PDA

View Full Version : MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap

gotagreatdog
07-03-2013, 08:07 PM
My friend has a MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap with a blue button. Does anybody know if it might have been worn on field? I've seen Spauling, Rawlings and McAuliffe on field caps but never MacGregor.

mueschoeir
07-05-2013, 05:38 AM
My friend has a MacGregor Brooklyn Dodgers cap with a blue button. Does anybody know if it might have been worn on field? I've seen Spauling, Rawlings and McAuliffe on field caps but never MacGregor.

I can tell you if you're able to post pictures. There were two variations of the MacGregor Goldsmith caps that were worn by the Dodgers on field up to about 1947/48.

gotagreatdog
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Here's some pics, please let me know - thanks!

gotagreatdog
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
And, that blue button has me stumped! I've only seen white buttons on Dodgers caps.

mueschoeir
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
And, that blue button has me stumped! I've only seen white buttons on Dodgers caps.

Thanks for the pictures. Don't worry about the blue button, there were several Dodgers caps that had this and from different manufacturers.

The cap looks legitimate at first sight but I'll have to check my database again tomorrow.

I'm a bit doubtful though whether it was game issued/worn, as I've seen several MacGregor Goldsmith hats that featured chainstitched player names on the leather sweatband.

Two things I'd like to know:

Is there any number/name anywhere on the hat?

Can you post a close up image of the logo, so that the stitching can be seen (if possible from in- and outside)?

cohibasmoker
07-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Looks like a Professional cap to me. Two things that stand out for me - the direct embroidery of the "B" and the leather sweatband. I think the stamping in the cap dates the cap circa 1945-52. I seem to remember that non-professional and/or retail caps during this era would have the team logo patches sewn onto the caps while professional caps had direct embroidery? Also, wouldn't a leather sweatband be unusual for a retail cap?

Nice cap.

cohibasmoker
07-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Looks like a Professional cap to me. Two things that stand out for me - the direct embroidery of the "B" and the leather sweatband. I think the stamping in the cap dates the cap circa 1945-52. I seem to remember that non-professional and/or retail caps during this era would have the team logo patches sewn onto the caps while professional caps had direct embroidery? Also, wouldn't a leather sweatband be unusual for a retail cap?

Nice cap.

Forgot to say, the cap was made to a specific size as opposed to an adjustable and/or small, medium or large sized cap.

gotagreatdog
07-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the info. Here's a closeup of the logo. One of the previous pics I posted has a good view of the logo from the inside.64164

gotagreatdog
07-06-2013, 11:32 PM
To answer the question about any name or number, no, there aren't any on the cap.

cohibasmoker
07-07-2013, 06:27 AM

Nice cap.

Below are a couple of examples of the types of caps I was referencing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-S-NEW-YORK-YANKEES-YOUTH-BASEBALL-CAP-/171067495428?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item27d46ad404 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-S-NEW-YORK-YANKEES-YOUTH-BASEBALL-CAP-/171067495428?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item27d46ad404)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Era-Washington-Senators-Souvenir-Baseball-Cap-/121136995065?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3453daf9 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Era-Washington-Senators-Souvenir-Baseball-Cap-/121136995065?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item1c3453daf9)

mueschoeir
07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
To answer the question about any name or number, no, there aren't any on the cap.

I can confirm that this is an authentic Brooklyn Dodgers hat most likely manufactured from 1947 to 1949. A similar one once believed to be worn by Jackie Robinson (tagged 42 inside the hat) was sold a couple of years ago.

Prior to 1947 the version featuring the logo on a patch was used, thus my estimation 47 to 49. However, I do own a New York Giants hat from 47/48, which still uses the patch, rather than direct embroidery.

One has to be aware though, that the Dodgers used so many different manufacturers throughout the years that it is hard to pinpoint specific dates.
The Dodgers initially had Spalding hats throughout the 40s, before switching to the MacGregor-Goldsmiths, which were followed by Rawlings and in 1951/52 by McAuliffe, which they wore up to 1958. There were also Wilson hats (using a logo patch) but they were used only were briefly, I believe in 1951.

A few oddities stick out: There were also some Dodgers hats in the market that were manufactured by Coane Knitting Mills in Pennsylvania, as well as New Era hats.

What is the provenance of this hat?

gotagreatdog
07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Thanks so much for the info. I'll see if my friend can provide any further provenance on it.

gotagreatdog
07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
He bought it at a Mears auction some years back & they gave him an LOA as team issued only, not a gamer.

mueschoeir
07-08-2013, 02:42 AM
He bought it at a Mears auction some years back & they gave him an LOA as team issued only, not a gamer.

Thanks for letting me know. If he's ever willing to sell, I'm more than interested :)

Here's a bit of an additional headscratcher, a very seldom seen Dodgers hat: