garin Cecchini game used items especially Greenville Drive and Salem Red Sox jerseys.
                    I accept PM's so shoot me a message.

Comment

• bgold
                      • Mar 2013

David, a thousand thanks for the links, I have been trying to do a search for blue bats over the past few days, but the result is always the same, an error message.

Was not aware of the petition, but I don't see MLB being concerned about an over-saturation of specialty game used items on the market, there should be blue bats; I don't see a legitimate reason as to why not.

Again, just seems a bit curious and odd why prostate cancer doesn't get the full hoopla that women's breast cancer gets.

Prostate cancer is serious, and as I went through the threads, it's something that has touched many of our lives. Ed Randall, the longtime NYC sports radio and tv personality, has consistently pushed for men to get screened. I don't listen to his show much anymore, but his promotion of awareness left a lasting impression on me.

Comment

• metsbats
                        • Nov 2005

I still would like to see blue bats on Father's day too. The "saturating the market" is a lame excuse. Personally I think there is no equivalent of the Komen charity for prostate cancer which can pressure MLB to do the promotion.
                        metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• xpress34
                          • Sep 2008

I was surprised as much by the lack of Blue Bats as I was by the lack of Blue stitched baseballs.

They did the Pink Stitched Balls w/ Pink Stamping for Mother's Day this year as well... along with now doing Camo jerseys to go with the caps... I understand money goes to charity, but like others have said, it looks like a money grab by MLB as they just keep adding more items to the market.

Just my .02.

Comment

• MLB~NUT
                            • Feb 2011

Agreed... With as concerned as MLB is about $$$, Im blown away they haven't used Blue Bats, Blue Batting Gloves, and or Blue Cleats!

Comment

• bgold
                              • Mar 2013

To those that have found some humor regarding this topic: good for you.

Have you seen the quit smoking commercials where the women is being told by her Dr that she has lung cancer, how it's hard to hear that you have cancer from smoking? And the commercial moves on to her sitting with her kids, and the narration is something like, you thought it was hard hearing you have cancer, now your kids have to hear about it too, quit today etc.

If one wishes to smoke, go ahead, but a basic prostate screening, whether through DRE (digital rectal examination), or PSA (prostate specific antigen aka a blood test), is one that takes five seconds. I would be hard pressed to accept a proper excuse as to why one was not screened. It's a quick 1 2 3 thing; the test takes less time than your morning piss.

Now, I will get off my high horse about this, this is a collectors forum; just don't forget, this simple test can save not only your life, but make your loved ones' lives a lot less complicated and arduous.

It's one thing to be a smoker and be diagnosed with lung cancer, that's not something you haven't been told is coming, but it's another when you skipped out on a simple blood test...

Comment

Working...